Top 5 young QB's (drafted in the past 5 years)

tyler735

Seems that there are currently numerous comparisons being posted between young QB's in the NFL on here, so maybe this will eliminate the need for some of those threads going forward. Anyway who are your current top 5 young QB's in the NFL (drafted in the past 5 years)? And since there are so many young talented QB's right now, who are your top 5 QB's for the future going forward?

My current list for top 5 young QB's (this season):

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Deshaun Watson

3. Carson Wentz

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Dak Prescott

My list for top 5 young QB's (beyond this season):

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Deshaun Watson

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Kyler Murray

• Like 1

Top 5 now vs top 5 going forward probably looks pretty similar for me. I think it’s too early to judge any rookie or even this reborn Lamar.

Mahomes, Wentz, Watson, Goff, Dak, Winston, Mariota are the only QBs I’ve seen enough of to feel confident in where they’re at now and where they’re going. 

Mahomes is arguably already elite, at least on that path.

Wentz, Watson and Goff are top 12 QBs with potential to be top tier QBs.

Dak is a solid starter with top 10 potential if he perfects his decision making. I think he has accuracy limitations in terms of placing the ball consistently which I don’t see changing.

Winston is a low tier starter. I don’t think he has much of a future as a starter in this league, too erratic with his decision making and doesn’t have any X factor tools to make up for it.

Mariota is a step below Dak as a starter, and I still  seesome room for growth with him despite being in year 5, very physically gifted, but in all likelihood we’re looking at a solid starter as a ceiling.

Then there’s Baker, Mitch, Kyler, Lamar, Allen, Darnold, Daniel Jones, Rosen and Jacoby Brisset. Too early for me to really judge any of them. None of been good enough for me to be confident they’ll be a stud (Mahomes), or bad enough for me to be confident they’ll be duds (Paxton Lynch). That’s boring though so here I’ll rank who I’d take going forward

1. Baker

2. Darnold

3. Lamar

4. Kyler

5. Allen

6. Brissett

7. Daniel Jones

8. Mitch

9. Rosen (don’t think he’ll ever get fair shot in career)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Seems that there are currently numerous comparisons being posted between young QB's in the NFL on here, so maybe this will eliminate the need for some of those threads going forward. Anyway who are your current top 5 young QB's in the NFL (drafted in the past 5 years)? And since there are so many young talented QB's right now, who are your top 5 QB's for the future going forward?

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Deshaun Watson

3. Carson Wentz

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Dak Prescott

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Deshaun Watson

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Kyler Murray

Aaah I see the young 24 year old QB who beat your team twice in the past 9 months is conveniently left out 

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Deshaun Watson

3. Carson Wentz

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Dak Prescott

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Deshaun Watson

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Kyler Murray

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Kyler Murray

3. Baker Mayfield

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Deshaun Watson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Almost everyone in the off-season: Lamar Jackson is one of worst QB's in the league
Almost everyone after 2 games into the season:  Lamar Jackson is a top-5 QB drafted in the last 5 years

Only on FF.

And one of those games vs the team tanking for the 1st overall pick where he was throwing slants that went for 80 yard TDs. And the other vs the Cardinals, the last year 1st overall pick. 

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Almost everyone in the off-season: Lamar Jackson is one of worst QB's in the league
Almost everyone after 2 games into the season:  Lamar Jackson is a top-5 QB drafted in the last 5 years

Only on FF.

I've been high on the Lamar Jackson bandwagon since his junior year of college on here. 

9 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Aaah I see the young 24 year old QB who beat your team twice in the past 9 months is conveniently left out 

The Rams beat the Saints. I don't recall Goff making any stops on defense lol. It's a team game and a 2 game sample size against one team does nothing for me. 

Since you want to call me out for not including Jared Goff, why has he been so poor in the playoffs?

His career QB Rating in the playoffs so far is 73.6 (71.7 in 2018 playoffs). 

Why did he account for just 1 passing touchdown in 3 playoff games last year?

Why was his touchdown percentage .9% and his interception percentage 1.9% in the playoffs last year?

Why did he have more fumbles than touchdowns in the playoffs last year?

Why was his completion percentage 53.3% in the 2017 playoffs, and 55.7% in the 2018 playoffs?

Why does he have as many interceptions/fumbles as he does touchdowns so far in 2019?

Why does he not have a single 300 yard passing game in his last 7 games?

Why has he not had a game with multiple passing touchdowns in his last 5 games?

Why have his QB Ratings in his last 10 games been: 68.6, 19.1, 75.9, 118.1 (Arizona), 121.6 (San Fran), 74.4, 83, 57.9, 69, 112.6?

Why is he currently 19th in passing yards? Why is he currently 18th in passing touchdowns? Why is he currently 28th in completion percentage? Why is he currently 26th in QB Rating?

Maybe....Just maybe, I don't have Goff in my top 5 because his play has been wildly inconsistent as of late? I think the better question is why do you have him ranked so high right now?  

Edited by tyler735

6 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

And one of those games vs the team tanking for the 1st overall pick where he was throwing slants that went for 80 yard TDs. And the other vs the Cardinals, the last year 1st overall pick. 

Yeah that's not how that game went for Lamar. You can fault the opponent, but he was spreading the ball around making accurate throws on all sorts of routes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

The Rams beat the Saints. I don't recall Goff making any stops on defense lol. It's a team game and a 2 game sample size against one team does nothing for me. 

Since you want to call me out for not including Jared Goff, why has he been so poor in the playoffs?

His career QB Rating in the playoffs so far is 73.6 (71.7 in 2018 playoffs). 

Why did he account for just 1 passing touchdown in 3 playoff games last year?

Why was his touchdown percentage .9% and his interception percentage 1.9% in the playoffs last year?

Why did he have more fumbles than touchdowns in the playoffs last year?

Why was his completion percentage 53.3% in the 2017 playoffs, and 55.7% in the 2018 playoffs?

Why does he have as many interceptions/fumbles as he does touchdowns so far in 2019?

Why does he not have a single 300 yard passing game in his last 7 games?

Why has he not had a game with multiple passing touchdowns in his last 5 games?

Why have his QB Ratings in his last 10 games been: 68.6, 19.1, 75.9, 118.1 (Arizona), 121.6 (San Fran), 74.4, 83, 57.9, 69, 112.6?

Why is he currently 19th in passing yards? Why is he currently 18th in passing touchdowns? Why is he currently 28th in completion percentage? Why is he currently 26th in QB Rating?

Maybe....Just maybe, I don't have Goff in my top 5 because his play has been wildly inconsistent as of late? I think the better question is why do you have him ranked so high right now?  

Not having Goff in the top 5 is fine with me because of how many good young QBs there are. I disagree with it but the opinion is certainly fair. These questions though are weirdly specific and contradict other QBs on your list.

Most of these numbers are from the playoffs. How did Deshaun and Lamar do in the playoffs last year who you seem to think highly of? I have no idea why Goff gets beat up for his postseason when he was better than every young QB last year besides Mahomes and Dak (though that is arguable).

52 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Not having Goff in the top 5 is fine with me because of how many good young QBs there are. I disagree with it but the opinion is certainly fair. These questions though are weirdly specific and contradict other QBs on your list.

They show that Goff has been pretty inconsistent as of late, and that there is some cause for concern in regards to his play. It seems teams have found ways to more effectively defend him now that they have had time to adjust to his style of play with Mcvay. That's not to say Goff can't get back on track, or improve, but as of now I do have some questions about his consistency.

52 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Most of these numbers are from the playoffs. How did Deshaun and Lamar do in the playoffs last year who you seem to think highly of? I have no idea why Goff gets beat up for his postseason when he was better than every young QB last year besides Mahomes and Dak (though that is arguable).

The difference between Deshaun and Lamar in the playoffs compared to Goff, is that Goff now has 4 playoff games under his belt, and has not shown to be a dominant QB in any of them. Deshaun and Lamar have played 1 playoff game each. I'll concede that neither lit it up, but the 4 game sample size in the playoffs is starting to show a trend whereas a 1 game sample size isn't.

As you mentioned, there are a ton of talented young QB's in the NFL right now. These lists could obviously change drastically because of it, and I'd imagine people will have a pretty significant variance in their top 5 lists as of now with these young QB's.

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Only on FF.

It's almost as if the guy who won 7 games last year in a very limited offense came back this year vastly improved in his overall game. Can't think of a single other QB who has done that, ever. To be safe, we should probably wait 3-5 years before deciding if Lamar is really an NFL QB or just another RB.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

They show that Goff has been pretty inconsistent as of late, and that there is some cause for concern in regards to his play. It seems teams have found ways to more effectively defend him now that they have had time to adjust to his style of play with Mcvay. That's not to say Goff can't get back on track, or improve, but as of now I do have some questions about his consistency.

The difference between Deshaun and Lamar in the playoffs compared to Goff, is that Goff now has 4 playoff games under his belt, and has not shown to be a dominant QB in any of them. Deshaun and Lamar have played 1 playoff game each. I'll concede that neither lit it up, but the 4 game sample size in the playoffs is starting to show a trend whereas a 1 game sample size isn't.

As you mentioned, there are a ton of talented young QB's in the NFL right now. These lists could obviously change drastically because of it, and I'd imagine people will have a pretty significant variance in their top 5 lists as of now with these young QB's.

I have questions about Goff's consistency too. I have been encouraged this year that he's shaken off bad first halves and rebounded in the 2nd.  

From a stat perspective, Goff hasn't been dominant in any. Although the Saints game he was dominant in. The Superdome is as tough as an environment to play and he moved the ball without any run game. The interception that hurts his stats/ratings was clearly on Gurley. The Cowboys game he was fine in. No point in having Goff sling the ball around when we are gashing them on the ground. His first playoff game last year was clearly better than what Lamar or Deshaun opened with. The Superbowl was obviously a disaster which I can see why fans that don't watch Goff every week cannot overlook.

10 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

That was the only slant that went for a TD and it was 50 yards not 80. The 80 yarder was a perfectly placed deep ball. You're making it sound like it was a fluky game where the WRs got tons of YAC but it was the opposite lamar was dropping dimes everywhere.

• Like 1