2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

I certainly see the need but I've never been a huge fan of taking a WR in round one, particularly in the top half of round one. And a name that hasn't been mentioned, and with Matt Russell figuring to remain in his role in the FO, would be Leviska Shenault. Now I only watch CU once a year but from what I have read, and not just from CU homers in local media, is that he is pretty highly-regarded as a prospect. Also remember the talk about Jeudy and Ruggs I think is wasted space, Elway doesn't draft Alabama players. 

We have seven picks in the first four rounds, lets assume we do some moving around and end up taking six players, I think if we look only at position and not at prospect, I'd like to see us come away from those six picks with 1 OT, 1 interior OL, 1 WR, 1 CB, 1 DL and 1 LB. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I certainly see the need but I've never been a huge fan of taking a WR in round one, particularly in the top half of round one. And a name that hasn't been mentioned, and with Matt Russell figuring to remain in his role in the FO, would be Leviska Shenault. Now I only watch CU once a year but from what I have read, and not just from CU homers in local media, is that he is pretty highly-regarded as a prospect. Also remember the talk about Jeudy and Ruggs I think is wasted space, Elway doesn't draft Alabama players. 

We have seven picks in the first four rounds, lets assume we do some moving around and end up taking six players, I think if we look only at position and not at prospect, I'd like to see us come away from those six picks with 1 OT, 1 interior OL, 1 WR, 1 CB, 1 DL and 1 LB. 

My thing with Viska is there are so many awesome WR talents in this draft, why be the team to take a shot on the one who is constantly injured? Let someone else take that risk, we need to keep hitting on our top 50 picks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I like the idea of double dipping at WR, but not taking one R1. The class is very deep. We need two WR, one dynamic guy and one 'sure thing' type. My favorite ying / yang in that regard is Devin Duvernay R3 (Elite YAC, great straight line deep threat, high potential) + Tyler Johnson R2 (Elite route runner, great hands, NFL ready)

Ideally, we trade down from 10-12 (Unless Isaiah Simmons is available, he has ticked into blue chip status to me) and snag a late R1 + R2. Then go:

R1 - Tyler Biadasz IOL - Wisconsin

R2 - CJ Henderson CB - Florida

R2 - Tyler Johnson WR - Minnesota

R3 - Trey Adams OT - Washington

R3 - Devin Duvernay WR - Texas

R3 - Troy Dye ILB - Oregon

Sign Danny Trevathan to be the teams defensive QB, resign Harris + Simmons + Wolfe if the price is right, target a stopgap WR if the kids cant get right on the field. 

Agree with the double dipping at WR and love Duvernay.  Another interesting guy to me is Gandy-Golden.  Physically almost identical to Sutton, but man does he have exceptional hands and the ability to come down with tough/contested catches.  A lot will come down to how he runs, doesn’t create a ton of separation against lesser competition so it’ll be interesting to see how he runs.

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

Lamb or Ruggs would be awesome here

Assuming we draft at 10;

most likely 3 QBs go

The 2 OSU defenders 

Andrew Thomas 

That leaves the 3 WRs and Wirfs as of right now for our likely pick.  I’m completely fine with that, doesn’t even include Delpit or any other risers 

Sorry but as much as I like Ruggs, playing in a stacked 'Bama rotation, and not the solo dog like Lamb, who gets all the D's attention, I could never endorse that early.   I love Jeudy & Lamb, I like Ruggs.    Ruggs might end up being better - but his success is as the secondary piece, where Jeudy gets all the attention.   Jeudy broke out a year earlier, and to a higher degree.   That's a huge diff.  We won't be sniffing Jeudy regardless, but there's a mile of difference in a Lamb-type skill set and production as the alpha, vs. Ruggs.     Like I said before, I can be convinced Lamb is a mid-high 80's guy, so that's a clear surge up above the rest, but being the guy teams don't account for, that's a much different context than succeeding despite getting all the attention.

FWIW, unless we lose out, we're more likely picking in the 14-16 range.   There's no way Lamb is lasting that long.  After the top 6 (Okudah/Jeudy following Chase Young & Andrew Thomas, and 2 QB's will go for sure, given the need), Lamb is going to be seen as the next WR.  He *might* be there at 10--11, but not into the mid-teen range.

Again, nothing against a Ruggs, but if we can get a Wirfs/Jackson type T talent, I have them graded next to that WR tier (although Jackson has a lot more variance, need to see him against a tough DE / EDGE matchup, not this PAC-12 level of competition), but I also have 4-5 WR's I'm happy with Rd 2 where we pick that are likely to fall, and 4-5 more in Rd3.    I don't see nearly as great T talent in Rd 2-3 (although @BroncosFan2010's s scenario of Trey Adams falling to early Rd3 would be AWESOME - his injury history is scary, but before then, he was a consensus top 10 pick). 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

Lamb or Ruggs would be awesome here

Assuming we draft at 10;

most likely 3 QBs go

The 2 OSU defenders 

Andrew Thomas 

That leaves the 3 WRs and Wirfs as of right now for our likely pick.  I’m completely fine with that, doesn’t even include Delpit or any other risers 

Andrew Thomas is going top 5 IMO, barring injury or major character issue (i.e. arrest).   There's no other issue that will prevent him from falling further, he's that good.  Sad but true.  Frankly, IMO he's the 2nd best overall player in the draft.   I don't have a problem with us winning with finding Lock, but I wouldn't have turned down a top 5 pick to get a shot at him.   10-year Pro-Bowl LT type projection.   

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Andrew Thomas is going top 5 IMO, barring injury or major character issue (i.e. arrest).   There's no other issue that will prevent him from falling further, he's that good.  Sad but true.  Frankly, IMO he's the 2nd best overall player in the draft.   I don't have a problem with us winning with finding Lock, but I wouldn't have turned down a top 5 pick to get a shot at him.   10-year Pro-Bowl LT type projection.   

Oh I wasn’t saying in that order I’m just saying with the QBs Thomas and the OSU guys the top 6 is kinda set with as of right now with a lot of players in that next tier;

(In no order)

The 3 WRs

Delpit

Simmons

Wirfs

Epensena (sp)

Brown

Kinlaw

And those are just the ones I know of not to mention any combine risers.  At 15ish should be a damn good player there for Denver to pick   And I’m sure the guys here know of more high end players that would be available

Duvernay is super intriguing. Big-framed slot guy with elite speed. That's not a skillset you often see. 

Really reminds me of Antwan Goodley but more developed (Goodley had like 3 routes to run at Baylor), better hands and work ethic. 

I don't see nearly as great T talent in Rd 2-3 (although @BroncosFan2010's s scenario of Trey Adams falling to early Rd3 would be AWESOME - his injury history is scary, but before then, he was a consensus top 10 pick)

I think there are some really good developmental OT's avaliable in 2-3. I am not convinced the team is ready to walk away from Bolles, who has been better as of late. I think we should make the minor adjustment of swapping James and Bolles from RT - LT. And move Connor back to OG. I like the power potential on the right side w/:

LT - JaJuwan James

LG - Dalton Risner

OC - Tyler Biadasz

RG - Connor McGovern

RT - Garret Bolles

Then take a developmental guy in R3 (Josh Jones - Houston / Trey Adams - Washington (Injury fall) / Alaric Jackson - Iowa / Mekhi Becton - Louisville (They churn out some giant, functionally athletic enough men, this dude is a monster)

• Like 1

Just now, broncofan48 said:

Oh I wasn’t saying in that order I’m just saying with the QBs Thomas and the OSU guys the top 6 is kinda set with as of right now with a lot of players in that next tier;

(In no order)

The 3 WRs

Delpit

Simmons

Wirfs

Epensena (sp)

Brown

Kinlaw

And those are just the ones I know of not to mention any combine risers.  At 15ish should be a damn good player there for Denver to pick   And I’m sure the guys here know of more high end players that would be available

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, you can add USC's T Jackson to the list around there.   The issue with him is the competition, outside of playing Utah, and Oregon, is so iffy.  But his tape this year, and his skill set, has been very impressive.   It's just so hard to project Pac-12 success to the NFL, it's a totally different game they're playing.   

I will say the BPA list is pretty much OL/WR that flood the mid-teen's area.   WR is just so loaded, though, that someone awesome is going to fall Rd2, and likely another tier of usually-Rd2 talent will be there Rd3.  That isn't happening anywhere else.  It's why you have to have a real tier-jumper at rd1 to justify the WR pick IMO.

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Really reminds me of Antwan Goodley but more developed (Goodley had like 3 routes to run at Baylor), better hands and work ethic. 

I think there are some really good developmental OT's avaliable in 2-3. I am not convinced the team is ready to walk away from Bolles, who has been better as of late. I think we should make the minor adjustment of swapping James and Bolles from RT - LT. And move Connor back to OG. I like the power potential on the right side w/:

LT - JaJuwan James

LG - Dalton Risner

OC - Tyler Biadasz

RG - Connor McGovern

RT - Garret Bolles

Then take a developmental guy in R3 (Josh Jones - Houston / Trey Adams - Washington (Injury fall) / Alaric Jackson - Iowa / Mekhi Becton - Louisville (They churn out some giant, functionally athletic enough men, this dude is a monster)

Trey Adams is ready to play - IF the back is OK.  Forget the ACL, that's usually not an issue.  Backs are scary.  It's too bad, because he looked like a foundation LT pre-injury.   And I say that with all the PAC-12 issues (just that he looked great as a freshman and sophomore - gotta see how much the injuries have affected his foot speed and bend, though).

Add DL to that mid-R1 cluster. Even after Brown undoubtedly goes top 10, you have Javon Kinlaw and Marvin Wilson who I really like. Another thing to keep in mind: there's so little depth at DL in this draft. You can find WRs, CBs and OL on Day 2. Should be plenty. You're probably reaching for a DL if you can pick one in that range. 

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

LT - JaJuwan James

LG - Dalton Risner

OC - Tyler Biadasz

RG - Connor McGovern

RT - Garret Bolles

I think thats pretty realistic. I'm not sure about the OT swap, Hard to gauge though. The entire 1st half OL performance last week was the best we've seen in many years. Schlottman, at the very least has shown he'd be a quality IOL backup. We need to do better than Wilkinson though as a backup OT. 

26 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Trey Adams is a total red flag guy for me. Wouldn't touch him until the 5th or later, and really just rather avoid the player altogether. 

The Combine physical and Senior Bowl is going to be huge for him.   If he doesn't have the bend and explosion back, then yeah, I get that thinking.   It's too bad, 2 years ago he was a can't miss top 10 LT pick.   But back injuries are just so scary.