Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Epyon

Rumors and this new league trend.

Recommended Posts

EDIT : UPDATE, RUMOR SOURCE REGARDING RAMSEY CONFIRMED FAKE. Trolls going to troll apparently -.-

First, there's a thing flying around Facebook saying that Pace is aggressively pursuing Jalen Ramsey, citing Adam Schefter as a source (without actually showing said source, which I could not find, so it's of dubious authenticity)... The term "multiple picks" was used. 

 

Second, Jamal Adams is apparently unfollowing the jets and removing them from his bio on social media, which leads me into a discussion about this pretty rapidly developing /alarming trend of players trying to jump ship and requesting trades off perceived weaker squads.... 

Thoughts on either subject? 

Edited by Epyon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly wouldn't mind getting Ramsey, having two top 5 cornerbacks in the NFL could potentially be game-breaking. Right now Prince is a weak point on our defense and having Fuller as a #2 cornerback would give offensive coordinators insomnia. This move could solve a long-term need and could boost this team to have a historic defense. Not only that, but it would also help the pass rush because they will have extra time to get to the QB. I'm all for acquiring elite talent. If we can make this trade without giving up the 2021 first round pick, I would go all in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I doubt that Pace is aggressively pursuing Ramsey.  We have nothing to really offer the Jags as far as a 1st round pick goes so I'd be shocked if Pace pulled this off.  That said I would absolutely trade both of our 2nd round picks in next year's draft for Ramsey.

Second, I don't mind the trend of players requesting trades when things aren't going well.  

When you think about it there is no real loyalty from teams when it comes to players and their contracts, so why should players have to stay loyal to a team when they are bad at building/coaching a team?

NFL teams (owners) are going to continue to make millions and millions for as long as they own a team, whereas players only get so much of a shelf life in the NFL so I say let them have some kind of empowerment to choose their own destiny.

Both the Dolphins and Jags are a tire fire so I don't blame Fitzpatrick and Ramsey for wanting out of their situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would absolutely not want Jalen Ramsey for both 2's. While it's definitely and more than likely that they would never find anyone close to Ramsey with either pick, consider their lack of OL depth and maybe even QB problems. Not sure how Ramsey solves either. Their D is great right now and already championship caliber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I would absolutely not want Jalen Ramsey for both 2's. While it's definitely and more than likely that they would never find anyone close to Ramsey with either pick, consider their lack of OL depth and maybe even QB problems. Not sure how Ramsey solves either. Their D is great right now and already championship caliber.

Ramsey is the best CB in the NFL.  He is also still on his rookie deal for the next two seasons (including this one).

For two 2nds that is a steal and would make it extremely difficult for teams to throw on this defense.

The D is definitely SB caliber but thinking back to last year's playoffs one of the problem areas against the Eagles was the CB spot.  Prince and McManis got abused that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Ramsey is the best CB in the NFL.  He is also still on his rookie deal for the next two seasons (including this one).

For two 2nds that is a steal and would make it extremely difficult for teams to throw on this defense.

The D is definitely SB caliber but thinking back to last year's playoffs one of the problem areas against the Eagles was the CB spot.  Prince and McManis got abused that game.

Foles had a 77.7 QB Rating that game despite no pressure from the pass rush. I didn't think they were bad. Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited but to have no picks in the top 90-100 picks would be brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on this... 

Regarding Ramsey.. 

1. If the rumors where true, it'd mean the entire office is completely "all in" on Mitch. Killing picks and big time money going forward would be very limiting (if not crippling) options wise if Mitch isn't the guy. 

2. Good lord the defense would be absolutely bonkers with Ramsey. 

3. The big issue I have here is actually Ramsey's character seems to be in question... Fighting with your coach on the side line during a game like that is kind of inexcusable, and I question whether he fits the whole culture this team is trying to build. 

4. From Ramsay's perspective, I'd be a bit skeptical he actually wants to come here... The Jags had an elite defense that was hamstrung by a sub par qb play... Not sure how this team is all that different from that situation... 

 

 

Regarding the league trend of players requesting trades.. 

How exactly are the terrible teams going to get any better off every decent player they draft just jumps ship and runs off to join better squads. The Patriots are a prime example of a team that is absolutely loaded right now because they're benefiting from this mentality (at least until Brady starts aging like a real mortal) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Foles had a 77.7 QB Rating that game despite no pressure from the pass rush. I didn't think they were bad. Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited but to have no picks in the top 90-100 picks would be brutal.

Wasn't this the exact case in last year's draft?  Draft picks are good to have and all but you'd be getting an elite player here who's the best at his position at a bargain.

Of course they could only pull this off if they are all in on Mitch because taking on Ramsey would require you to have to avoid paying top tier QB money for the next couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

My thoughts on this... 

Regarding Ramsey.. 

1. If the rumors where true, it'd mean the entire office is completely "all in" on Mitch. Killing picks and big time money going forward would be very limiting (if not crippling) options wise if Mitch isn't the guy. 

2. Good lord the defense would be absolutely bonkers with Ramsey. 

3. The big issue I have here is actually Ramsey's character seems to be in question... Fighting with your coach on the side line during a game like that is kind of inexcusable, and I question whether he fits the whole culture this team is trying to build. 

4. From Ramsay's perspective, I'd be a bit skeptical he actually wants to come here... The Jags had an elite defense that was hamstrung by a sub par qb play... Not sure how this team is all that different from that situation... 

 

 

Regarding the league trend of players requesting trades.. 

How exactly are the terrible teams going to get any better off every decent player they draft just jumps ship and runs off to join better squads. The Patriots are a prime example of a team that is absolutely loaded right now because they're benefiting from this mentality (at least until Brady starts aging like a real mortal) 

Teams don't have to trade these guys just because they requested a trade.  I believe Patrick Peterson did the same thing last year and the team denied his request.

In the Dolphins case they are clearly and purposely tanking to ensure they get the #1 overall pick.  I don't blame them considering they will not be able to compete with the likes of the Patriots until Brady retires, if he ever does.  By the time that happens guys like Fitzpatrick and Tunsil will be much older and worn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) They can’t afford contract he would want and he is kind of guy who would hold out on a 5th year option or any kind of tag. 

2) He is a potential cancer. 

3) Bears don’t need him.  They could use him, but they don’t need him.  

4) We need OTs in near future and potentially a QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The defense is fine. If we're gonna send more draft picks on a high quality proven player then they need to be spent on offense, particularly a true #1 WR or TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Epyon said:

My thoughts on this... 

Regarding Ramsey.. 

1. If the rumors where true, it'd mean the entire office is completely "all in" on Mitch. Killing picks and big time money going forward would be very limiting (if not crippling) options wise if Mitch isn't the guy. 

 

To me that would mean the Bears are keeping Mitch for the time being, and then 2021 either a vet comes cheap or they take a QB with their first pick. Rather than pay a megadeal to him you keep the defense ridiculous and get a rookie salary at QB. You lose both 2020 2nds but have all the 2021 picks, but round 1 you're forcing the pick. 

 

I'm not saying that is what I want, but that's what it made me think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, dll2000 said:

1) They can’t afford contract he would want and he is kind of guy who would hold out on a 5th year option or any kind of tag. 

2) He is a potential cancer. 

3) Bears don’t need him.  They could use him, but they don’t need him.  

4) We need OTs in near future and potentially a QB.  

1470487107336.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×