Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

1 minute ago, Mega Ron said:

Well it's not all I took from the games, but it is one thing.

Do I want him to be better for us? Yes, of course I do.

Do I think he will be? I don't know.

I'm left hoping that he will be, rather than believing in him.

I'm glad you have faith in him. More power to you.

What are your biggest concerns? It isn't arm strength or accuracy correct? Those are the things that you can't do much about. Handling pressure in the pocket? Seeing the field? Takes too many chances? Doesn't take enough chances? Has tells in his drop back?

What thing about him do you think is the biggest roadblock for him to reach good/great status?

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

What are your biggest concerns? It isn't arm strength or accuracy correct?

Arm strength absolutely not a concern. Accuracy pertaining to footwork/throwing off of platform due to sloppy mechanics, absolutely. His first 8 games he was at 57% or lower on completion rate, rating 32nd in the NFL. 

Handling pressure in the pocket?

Major concern, as demonstrated by his constant rolling to his right to escape pressure/perceived pressure instead of navigating within the pocket.

Seeing the field?

Slow to get to a secondary receiver and struggling with his presnap reads.

Takes too many chances? Doesn't take enough chances? Has tells in his drop back?

None except for taking too many chances and forcing things into coverage downfield.

What thing about him do you think is the biggest roadblock for him to reach good/great status?

Turnovers and reading a defense. If he can get better presnap at knowing and understanding where to go with the football and dial himself back and understanding that an incomplete pass and/or checkdown is much better than risking a chance 20+ yards downfield I think that he'll be fine.

Right now, he looks like a 38-40 year old Brett Favre.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Arm strength absolutely not a concern. Accuracy pertaining to footwork/throwing off of platform due to sloppy mechanics, absolutely. His first 8 games he was at 57% or lower on completion rate, rating 32nd in the NFL. 

Gotta remember the routes we were calling early in the year and it took awhile for us to realize our line couldn't hold up for our receivers to run those routes.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Major concern, as demonstrated by his constant rolling to his right to escape pressure/perceived pressure instead of navigating within the pocket.

Well he didn't have much of a pocket, also rolling out all of the time helps keep him in shape.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Slow to get to a secondary receiver and struggling with his presnap reads.

Remember how much time there was on average when they got to the line? Can't make presnap reads if you don't get your guys set until there are 2 seconds on the playclock.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

None except for taking too many chances and forcing things into coverage downfield.

Yeah, there was a time you could trust OBJ on those 50/50 balls but he should have realized much earlier that he wasn't winning one on one matchups very often. Otherwise we don't have guys who separate without scheming them open so it's often either throw into coverage, roll out and throw it away or take a sack. None of those options are good.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Turnovers and reading a defense. If he can get better presnap at knowing and understanding where to go with the football and dial himself back and understanding that an incomplete pass and/or checkdown is much better than risking a chance 20+ yards downfield I think that he'll be fine.

Right now, he looks like a 38-40 year old Brett Favre.

He does have to limit his turnovers. A better offensive scheme will let him move guys around and get a better read of the defense. If you can't do that it is way too easy to disguise a defense.

He does need to check down more and throw the ball away more, might be the hardest thing for him because he does have much more of a gunslinger mentality than what I expected when we drafted him.

40 year old Favre went 12-4 with 33 TD and 7 INT. I hope he looks like a 40 year old Favre this year.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Rule changes regarding hitting QB’s has helped the smaller guys a lot too imo.

Gotta wonder if some of these would have been able to hold up to the physical punishment of prior generations.

Fran Tarkenton played in a time where clothesline tackles were OK.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

The main issue I believe Baker has, is that I don't think he's taking it seriously. At least not as seriously as is required.

Well I certainly can't debate you on something neither of us could possibly know. If you don't think he has motivation to be good for his ego or to earn a contract beyond his rookie deal I certainly can't provide any facts to prove you are wrong.

If you are right, he should just retire tbh.

51 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well I certainly can't debate you on something neither of us could possibly know. If you don't think he has motivation to be good for his ego or to earn a contract beyond his rookie deal I certainly can't provide any facts to prove you are wrong.

If you are right, he should just retire tbh.

Well, we can just look at this guy's past to predict his future. Everything the guy has ever got has been handed to him. He's never had to work for any of it. The guy has never fought through adversity or been a longshot in any way. History will likely repeat itself as often does. He's never responded to coaching and teammates have hated him. Why do we expect any of that to change now?

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Baker cares.

It’s why I don’t bother mentioning his weight.

I question his mental capabilities.

I think this year will truly tell you about his mental Capabilities. Hard to mentally prepare for a team, when the so called game plan you spent all week practice, just gets thrown out the window. What ever new thing the browns worked out, got thrown out, and Freddie resorted to calling habits that lead to teams just teeing off on the offense. Plenty of defenders and DCs from different teams said it was easily to read the browns offense and predict what plays they were going to run. 

rookie baker looked mentally better than 2nd year Baker. I want to see what he does under Stef. I don’t think the browns are going to be as easily predictable like last year. Hell, even AVP stated that he wants to change bakers drop back out of gun. He thought back struggled cause he couldn’t get the ball out In time or making the read quick enough but hopefully with the new stance, he gets to the back of his drop faster and will be able to throw it quicker. 

• Like 2