2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I like the priorities in the draft. IOL is really thin for us and an impact WR would be a great move. Give Shurmer a full compliment of good ballplayers to implement his system.

I'm curious what they do with McGregor. Re-sign him, let him test FA, I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me to see Schlottman at center. 

Man I think Schlottman at OC would be risky.  McGovern is probably going to get paid a bit more than he should, but he’s 26 and locks that position down for the next 4-5 years if re-signed.

What is interesting is the majority of players Denver has let go in FA go on to never replicate the production they had in Denver.  The only one off the top of my head that had left and had success is Trevathan.

Matt Paradis was one of them.  According to PFF Paradis had a grade of 63 while McGovern had a grade of 71.  

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Man I think Schlottman at OC would be risky.  McGovern is probably going to get paid a bit more than he should, but he’s 26 and locks that position down for the next 4-5 years if re-signed.

What is interesting is the majority of players Denver has let go in FA go on to never replicate the production they had in Denver.  The only one off the top of my head that had left and had success is Trevathan.

Matt Paradis was one of them.  According to PFF Paradis had a grade of 63 while McGovern had a grade of 71.  

Yeah maybe, but he was really good at center for TCU. Just lacked the bulk coming out of college. Just someone to keep an eye on.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Patrick Morris will be an in-house replacement at either C or RG. Munchak loves him. 

I didn't see him more than a few snaps, way too little to have any opinion.

It'd be great to have him step up though. A big jump for either he or Schlottman would be huge. 

25 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Patrick Morris will be an in-house replacement at either C or RG. Munchak loves him. 

Man, that is as risky a play as Schlottman. I hope both Morris and Schlottman pan out and the OC/RG jobs are filled with incredibly cheap players, but we’re talking about 2 undersized UDFAs barely capable of making teams last season as potential starters on the OL.  It could be a huge coup if even 1 of them worked or a huge disaster if that’s what Denver is banking on. 

I obviously don’t know them and haven’t seen much of either outside of playing for Denver, but that would take some cajones to roll into the season even letting them compete against each other for 1 job, IMO.

3 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

In a perfect world, I’d love to fill our big DL holes in FA: DL, MLB, CB.  Then use the draft to load up on offensive weapons.  Hopefully one of the top 3 WR in Rd 1, the center from LSU in 2 (move McGregor to RG, or go with one our  developmental guys), then grab a developmental tackle, a RB, and. CB in 3, and another WR in 4.  In a perfect world. 

McGovern ??

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Man, that is as risky a play as Schlottman. I hope both Morris and Schlottman pan out and the OC/RG jobs are filled with incredibly cheap players, but we’re talking about 2 undersized UDFAs barely capable of making teams last season as potential starters on the OL.  It could be a huge coup if even 1 of them worked or a huge disaster if that’s what Denver is banking on. 

I obviously don’t know them and haven’t seen much of either outside of playing for Denver, but that would take some cajones to roll into the season even letting them compete against each other for 1 job, IMO.

I believe Munchak has history with Morris back in his PIT days, so maybe not as much risk. If McGovern asks for too much money, at least he's a good option to explore.

We have tons of money to spend. Letting McGovern go at 26 would be foolish unless he is getting huge offers. I think he can be had for 6-8M AV. 

We talk about protecting Lock and building continuity along the OL then want to move on from a guy who has shown the versatility to play all the IOL spots, always grades well on PFF and passes the eye test (Most the time) to penny pinch and throw street guys in that spot. 

You guys are aware that the money we save on using Schlottman or Patrick Morris isnt redistributed to this forum right?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

We have tons of money to spend. Letting McGovern go at 26 would be foolish unless he is getting huge offers. I think he can be had for 6-8M AV. 

We talk about protecting Lock and building continuity along the OL then want to move on from a guy who has shown the versatility to play all the IOL spots, always grades well on PFF and passes the eye test (Most the time) to penny pinch and throw street guys in that spot. 

You guys are aware that the money we save on using Schlottman or Patrick Morris isnt redistributed to this forum right?

So, if our staff really feels McGovern is our best option they'll sign him. I'm just not sure they do.

Don't be fooled by the UDFA tag. There are more UDFA's and low draft picks on OL's than anywhere else. 

Both Morris and Schlottman, team mates at TCU have a lot of good tape, they can both play. These aren't "street guys". The "undersized" tag really doesn't apply anymore. They're both quite athletic, strong (32 reps at 225) , quick and both now have a year under their belts of Munchak's coaching. 

If we don't re-sign McGovern it won't bother me. It'll mean Munchak believes he has upgrades on the roster.

Worth reading on Morris:

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/05/2018-nfl-draft-player-profiles-tcu-c-patrick-morris/

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, if our staff really feels McGovern is our best option they'll sign him. I'm just not sure they do.

Don't be fooled by the UDFA tag. There are more UDFA's and low draft picks on OL's than anywhere else. 

Both Morris and Schlottman, team mates at TCU have a lot of good tape, they can both play. These aren't "street guys". The "undersized" tag really doesn't apply anymore. They're both quite athletic, strong (32 reps at 225) , quick and both now have a year under their belts of Munchak's coaching. 

If we don't re-sign McGovern it won't bother me. It'll mean Munchak believes he has upgrades on the roster.

Worth reading on Morris:

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/05/2018-nfl-draft-player-profiles-tcu-c-patrick-morris/

Regardless, that’s a ballsy move that could end up a complete dumpster fire.  We know McGovern is an NFL caliber OC and OG and a pretty solid one at that.  Morris/Schlottmann are still UDFAs who’ve barely made 53 man rosters over the past 2 years.

Now all of a sudden they’re our starting OC and RG?  Like I said, ballsy move even if Elway and company really like em.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

To be fair we didn’t know that at this time last year. There was quite a bit of hand ringing over letting Paradis walk and moving Connor over

In terms of his ability at Center I would agree, but he’s a very capable guard as well, one of PFFs highest graded run blockers at OG the year he primarily played there.  I actually think his best fit is at RG, as opposed to OC, but he was moved there because Leary was coming back healthy and Denver had a hole there. 

OC is relatively new to him.  He never started a game there in college having played both tackle spots and RG.  McGovern is also exceptionally strong doing 33 reps on bench at the combine, maxes out his bench at over 500 pounds and owns the Missouri squat record at 690.  He also happened to run a 5.11.  

At the end of the day, there are a lot of players that put up terrific numbers like Morris (and that includes McGovern) that suggest they should be quality players.  McGovern has actually been a quality player over the last 2-3 years while Morris/Schlottmann have been scratching and clawing to make a team.  I am rooting for them, but Elway and company can’t hang their hats on either of those 2 being starters.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

In terms of his ability at Center I would agree, but he’s a very capable guard as well, one of PFFs highest graded run blockers at OG the year he primarily played there.  I actually think his best fit is at RG, as opposed to OC, but he was moved there because Leary was coming back healthy and Denver had a hole there. 

OC is relatively new to him.  He never started a game there in college having played both tackle spots and RG.  McGovern is also exceptionally strong doing 33 reps on bench at the combine, maxes out his bench at over 500 pounds and owns the Missouri squat record at 690.  He also happened to run a 5.11.  

At the end of the day, there are a lot of players that put up terrific numbers like Morris (and that includes McGovern) that suggest they should be quality players.  McGovern has actually been a quality player over the last 2-3 years while Morris/Schlottmann have been scratching and clawing to make a team.  I am rooting for them, but Elway and company can’t hang their hats on either of those 2 being starters.

Just conversationally, Morris beats McGovern in almost all measurable statistics. 37 reps, 720 lb squat, 35.5 vertical, 5.09 40 and most telling, a 7.34 3 cone. Excellent technician also. I started looking at him after @BroncoBruin brought him up. I'm really impressed. He's added about 20 lbs since college. 

Great lateral mobility and change of direction. He's far better suited for pass pro than McGovern. Don't get me wrong, I like Connor, I just don't think he's the guy you want as your center for the next decade. He's just too much of an A gap liability in pass pro.

The coaches will decide and personally I don't think money will have much to do with it. I think they'll provide Lock the best protection they can. 

As far as scratching and clawing to make a team, thats pretty overstated. Both guys signed were on the PS their first year. We were lucky to get Morris when the Steelers tried to get him back to the PS from their 53. Both guys were on our 53 to end the season. Schlottman had 5 starts at RG and I thought played pretty well. 

Just a guess, but I think Connor will chase the money, 1 of the 2 of Morris and Schlottman will be our starting center next year, and the other may very well be our RG. If not and we draft a top notch RG, either of the two guys would be very good IOL backups.

Anyway, it makes me pretty happy. Three young talented guys coming into their own vying for two spots with the loser a backup. Add Risner and we've got what could be a very solid, deep IOL made up of kids.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Just conversationally, Morris beats McGovern in almost all measurable statistics. 37 reps, 720 lb squat, 35.5 vertical, 5.09 40 and most telling, a 7.34 3 cone. Excellent technician also. I started looking at him after @BroncoBruin brought him up. I'm really impressed. He's added about 20 lbs since college. 

Great lateral mobility and change of direction. He's far better suited for pass pro than McGovern. Don't get me wrong, I like Connor, I just don't think he's the guy you want as your center for the next decade. He's just too much of an A gap liability in pass pro.

The coaches will decide and personally I don't think money will have much to do with it. I think they'll provide Lock the best protection they can. 

As far as scratching and clawing to make a team, thats pretty overstated. Both guys signed were on the PS their first year. We were lucky to get Morris when the Steelers tried to get him back to the PS from their 53. Both guys were on our 53 to end the season. Schlottman had 5 starts at RG and I thought played pretty well. 

Just a guess, but I think Connor will chase the money, 1 of the 2 of Morris and Schlottman will be our starting center next year, and the other may very well be our RG. If not and we draft a top notch RG, either of the two guys would be very good IOL backups.

Anyway, it makes me pretty happy. Three young talented guys coming into their own vying for two spots with the loser a backup. Add Risner and we've got what could be a very solid, deep IOL made up of kids.

I love your OL takes....but I hope you’re wrong in this instance, haha.  I hope the team signs McGovern and either drafts an IOL top 80 or spends FA dollars on a RG.  

When you’re being stashed on the practice squad, inactive the majority of the year, trying to be stashed back on the practice squad, and only getting playing time due to injuries that’s the definition of scratching and clawing and that’s been Morris and Schlottmann over the last 2 years.

Neither has done anything in two years in the NFL for anyone to view them as anything more than backups.  Yes the coaches will decide, but there is absolutely nothing in their NFL history (even watching the few NFL games they’ve played in) as a fan to suggest Denver has their staring OC and RG on the roster with those 2.  They’re interesting guys, mainly Morris with his explosiveness, but even then no one is mentioning his 31 inch arm length which is  as concerning as is impressive his explosiveness and probably the reason he wasn’t drafted because it didn’t meet minimum NFL team requirements for the position.  The guy is a t-rex by NFL standards.

Edited by germ-x