2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, for me its mostly about value. If in this hypothetical we moved down and got that Dolphins deal, I would hope for Pittman at 70 rather than 39. Using 70 on Pittman and a later R3 on a gadget guy (Antonio Giboson or Bowden?) would be a good  IMO. Get the reliable guy and the wildcard. 

I get some of that.

But I am of the thought process for the long term development of Drew Lock and the future offense go get Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs and solve the problem.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

But at some point, you have to just go GET the guy you want. Value is always important, don't get me wrong, but teams get burned when they hope for value instead of going to get the players that will make sense for the team. If there's a slam dunk prospect, even if the position is loaded, but you love that prospect in R1, just take him. That's my stance.

The funny thing is that people forget about value or where guys were taken about 1 year after the draft. They only care about if the guys you drafted are impactful on the field or not regardless of where they were taken

9 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

But at some point, you have to just go GET the guy you want. Value is always important, don't get me wrong, but teams get burned when they hope for value instead of going to get the players that will make sense for the team. If there's a slam dunk prospect, even if the position is loaded, but you love that prospect in R1, just take him. That's my stance.

Agreed.  The future of this team is Drew Lock and he 100% needs another target to keep it from becoming easy to stop this offense.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  The future of this team is Drew Lock and he 100% needs another target to keep it from becoming easy to stop this offense.  

Exactly. We've all complained forever about the dink and dunk offense. It'll stay that way unless we get dynamic playmakers to turn things around. That can be Ruggs + someone, Jeudy + someone, but the reality is, we're going to live and die by how well we surround Lock.

• Like 1

Love Pittman. If we don’t get one of the top three and don’t trade into the back half of the first for JJ then Pittman is my preference for the second round. He’s actually a receiver and not just an athlete. He’s a guy who is a benefit on every play, no matter what part of the field or if he gets the ball he’s making an impact.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Love Pittman. If we don’t get one of the top three and don’t trade into the back half of the first for JJ then Pittman is my preference for the second round. He’s actually a receiver and not just an athlete. He’s a guy who is a benefit on every play, no matter what part of the field or if he gets the ball he’s making an impact.

Agreed.  He’s a really good blocker as well.  Separates better than a guy like Higgins and can go up and get the ball just as well.  Runs hard after the catch too.  His profile is very similar to Sutton’s.  Pittman also reportedly a high character guy.  Gil Brandt mentioned what he’s heard is every team wants a guy like Pittman on their team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Higgins really scares me. His box outs, high pointing, ball fighting and red zone effectiveness are all excellent. But man, his testing was just scary. Like, arguably no precedent for a WR testing so poorly ending up a quality player. His 1.66 10 yard split puts him in the bottom 2 percentile for a WR. Thats horrendous. And his 31" vert is closer to an OT than a premier WR. 

Still, as a deep developing 'go up and get it' type WR he could be a nice fit, but only if we run lots of PA that gives him time to get down the field to win the high point / box out match ups. 

In this class I honestly wouldnt be surprised if he fell to R4, but would be comfortable taking him around 83 rather than 39. 

Raegor at 39, that I can get on board with. Honestly, Raegor 39 then Higgins 83 would be about the best ying / yang you could ask for w/ a WR double dip. 

The only time bad testing really worries me is when it doesn’t match what I see during games. When you watch Higgins, you know he’s not gonna run a 4.4 40, he’s not beating guys with his athleticism. He’s a prototypical “possession” WR, elite ball skills with a knowledge of how to use his size. 

That said, I easily have 10 WR’s in my top 50, with the guys 4-10 all really close to each other. I was hesitant on Mims, but I’ve been watching his Senior Bowl workouts and his 1v1 was a lot better than I was expecting. I also really like Shenault, as long as his medicals are clean (which they probably aren’t.) Even a guy like Aiyuk, who I think you’ll have to manufacture touches for early, has enough explosiveness to make the upside tantalizing. Get one of those 10 guys and I think you’ve gotta be satisfied.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The only time bad testing really worries me is when it doesn’t match what I see during games. When you watch Higgins, you know he’s not gonna run a 4.4 40, he’s not beating guys with his athleticism. He’s a prototypical “possession” WR, elite ball skills with a knowledge of how to use his size. 

That said, I easily have 10 WR’s in my top 50, with the guys 4-10 all really close to each other. I was hesitant on Mims, but I’ve been watching his Senior Bowl workouts and his 1v1 was a lot better than I was expecting. I also really like Shenault, as long as his medicals are clean (which they probably aren’t.) Even a guy like Aiyuk, who I think you’ll have to manufacture touches for early, has enough explosiveness to make the upside tantalizing. Get one of those 10 guys and I think you’ve gotta be satisfied.

His time still scares me.  He ran 4.58 at his pro day and pro days are always faster than the electronic time at the combine.  This might be a guy (Probably is) running low to mid 4.6’s and that rarely translates well.  It isn’t just the 40 either.  He has a 31 inch vertical which is awful for a WR.  He clearly is a below average to awful athlete by NFL WR standards.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

According to an SI writer, it looks like the Broncos are interested in trading up for one of the 4 OT's at #9. While I could see  them trading up for Thomas, seems like a smoke screen as I think Jeudy would be a better target.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/4/13/21218997/broncos-first-round-trade-up

Saw this.  I like the OTs, but if they’re moving up I would think it’s for Thomas and Becton who can step in day 1 at LT because if their experience there.  Value wise it’s not a bad deal, but not nearly as glaring a need as WR or even CB if they traded up within range of Okudah.

53 minutes ago, germ-x said:

His time still scares me.  He ran 4.58 at his pro day and pro days are always faster than the electronic time at the combine.  This might be a guy (Probably is) running low to mid 4.6’s and that rarely translates well.  It isn’t just the 40 either.  He has a 31 inch vertical which is awful for a WR.  He clearly is a below average to awful athlete by NFL WR standards.

The more I watch Tee Higgins, the more of Chad Johnson I see in him. Elite ability to play above the rim, extremely slippery with the ball in his hands, despite below average athleticism. 

27 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The more I watch Tee Higgins, the more of Chad Johnson I see in him. Elite ability to play above the rim, extremely slippery with the ball in his hands, despite below average athleticism. 

Very well could be.  I just find him incredibly risky.  

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

Saw this.  I like the OTs, but if they’re moving up I would think it’s for Thomas and Becton who can step in day 1 at LT because if their experience there.  Value wise it’s not a bad deal, but not nearly as glaring a need as WR or even CB if they traded up within range of Okudah.

If you think Becton can step in day 1 more effectively over Wirfs or Wills you’ll be sadly disappointed. Wills never played LT but his technique is more transferable to that side at this moment than the technique work Becton needs for pass sets. And Wirfs has some experience at LT. 

We are facing a pandemic and don’t know when this will end. You don’t take the guy who needs the most technique work and except him to start week 1 when we don’t know how this is going to affect training camps and OTAs and minicamps and the whole nine. Yes Becton has incredible size and athleticism for that size but give me the guys who have good size, great athleticism in their own right, and better technique.