2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

I like Kinlaw, but I think perhaps some of his upside should be tamped down. He's a load in the middle, which we need to some extent, but I do have some questions about his ability to consistently get after the QB. I wouldn't mind picking him, don't get me wrong, especially because we have Kollar and have shown a propensity to get a lot out of our DL, but not sure he's my top choice.

This draft is so loaded on O at the top end it would be a massive upset to see us go D at 1.15.   The only guys we’d likely consider are guys who shouldn’t be there (Okudah, Derrick Brown, Simmons).   

Simmons I could see falling.   He’s such a tough read because he’s a tweener.   But he might be the alpha ILB Fangio sees, with safety cover skills.  Definitely could play the ILB spot.   Otherwise I think it’s going to be T or WR.   It’s crazy but a lot of touts have Wirfs as the 3rd / 4th T (Wills getting a lot of helium as 2nd T; I don’t see that given his footwork is his worst trait and the issue of playing on a loaded Bama O).     That would leave Wirfs potentially available at 1.15.   I’d be all over that and top WR at 2.15.    Wirfs shouldn’t last beyond the top 10-12 imo.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Counselor said:

What games did you watch?

Early in the year vs Missouri.  By on the ground I also didn’t mean he was getting pancaked and tossed around, seemed more like a leverage problem.  But I just remember thinking man, that guy is flat on his stomach a lot and didn’t know if maybe that’s something others have noticed or if it just seemed to happen a lot in that game.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Only defensive player I’d be happy if we drafted in the 1st

Everything I read and see about the kid is eerily reminiscent of another guy that played Safety in college. You could almost swap the reviews of Simmons with those of Brian Urlacher. 

Tweener, no real position, impact player but where do you play him?

We could do worse.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Everything I read and see about the kid is eerily reminiscent of another guy that played Safety in college. You could almost swap the reviews of Simmons with those of Brian Urlacher. 

Tweener, no real position, impact player but where do you play him?

We could do worse.

That’s actually the first time I’ve heard that comparison and like it. 

Urlacher was a lot bigger coming out, but both somewhat unicorns for their era.

Edited by germ-x

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

Yeah Simmons needs to trade his orange jersey in for ours 

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Only defensive player I’d be happy if we drafted in the 1st

Realistically, we're never getting Brown or Okudah.   Simmons would change our D.  He's the closest to Urlacher V2 that I can see.   Remember, Urlacher was a S in college too IIRC.

Otherwise, it's O all the way at 1.15, I don't see anyone else on D that is realistically falling to us that's of the same caliber as the O guys left. 

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

That’s actually the first time I’ve heard that comparison and like it. 

Urlacher was a lot bigger coming out, but both somewhat unicorns for their era.

If what I'm hearing about Simmons is correct they're almost physical clones at the same age. Urlacher, 6'4"  and a lean 240 playing weight. If the radio announcers are correct they keep refering to Simmons in the same terms. Both physical freaks.

Imagine a 6' 4", 240 lb safety with athletic abilities matching guys 30-40 lbs lighter. I think thats what you've got in both guys. Frightening no matter how you slice it.

Urlacher played between 255-265 most of his career and never lost any speed or quickness. Bet Simmons could do the same. Thats frightening too. A 6'4", 260 lb linebacker with the speed and athleticism of most safeties.

I love the idea of Simmons in Denver. What a toy for Fangio.

With 12 picks in the draft we've got some capitol to move around. Hard to imagine any other player in college that would have the immediate impact Simmons would on our defense. He and Alexander side by side? Yee haw!

• Like 1