Top 5 young QB's (drafted in the past 5 years)

tyler735

On 9/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, ronjon1990 said:

1. Mahomes
2. Goff
3. Watson
4. Brissett
5. Garoppolo

I'm a huge Colts supporter and I don't agree with this. He's been okay so far this season. Solid at best, nothing that warrants him that high of a ranking. And that's with arguably the best supporting cast out of any QB in this discussion.

Darnold, Wentz, Allen, Jackson, Rosen and Mayfield all have played better or shown more potential IMO.

Edited by SmittyBacall

36 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm a huge Colts supporter and I don't agree with this. He's been okay so far this season. Solid at best, nothing that warrants him that high of a ranking. And that's with arguably the best supporting cast out of any QB in this discussion.

Darnold, Wentz, Allen, Jackson, Rosen and Mayfield all have played better or shown more potential IMO.

I was iffy on it. But as I explained, Mayfield and Jackson scream 1 year wonder to me, Allen hasn't produced anything, Wentz can't stay healthy, Darnold just doesn't excite me, and Rosen hasn't had a chance. 

Now, all told, I agree with your assessment that they all have higher ceilings. But, I have my worries about all of them (and Garoppolo) about long term. At the end of the day, I see Brissett as a high end backup. Further, I just can't see more than 10 really good QBs in the league. Brady, Ryan, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Rivers occupy 6 of those spots off the top of my head. Mahomes, Goff, and Watson are proven commodities for me, along with Stafford. Then there are a handful of other guys (Carr, Foles, Prescott, Cousins) that could also wind up occupying spots in that top 10 or otherwise cement top 16 status.

By nature, that leads me to believe that out of Darnold, Wentz, Jackson, Rosen, Mayfield, Rosen, Murray, Jones, Lock*, Minshew, Rudolph, so on, that some of them are bound for either bust status or x-level backup careers. Given that all of them still have ?'s, I put them below a proven, yet unspectacular, Brissett, the caveat being "for now". As the season moves along and guys start to prove me right/wrong, I'll definitely revisit my rankings. 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, ronjon1990 said:

1. Mahomes
2. Goff
3. Watson
4. Brissett
5. Garoppolo

Honorable Mention/To Be Seen: Prescott, Mariota, Jackson, Allen, Darnold, Wentz, Rosen, Mayfield

HM/TBS- In my opinion, lack of long term efficiency, injury, poor scheme, lack of weapons, keeps these guys out of my top 5. To be fair, some of them are interchangeable with Garoppolo, but I'm personally high on him. Prescott is slowly winning me over, especially with this season. Jackson and Mayfield both have 1 year wonder written all over them to me. Rosen hasn't gotten a fair shake. Allen and Darnold are works in progress hindered by bad teams. Wentz just can't stay healthy, and I felt like the offense was better with Foles. Mariota was stuck on a crap team with crap weapons until recently, and I'm not sold on Vrabel and Smith as offensive gurus. That being said, all of these guys are liable to prove me wrong. Additionally, I refuse to entertain rookies above veterans, as I've seen "great" rookie seasons followed up with garbage (see: Robert Griffin III) and needing longer to flourish (see: Andrew Luck). 

The Bills are a bad team? News to me lol. Before the season what people said would hold us back would be QB play. If you want to say the Bills aren’t good yet because Allen isn’t fully developed yet fine, but you can’t say the Bills have a bad team.

20 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

The Bills are a bad team? News to me lol. Before the season what people said would hold us back would be QB play. If you want to say the Bills aren’t good yet because Allen isn’t fully developed yet fine, but you can’t say the Bills have a bad team.

Sure, that too. Not trying to nitpick. I'm not sold on Allen or the Bills with or without him. 

46 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Further, I just can't see more than 10 really good QBs in the league. Brady, Ryan, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Rivers occupy 6 of those spots off the top of my head. Mahomes, Goff, and Watson are proven commodities for me, along with Stafford. Then there are a handful of other guys (Carr, Foles, Prescott, Cousins) that could also wind up occupying spots in that top 10 or otherwise cement top 16 status.

By nature, that leads me to believe that out of Darnold, Wentz, Jackson, Rosen, Mayfield, Rosen, Murray, Jones, Lock*, Minshew, Rudolph, so on, that some of them are bound for either bust status or x-level backup careers. Given that all of them still have ?'s, I put them below a proven, yet unspectacular, Brissett, the caveat being "for now". As the season moves along and guys start to prove me right/wrong, I'll definitely revisit my rankings. 

I get what you're saying, but I still disagree. I think Darnold, Wentz, Jackson, Mayfield, Murray will all be long term starters for their respective teams. And the jury is still out on the rest who also have that potential. I understand the logic of assuming not everyone can succeed and their can only be a certain number of high-end starters, but I don't think it's fair to discredit their ability as QBs to fit a hypothetical theory. By the time many of these QBs hit their prime, usually when they sign their second contract, guys like Brees, Rivers, and Brady will likely be out of the league. So your theory doesn't really add up. Even if they are solid starters or low-end starters, they're still starters. I don't think that can be said for Brissett long-term.