2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Usually I'm a big fan of OL/DL guys in the first but maybe not so much this year. Both look fairly deep at the top end and with the coaching talent (Kolar,Munchak) at those spots I think we can fill our needs in the 2nd/3rd.

I'm curious about a couple of things though and would appreciate some input.

At two position groups CB and WR which would you feel is the biggest need? Also, which group in the draft is deepest, WR or CB?

As far as WR's I've seen Ruggs, Lamb and Juedy mocked to us and at CB, Okudah, Fulton and Diggs. Chances are good at least two or three should be available. How 'bout some thoughts?

On your list, I think Jeudy and Lamb are locks to be picked before us, same with Okudah at CB. Henry Ruggs has a chance to make it to 15 but when he absolutely blows up the combine (4.2s + 40+ inch vertical) it may be wishful thinking. Fulton and Diggs look like they’ll be picked in the teens so we’d be in their range at 15. I think both positions will have good options on Day 2, but WR is the most loaded position in the draft so there will be some awesome prospects available on Day 2, without a doubt. 

That said, I still think Henry Ruggs at 15 is the realistic dream scenario. He’d walk into the NFL as its fastest player, you could easily manufacture productive touches while he develops as an all-around receiver, the spacing he creates just being on the field helps everyone. And he takes pride in the physical part of the game, at 5’11” 190 he’s not built for it but he enjoys getting after it in the run game, playing coverage on special teams, taking on defenders full steam (and that acceleration can blow through tackle attempts). Basically you get a legendary athlete with a gritty football mindset. Saw a video recently of Ruggs playing HS basketball, he flies into the passing lane from the other side of the court for a steal, gets to the paint, and lays down a ferocious windmill dunk, all in about four seconds. Believe he was 5’9” at the time. That world class speed, reliable hands + ability to go up and get the ball is really fun to think about. 

As far as need goes, I think this offense really needs a field stretcher at WR to grow to its full potential. Suddenly you open up more one-on-one matchups for Fant and Sutton, and if you force 2-high you get those favorable box matchups, establish the run, then attack the middle off that with play-action. Now you’ve got an offense that forces the defense to make tough choices, something we haven’t seen in 5-6 years. 

At CB I think it depends on free agency. If no CB is signed I think it might be the team’s biggest need. With CHJ or another free agent signed, a lot less dire and you may not need a rookie to play immediately. 

47 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

On your list, I think Jeudy and Lamb are locks to be picked before us, same with Okudah at CB. Henry Ruggs has a chance to make it to 15 but when he absolutely blows up the combine (4.2s + 40+ inch vertical) it may be wishful thinking. Fulton and Diggs look like they’ll be picked in the teens so we’d be in their range at 15. I think both positions will have good options on Day 2, but WR is the most loaded position in the draft so there will be some awesome prospects available on Day 2, without a doubt. 

That said, I still think Henry Ruggs at 15 is the realistic dream scenario. He’d walk into the NFL as its fastest player, you could easily manufacture productive touches while he develops as an all-around receiver, the spacing he creates just being on the field helps everyone. And he takes pride in the physical part of the game, at 5’11” 190 he’s not built for it but he enjoys getting after it in the run game, playing coverage on special teams, taking on defenders full steam (and that acceleration can blow through tackle attempts). Basically you get a legendary athlete with a gritty football mindset. Saw a video recently of Ruggs playing HS basketball, he flies into the passing lane from the other side of the court for a steal, gets to the paint, and lays down a ferocious windmill dunk, all in about four seconds. Believe he was 5’9” at the time. That world class speed, reliable hands + ability to go up and get the ball is really fun to think about. 

As far as need goes, I think this offense really needs a field stretcher at WR to grow to its full potential. Suddenly you open up more one-on-one matchups for Fant and Sutton, and if you force 2-high you get those favorable box matchups, establish the run, then attack the middle off that with play-action. Now you’ve got an offense that forces the defense to make tough choices, something we haven’t seen in 5-6 years. 

At CB I think it depends on free agency. If no CB is signed I think it might be the team’s biggest need. With CHJ or another free agent signed, a lot less dire and you may not need a rookie to play immediately. 

So, another question. have any of our roster guys shown the ability to be a dangerous WR2 or are they mostly 3-5 guys?

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, another question. have any of our roster guys shown the ability to be a dangerous WR2 or are they mostly 3-5 guys?

I think they might have a nice 3 and 4, but you're missing the 2 or even the 1b who can take pressure off Courtland. DaeSean's upside is probably the reliable 3 we saw down the stretch with Lock, and if he turns out to be that he'll be a helpful player. Patrick looks like more of a 4, someone who can step in for Sutton or opposite Sutton and provide a size mismatch, while also playing some special teams. Spencer is pretty much just a gadget player, and one whose gadget snaps would likely be swallowed up by a rookie like Ruggs. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 1:12 AM, BroncoBruin said:

Who are my selections you're alluding to? There isn't a single running back I feel like they "need" to get. Go get Joshua Kelley in the 6th, that sounds good. That's fair investment at the position. A 1st or 2nd on the running back position is the single worst use of resources imaginable. You're in fantasy land with this team, daydreaming about #3 running backs and taking Jalen Hurts to use him as a gadget player, a freaking gadget player. Pair those two picks with the best long snapper in college football and you're really cooking. Just complete delusion regarding where this franchise is at and the many pieces they need to add. 

Elway and Russell have their flaws, but they are not going to waste critical capital at the RB position with Lindsay and Freeman on the roster. 

I could be wrong, but Freeman seems inconsistent to me. I like him, but think the Broncos could use a real bell cow. Lindsay is awesome, but I don't think his long term role is the number one option at RB. Therefore, I'm okay with theveryone Broncos using a 2nd pick on a guy like Swift.

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Usually I'm a big fan of OL/DL guys in the first but maybe not so much this year. Both look fairly deep at the top end and with the coaching talent (Kolar,Munchak) at those spots I think we can fill our needs in the 2nd/3rd.

I'm curious about a couple of things though and would appreciate some input.

At two position groups CB and WR which would you feel is the biggest need? Also, which group in the draft is deepest, WR or CB?

As far as WR's I've seen Ruggs, Lamb and Juedy mocked to us and at CB, Okudah, Fulton and Diggs. Chances are good at least two or three should be available. How 'bout some thoughts?

To me, Wirfs (if there) or potentially Kinlaw are the DL guys reasonably in range, and even with that, I have some questions on Kinlaw and his scheme fit.

If we re-sign Harris, WR is the bigger need, IMO. If we don't, it will depend on what happens in FA. We got some pretty decent production at CB out of bit players, so it's not unreasonable to think we a) will see further growth there, b) may not place as much of an emphasis on it in Fangio's scheme. Also, if Bausby comes back, I think he'll be CB2, assuming he hasn't lost a step. Reality is, Bausby, Harris, and even Duke Dawson are going to compete at some level. 

At CB, I think Okudah is a pipe dream. He's going Top 5. I think Fulton/Diggs are possible, and I prefer Fulton to Diggs. I'm not really that sold on Diggs. It's anecdotal, but I feel like every time I watch, he's getting burned.

WR is definitely a deeper class. I don't think Lamb is going to be an option. Honestly, if Ruggs runs as fast as expected, he probably won't be around at 15 either, but who knows. I could see Jeudy fall, and if he does, I'd want him. I think it's not unrealistic to think Denver may double dip at WR. Elway has flat out said he wants to be able to outscore the Chiefs, that isn't gonna happen unless there's more weapons.

Jeudy, Tee Higgins, Reagor, Shenault are all good options for us. 

I suspect FO to trade back if the top 3 OT have already been chosen. Ruggs by its speed is a nice option but the drop in potential in OT is so great that the temptation to recover a 2nd round to fill the defensive holes (CB-ILB) is very likely especially since the depth of the WR this year is important.
The choices in FA will determine the draft policy. If they think the TOP 3 of OT is unaffordable they will pay in FA

I love Ruggs, but am so wary of R1 speedsters. Even coming from elite programs, and even when they are football players and not athletes. Just personal bias I assume. 

I think Sutton is a true deep threat. 15.4 YPC is borderline elite. Marquise Brown is the prototypical deep threat and averaged less than that. His YPC is within one yard of classic deep threats like Tyrell Williams and James Washington. I just dont think we need to go R1 for a burner. 

My ideal realistic draft right now (I think all 3 of the first guys are plug-and-play):

R1 - Kristian Fulton - CB - LSU - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kristian-fulton/Qmu4Q6YhUs

R2 - Cesar Ruiz - IOL - Michigan - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cesar-ruiz/HRgG1Dhpp7

*** Trade up into bottom of R2 (DEN R3 + DEN R4) ***

R2 - Tyler Johnson - WR - Minnesota - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tyler-johnson/MIJ3TvOayq

R3 - Troy Dye - LB - Oregon - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/troy-dye/XeBWUxiKnE

R3 - Cole Van Lanen - OT - Wisconsin - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cole-van-lanen/iWXcKW6UU3

R4 - Lynn Bowden - WR - Kentucky - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28262079/kentucky-lynn-bowden-jr-declares-nfl-draft

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I love Ruggs, but am so wary of R1 speedsters. Even coming from elite programs, and even when they are football players and not athletes. Just personal bias I assume. 

I think Sutton is a true deep threat. 15.4 YPC is borderline elite. Marquise Brown is the prototypical deep threat and averaged less than that. His YPC is within one yard of classic deep threats like Tyrell Williams and James Washington. I just dont think we need to go R1 for a burner. 

My ideal realistic draft right now (I think all 3 of these guys are plug-and-play):

R1 - Kristian Fulton - CB - LSU - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kristian-fulton/Qmu4Q6YhUs

R2 - Cesar Ruiz - IOL - Michigan - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cesar-ruiz/HRgG1Dhpp7

*** Trade up into bottom of R2 ***

R2 - Tyler Johnson - WR - Minnesota - https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tyler-johnson/MIJ3TvOayq

Agree with all of this and like that draft, aside from Johnson.  I don’t hate Johnson, but he seems limited physically.  

Agree with all of this and like that draft, aside from Johnson.  I don’t hate Johnson, but he seems limited physically.  

Johnson reminds me a ton of Michael Gallup. A 4.50 guy with average size that just knows how to play the game.

33TD, 15.5 YPC and zero injury worries for a guy that played tons of snaps in a good conference is quite impressive. He has also never fumbled a ball.

6 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Johnson reminds me a ton of Michael Gallup. A 4.50 guy with average size that just knows how to play the game.

33TD, 15.5 YPC and zero injury worries for a guy that played tons of snaps in a good conference is quite impressive. He has also never fumbled a ball.

My only comment is that while I love Gallup (I chose him in our GM game Rd3), I don't know that a Gallup-type helps us as much as a burner with YAC ability does.   I'm hoping Reagor keeps his time around 4.35+, that probably drops him to the 2nd round.    If Ruggs runs a 4.3 or less, then yeah, he's iffy at 15.   Again, I worry about Ruggs' production in the context of being the 3 guy.  I have no doubt he's a NFL caliber WR, but this is the class where you can find so much greatness.....it's insane how deep this class is.

The crazy part is, we haven't even seen the small school guys pop up yet.   Normally it's only now that they start getting the love.  

My only comment is that while I love Gallup (I chose him in our GM game Rd3), I don't know that a Gallup-type helps us as much as a burner with YAC ability does. 

I get this, but the demand for Tyreke type YAC guys seems to be higher than the supply. I think its alot easier to find the next Gallup than the next Hill. IMO you can still build a more 'traditional' WR stable and win in this league.

Sutton and Johnson would be a bit more traditional in that sense. Then find a situational YAC guy later. My dude is Lynn Bowden, ideally in R4 but likely he goes earlier. 

https://fanspeak.com/nfldraftnews/2019/12/02/kentuckys-do-it-all-wr-lynn-bowden-sees-nfl-draft-stock-rise/

44 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I get this, but the demand for Tyreke type YAC guys seems to be higher than the supply. I think its alot easier to find the next Gallup than the next Hill. IMO you can still build a more 'traditional' WR stable and win in this league.

Sutton and Johnson would be a bit more traditional in that sense. Then find a situational YAC guy later. My dude is Lynn Bowden, ideally in R4 but likely he goes earlier. 

https://fanspeak.com/nfldraftnews/2019/12/02/kentuckys-do-it-all-wr-lynn-bowden-sees-nfl-draft-stock-rise/

Yeah that’s a fair comment on supply / demand.   Speed kills but paying a premium for speed guys hasn’t gone well in the WR department. 

Bowden would be a great get at Rd4 but his past 2 games have his draft stock skyrocketing.   He will have to interview well though - temper is well known and can’t be a selfish guy.   So freaking talented but extremely volatile.   

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Any other year that would be true. This year they're in position to get that guy.