Top 5 young QB's (drafted in the past 5 years)

tyler735

Top 5 Going Forward 

1. Patrick Mahomes

2a. Lamar Jackson

2b. Kyler Murray

4. Deshaun Watson

5. Baker Mayfield

I think 2-5 will be very tightly contested where you could go either way. But I have Lamar and Kyler higher because they possess elite foot speed to pair with their passing. Watson above Mayfield due to good foot speed in addition to better build.

I feel all are leadership material, ballers, and playmakers.

In terms of top QBs right now, I’d simply just point towards the stats.

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Top 5 Going Forward 

1. Patrick Mahomes

2a. Lamar Jackson

2b. Kyler Murray

4. Deshaun Watson

5. Baker Mayfield

I think 2-5 will be very tightly contested where you could go either way. But I have Lamar and Kyler higher because they possess elite foot speed to pair with their passing. Watson above Mayfield due to good foot speed in addition to better build.

I feel all are leadership material, ballers, and playmakers.

In terms of top QBs right now, I’d simply just point towards the stats.

and you even left out Wentz and Dak. The QB position is loaded in the NFL. I wish the same would go for OTs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

and you even left out Wentz and Dak. The QB position is loaded in the NFL. I wish the same would go for OTs.

Yup. Dak was probably next then Wentz, but the question asked for 5. 😆

The reason I left Wentz below these other guys is simply due to the durability issues he’s shown to this point, not to say that these other players can’t get hurt, but Wentz has shown the he does and the best ability for a good QB is availability. Dak I feel is similar to Watson, big and can run, can see the field, make plays... he’s just not as fast nor is his arm talent quite as good.

But like you said, I could easily see Dak or Wentz in there and some other QBs out.

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. Dak was probably next then Wentz, but the question asked for 5. 😆

The reason I left Wentz below these other guys is simply due to the durability issues he’s shown to this point, not to say that these other players can’t get hurt, but Wentz has shown the he does and the best ability for a good QB is availability. Dak I feel is similar to Watson, big and can run, can see the field, make plays... he’s just not as fast nor is his arm talent quite as good.

But like you said, I could easily see Dak or Wentz in there and some other QBs out.

Fair criticisms

Just surprised given their outputs that both would be below Baker, but definitely Kyler at this point. 

Mahomes 

Goff

Wentz

Watson

Darnold

The two that most people conveniently leave out are Goff and Darnold. For me Goff should be in the top 5 because the guy is a winner. Since the start of last season, only the Patriots have more wins than the Rams. Goff is the youngest QB to start in the Superbowl. You want to talk about stats, go look up Goff stats after the joke of a coach Fisher left? Goff stats are great from 2017 till now. Goff is a winner too. 2017: (11-4), 2018: (13-3) and took his team to the Superbowl, and now in 2019: (2-0). Ill take that any day. For anyone saying thats not all Goff, let me remind you that last season Goff had (6) 4th/OT comebacks which was top 3 in the NFL and he had one against the Saints in the playoffs. 

As for Darnold, I think he is going to end up being great. Now thats provided the Jets put the right pieces around him to succeed. Sometimes a player doesnt start out of the gate fast. Brees wasnt great his first 3 seasons with the Chargers. It was so bad that the Chargers ended up trading for Rivers because they didnt think Brees would be any good. The year the Chargers drafted Rivers was the year Brees took off and never looked back. So I believe in Darnold long term. 

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Fair criticisms

Just surprised given their outputs that both would be below Baker, but definitely Kyler at this point. 

Well like I said the “right now” I didn’t include because the stats will basically show us the answer to that question.

However the question also asked for “the future” so that’s just my projection. And I’m a believer that some players just have a “durability gene” and some don’t. I don’t believe Wentz has that and thus his potential will be lowered.

So in terms of Kyler and Baker over them, I think they have the accuracy and arm talent superior to Dak and that’ll eventually weigh out. Baker hasn’t looked good this season but he’s a known threat when playing to “prove the doubters wrong”... which might ultimately be the thing that puts Dak above him. Baker needs that external motivation and so while I’m sure he will bounce back as his fires are flamed, needing external motivation is generally what separates the Closers from the Cleaners. So if he constantly struggles to maintain motivation and thus greatness I could see Dak overtaking him... but Baker is probably the more talented option when all cylinders are clicking.

* (Coolers,) Closers and Cleaners being a term from the book Relentless by Tim Grover (famed trainer of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, etc) when referring to the three levels of greatness.

Edited by diamondbull424

1. Mahomes
2. Goff
3. Watson
4. Brissett
5. Garoppolo

Honorable Mention/To Be Seen: Prescott, Mariota, Jackson, Allen, Darnold, Wentz, Rosen, Mayfield

HM/TBS- In my opinion, lack of long term efficiency, injury, poor scheme, lack of weapons, keeps these guys out of my top 5. To be fair, some of them are interchangeable with Garoppolo, but I'm personally high on him. Prescott is slowly winning me over, especially with this season. Jackson and Mayfield both have 1 year wonder written all over them to me. Rosen hasn't gotten a fair shake. Allen and Darnold are works in progress hindered by bad teams. Wentz just can't stay healthy, and I felt like the offense was better with Foles. Mariota was stuck on a crap team with crap weapons until recently, and I'm not sold on Vrabel and Smith as offensive gurus. That being said, all of these guys are liable to prove me wrong. Additionally, I refuse to entertain rookies above veterans, as I've seen "great" rookie seasons followed up with garbage (see: Robert Griffin III) and needing longer to flourish (see: Andrew Luck). 

1. Patrick Mahomes (Rocket ARM)
2. Carson Wentz (Walk it to em)
3. Deshaun Watson
4. Lamar Jackson
5.Andrew Luck (jk) Dak Prescott over Baker Mayfield 
6. Baker Mayfield 
Kyler Murray will become one of the greats just wait on it. If he was a few inches taller he'd be ROY

http://justahater.net

Edited by Theballashawn

2 hours ago, Theballashawn said:

1. Patrick Mahomes (Rocket ARM)
2. Carson Wentz (Walk it to em)
3. Deshaun Watson
4. Lamar Jackson
5.Andrew Luck (jk) Dak Prescott over Baker Mayfield 
6. Baker Mayfield 
Kyler Murray will become one of the greats just wait on it. If he was a few inches taller he'd be ROY

http://justahater.net

Not sure I follow on this one. Murray is a great candidate for ROY regardless of height. I don't think many people are all that concerned about considering he was drafted 1st overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Not sure I follow on this one. Murray is a great candidate for ROY regardless of height. I don't think many people are all that concerned about considering he was drafted 1st overall.

I think so! When he was coming into the league that's all anyone was talking about was his height. When he struggled in preseason games as well, his height came into question. I was trying to say that if he was taller, there wouldn't be a question at all and that people would be stating that he will be rookie of the year early. I'm not saying that Height Discrimination will be the reason that he doesn't become the ROY, but I think that there is a chance that people or commentators will say that it is a flaw of Kyler Murray if he doesn't.  It was also a topic of choice when it came to the possibility of him not being drafted #1 overall. I just hope that there is a chip on his shoulder for life to prove doubters wrong and continually put up big numbers.

22 hours ago, Theballashawn said:

I think so! When he was coming into the league that's all anyone was talking about was his height. When he struggled in preseason games as well, his height came into question. I was trying to say that if he was taller, there wouldn't be a question at all and that people would be stating that he will be rookie of the year early. I'm not saying that Height Discrimination will be the reason that he doesn't become the ROY, but I think that there is a chance that people or commentators will say that it is a flaw of Kyler Murray if he doesn't.  It was also a topic of choice when it came to the possibility of him not being drafted #1 overall. I just hope that there is a chip on his shoulder for life to prove doubters wrong and continually put up big numbers.

I think you're looking into this too much. People care about the end result. He's either playing well or he isn't. The rest doesn't matter at this point.