Jump to content
BroncoBruin

2020 College Prospects

Recommended Posts

It's early yes, but being 0-2 headed to Lambeau has this team well on its way to a top 10 pick, with a definite possibility of hovering around top 5 range if things really go sideways. I think we can agree that a few of the veterans and any leftover coaches from VJ's team are the most likely casualties next year. So there will be a lot to fix in these next few drafts, to say the least. But there's optimism to be had with the 180 turn this front office has taken in getting great value with the guys they've taken, something we screamed about year after year until 2018. 

This class looks like it's going to be rewarding for teams picking near the top and if the plan is to give Lock a shot, that will push the best players in the draft into the Broncos' laps. Chase Young and Andrew Thomas look like they fit the prototypes of what every team looks for in an edge rusher and left tackle respectively. If there's a chance to add Young, conversations about trading Von should accelerate. In the more likely scenario that they want to play out Von's deal and focus on other and more urgent needs, Andrew Thomas would be the guy who makes the most sense to me, would be great to forget about the left tackle position for the first time since Clady. The other guy who would intrigue me in this range is Jerry Jeudy. Ideally, I'd like him closer to 10 but he probably doesn't get there. 

Drafting closer to 10, Dylan Moses would have been my guy until the unfortunate ACL tear, but Isaiah Simmons from Clemson is a guy I'd look at here who could be a versatile difference maker on defense with the speed and range he plays with. Derrick Brown could be the complete defensive lineman this team hasn't had since Malik.

If the team overachieves or ends up trading down, there are a lot of good looking CBs and WRs who will be available in this 10-20 range, some offensive tackle options, and Tyler Biadasz who's this year's plug-and-play Wisconsin stud at center or guard. 

 

 

Curious to hear who you guys have been watching, who's caught your eye and such.  

Edited by BroncoBruin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t watch much but I’d really like this team to address OL often and early. If, and that’s a big IF, Lock is our guy, maybe we can keep him upright and let him develop?? I’d love that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order:

First Name

Last Name

Position

School

Ht

Wt

Trevon

Diggs

CB

Alabama

6'2"

207

CJ

Henderson

CB

Florida

6'1"

202

Kristian

Fulton

CB

LSU

6'0"

200

Jeffrey

Okudah

CB

Ohio State

6'1"

200

Bryce

Hall

CB

Virginia

6'1"

200

Dylan

Moses

ILB

Alabama

6'3"

233

Troy

Dye

ILB

Oregon

6'4"

226

Prince

Tega Wanogho

OT

Auburn

6'7"

305

Andrew

Thomas

OT

Georgia

6'5"

320

Tristan

Wirfs

OT

Iowa

6'5"

322

Walker

Little

OT

Stanford

6'7"

309

Lucas

Niang

OT

TCU

6'7"

328

Trey

Adams

OT

Washington

6'8"

314

Tua

Tagovailoa

QB

Alabama

6'1"

218

Justin

Herbert

QB

Oregon

6'6"

237

Grant

Delpit

S

LSU

6'3"

203

 

Most of these are first round grades. Assuming we're pick 5, and no OT grades that high, our 1st pick should be Grant Delpit or Jeffrey Okudah IMO. If we drop back again, OT MUST be the pick, with Lucas Niang and Andrew Thomas being the 2 highest grades right now.

2 injury "concerns" are Dylan Moses and Walker Little, but they should come back healthy from their current injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pipe dream first two picks is Andrew Thomas and Dylan Moses sliding into the 2nd after the ACL. Not sure how likely the second is. It doesn't seem like a deep LB group, but after Moses and Simmons I think Troy Dye and Kenneth Murray are promising. I'm out on the less athletic guys, we're already going have to compensate for Jewell going forward. Not interested in the Big Ten tackling machine guys we see every year. 

Also, lot of good first round caliber corners this year. One or two have a chance to be there with our second pick.

Edited by BroncoBruin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have a top 5 pick, the beauty is the QB demand will likely be very high, and 3-4 guys who likely get top 20 consideration (and 1-2 who def get top 5-6 consideration).   Moving back is much more likely in that situation, where demand is high.

We can hit BPA and pretty much hit a need area - OT, ILB, 2nd WR (Sanders is great, I tip my cap, but you have to think 2021+ with a 2020 pick).   Really, we have no positions we can't improve on.   I am not convinced Lock is our QBOTF given his weaknesses - but I'd be the first to acknowledge given his injury, we're going to give him 2020 & 2021 before we consider an early QB pick.   Given that, we are best served hitting BPA, but being strategic about staying/moving back.  Our roster needs every hit possible, and if the match isn't there, better to have a a top 15 pick and a Day 2 pick and hit T/LB, than stay at 5-6 and reach for positional need.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying he's a top tier LB, or even graded highly, but I want Troy Dye for a number of reasons. 1. He's a Duck (unapologetic homer pick). 2. HE CAN COVER TE'S (all caps not an accident).

I've stated previously we need to give Drew Lock the Jimmy Clausen treatment. No, there's no Cam Newton for us to have, but there are better alternatives to be drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If we have a top 5 pick, the beauty is the QB demand will likely be very high, and 3-4 guys who likely get top 20 consideration (and 1-2 who def get top 5-6 consideration).   Moving back is much more likely in that situation, where demand is high.

We can hit BPA and pretty much hit a need area - OT, ILB, 2nd WR (Sanders is great, I tip my cap, but you have to think 2021+ with a 2020 pick).   Really, we have no positions we can't improve on.   I am not convinced Lock is our QBOTF given his weaknesses - but I'd be the first to acknowledge given his injury, we're going to give him 2020 & 2021 before we consider an early QB pick.   Given that, we are best served hitting BPA, but being strategic about staying/moving back.  Our roster needs every hit possible, and if the match isn't there, better to have a a top 15 pick and a Day 2 pick and hit T/LB, than stay at 5-6 and reach for positional need.

I think we give Lock 2020 (and possibly December this year) but I doubt 2021 is a given by any means. I know burger-all about the QB prospects coming out but a good friend of mine tells me that while Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert are good 1st round picks next year, Trevor Lawrence in 2021 is the best since Luck and may even grade out better than Luck (ie best since Peyton Manning)

 

The NFL is a passing league so most top 10 picks consist of guys who's main focus is the passing game:

 

- Guys who throw the passes (QB's)

- Guys who catch the passer (WR's)

- Guys who protect the passer (OT's)

- Guys who rush the passer (DE/OLB's)

- Guys who cover the pass catchers (CB's)

 

Assuming we're leaving QB until at least 2021, I'd be looking to use our likely top-10 if not top-5 pick on BPA out of WR, OT, 3-4 OLB and CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, paul-mac said:

I think we give Lock 2020 (and possibly December this year) but I doubt 2021 is a given by any means. I know burger-all about the QB prospects coming out but a good friend of mine tells me that while Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert are good 1st round picks next year, Trevor Lawrence in 2021 is the best since Luck and may even grade out better than Luck (ie best since Peyton Manning)

 

The NFL is a passing league so most top 10 picks consist of guys who's main focus is the passing game:

 

- Guys who throw the passes (QB's)

- Guys who catch the passer (WR's)

- Guys who protect the passer (OT's)

- Guys who rush the passer (DE/OLB's)

- Guys who cover the pass catchers (CB's)

 

Assuming we're leaving QB until at least 2021, I'd be looking to use our likely top-10 if not top-5 pick on BPA out of WR, OT, 3-4 OLB and CB.

Yeah, brain cramp - 2019-20 was my idea, not 2021.  No argument.  By 2021, we are all in on QB if Lock isn't the guy.  My bad, all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious what others think of Isaiah Simmons. Even more curious what Fangio thinks of him. Never seen a player quite like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This class seems deep along the trenches, which is what I’ll be paying attention to.  Bolles is going to have to show tremendous growth to stick around, IMO.  Build up the OL/DL, look for an athletic ILB, give Lock a shot to prove whether he can be the answer, if he isn’t get aggressive in 2021 for a franchise QB.

On a side note, if Fromm is there in the 2nd this year I wouldn’t be opposed to that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ To go with that Thomas and Wirfs are really intriguing to me, though I don’t know that Wirfs can play LT.  He seems Scherff-ish to me.  Great athlete but more of a RT/OG, where he could be elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

This class seems deep along the trenches, which is what I’ll be paying attention to.  Bolles is going to have to show tremendous growth to stick around, IMO.  Build up the OL/DL, look for an athletic ILB, give Lock a shot to prove whether he can be the answer, if he isn’t get aggressive in 2021 for a franchise QB.

On a side note, if Fromm is there in the 2nd this year I wouldn’t be opposed to that either.

I’d be shocked if Fromm fell out of Rd1.   The rapid decline of vet QB’s is going to heighten the need.   Teams like CAR are now in the mix.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be that another guy comes in and knocks Fromm down the board. I'm not sure how Fromm does at the next level, but I know teams who struggle with QB evaluations will have a tough time selling themselves on him because the physical stuff doesn't jump out. 

Who that 3rd QB would be I don't know. I've heard buzz about Jordan Love but never seen him play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It could be that another guy comes in and knocks Fromm down the board. I'm not sure how Fromm does at the next level, but I know teams who struggle with QB evaluations will have a tough time selling themselves on him because the physical stuff doesn't jump out. 

Who that 3rd QB would be I don't know. I've heard buzz about Jordan Love but never seen him play. 

I fully get that with Fromm.  He’s a risk because of his lack of any good physical trait.  However, he seems like a guy that just gets it.  He’s tough, accurate, makes throws that few college QBs do in terms of anticipation and understanding where the ball needs to be placed.  He has exceptional touch, as well as being ultra competitive.

I doubt Elway would ever draft him.  He’s the opposite of what Elway does, but man I think there is something to be said about “getting it” is the only way I can think of phrasing it.  Aside from athleticism, I don’t think there is much separating Tua from Fromm and currently Tua seems to be a lock for the top 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this team critically needs the following next year:

 

A. To know if Drew Lock is worth developing so they can build their offseason plans around him. 

(Everything else is contingent on whatever they determine from A)

B. To finally replace Ryan Clady at LT. Let Elijah Wilkinson try out this season to see if he can do it, but this should be offseason priority #1. Since you can't get these guys in free agency, Andrew Thomas instantly becomes the #1 target for this team IMO. 

C. Just the slightest bit of talent at the linebacker position. Josey Jewell is going to work his butt off to be an average NFL player but Vic needs more. Go get a guy who can be the tone setter and can run, it's almost comical how much they've gone out of their way to not address this position. 

D. Cornerbacks and as many as they can get. It could get ugly when Chris leaves and I'm not sure what's really left with how perpetually banged up Callahan is. I think it's safe to say Yiadom, Bausby and Dawson won't cut it. 

E. A complete defensive tackle who can eat up space and also explode into the backfield. It's been all one dimensional role players drafted since Malik left, right now the starters along the DL are just kinda there. Nobody is a consistent presence on all three downs. 

F. A fast, explosive mismatch at WR. That dynamic will be gone when Sanders leaves and this draft is loaded with them. The Shanahan offense needs speed at wide receiver.

G. Probably another interior guy but I'm hopeful Wilkinson can fill in (he's quietly played three good halves in a row at RT btw) here. Still need to continue to accumulate depth across the line. Just let Munchak figure this out and get out of his way. 

 

 

Also need to add talent at safety. I think Simmons is likely to get re-signed and Kareem will be back but there's really nothing behind them if Parks leaves for a larger role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×