Jump to content
BroncoBruin

2020 College Prospects

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

While the Combine isn't the end-all and be-all by itself, its effect on draft stock is undeniable.

From today's drills, a few observations:

-Jeudy & Lamb held serve, Lamb's 40 time was actually a little lower than expected, and he looked amazing in drills.   

-Ruggs got the sub-4.3 time, so his stock remains intact.   He had to ice his hammys after the 40, though, so he couldn't do the 3-cone or shuttle.   His vert & broad were insane, so the label of the #3 WR in this group is pretty much a lock.

-Shenault ran a disappointing 40...then sat out the rest of the drills.  That's going to make his stock tumble hard, unless his Pro Day is just a monster-fest showing.   When you add in the injury history, it wouldn't shock me to see him fall out of the top 5 WR group at all.

-Reagor did great in the burst/explosion drills, with a great vert / broad, but his 40 time, while really good, wasn't even close to top 3 speed.  Again, 40 time is overblown, but that's a huge part of Reagor's appeal.  It wouldn't shock me to see him be there at Rd2 when we draft...and even maybe Rd3, especially given the insane depth this class has.

-3 guys who absolutely made millions tonight were Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims & Justin Jefferson.   They all have college production, but there were questions on their athletic ceiling - and they showed special tools.   Again, I would easily take Jeudy/Lamb as the top guys, don't get me wrong - but the Rd2-3 tier of value is going to be insane.

-TE-wise, we won't go early, but 2 guys who made millions were Claypool (bulked up to 238, 80' wingspan, and then a 4.42 40 wow) and Adam Troutman, who posted an insane 6.78 3-cone - 2nd amongst ALL RECEIVERS....let alone TE.   Neither guy I think is going until Day 2, but they moved way up the board as a result.

This WR class is just insane.  I didn't even include guys like Duvernay & Peoples-Jones, who posted solid numbers to help their case for what they do best - and guys who sat out (Lynn Bowden was really disappointing to not see him, Higgins probably made a smart move to sit this out, and get ready for his Pro Day).

Higgins & Shenault really need to impress at their Pro Day, to keep their spots in the convo for the 5-10 tier.  

Reagor is not going in Round 3. He's a 2nd rounder at worst, and I think he's a likely 1st rounder when it's all said and done.

I watched the combine, and came away very impressed with Lamb. 40 time is whatever to me, if you're agonizingly slow, that's one thing. Lamb had speed right around what I'd expect and looked so smooth in every single drill. Jeudy looked good as well. The hype was on Ruggs because of his speed, but him not participating in drills was somewhat of a bummer.

Denver is going to grab one of the top WR prospects, it's just a matter of who. I really hope Jeudy or Lamb falls for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Reagor's agility numbers were also really bad. 7.31 3-cone. Really surprising. 

 

52 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I think Reagor may have put on too much weight.

Let me be clear - I think Reagor is a really good prospect.   His 2019 lack of production was all about having literally the worst O and QB in college around.   Adding too much weight could certainly explain the diff in his film and yesterday. 

But yeah, it's not even the 40 that hurt Reagor alone - the lack of agility by the 3-cone, combined with the non-elite 40, is going to hurt his draft stock, given how deep this WR class is.   Other years, those likely would be overcome, but this year, it's just so loaded with high-end talent.

It's why I totally endorse the idea of double dipping in the draft - go WR with one of our top 2 picks, but also hit it again with our Rd3-4 pool of picks.    With Sutton, you'd have 3 potential long-term pieces with far greater talent than the draft capital spent normally gets.    Again, I think we should hit FA for 1 WR2 as rookies take time - but going 2-WR in 2020’s draft is a smart move given the depth of the class this year.    There is no one on our roster that should make us think we don’t need to upgrade 3+ spots.   Fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Reagor is not going in Round 3. He's a 2nd rounder at worst, and I think he's a likely 1st rounder when it's all said and done.

I watched the combine, and came away very impressed with Lamb. 40 time is whatever to me, if you're agonizingly slow, that's one thing. Lamb had speed right around what I'd expect and looked so smooth in every single drill. Jeudy looked good as well. The hype was on Ruggs because of his speed, but him not participating in drills was somewhat of a bummer.

Denver is going to grab one of the top WR prospects, it's just a matter of who. I really hope Jeudy or Lamb falls for whatever reason.

Lamb is my guy.  Best WR prospect in awhile, IMO.  But I think Denver’s guy is going to be Ruggs.  They want speed.  I get there are others who tested well as vertical threats (Mims being one) sub 4.40 is fast, but 4.27 is special game changer speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After yesterday I’d be really surprised if Lamb or Jeudy fell past 1.12 range.   It’s now very possible Ruggs and those 2 are gone by 1.15.    The premium on elite speed is nuts.   We saw what happened with Fuller / Ross, and the number of teams looking for a game breaker is pretty high.  
 

There are a fair number of teams right behind us too that are looking for that WR - so their awareness of Elway’s priority to find the next Tyreek Hill definitely seems to put us as the floor for top 3 WR - and I’m not a fan of moving up given how insane this WR class is - if those 3 are gone, likely means one of the T’s could be there.   Going T then WR Rd2 with a Mims - level guy is very much ok with me.     

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

After yesterday I’d be really surprised if Lamb or Jeudy fell past 1.12 range.   It’s now very possible Ruggs and those 2 are gone by 1.15.    The premium on elite speed is nuts.   We saw what happened with Fuller / Ross, and the number of teams looking for a game breaker is pretty high.  
 

There are a fair number of teams right behind us too that are looking for that WR - so their awareness of Elway’s priority to find the next Tyreek Hill definitely seems to put us as the floor for top 3 WR - and I’m not a fan of moving up given how insane this WR class is - if those 3 are gone, likely means one of the T’s could be there.   Going T then WR Rd2 with a Mims - level guy is very much ok with me.     

I would agree.  It wouldn’t surprise me if some teams value Ruggs over 1 or both of Lamb/Jeudy.  I can honestly see Elway moving up for Ruggs, not the move I’d make, but this team is desperate for a #2 WR with speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arizona’s trade up from 15 to 10 in 2018 cost them #79 and #152.

I realize there’s depth but there’s also a clear Tier 1 that includes Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs. I would seriously consider moving up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Lamb is my guy.  Best WR prospect in awhile, IMO.  But I think Denver’s guy is going to be Ruggs.  They want speed.  I get there are others who tested well as vertical threats (Mims being one) sub 4.40 is fast, but 4.27 is special game changer speed.

Would Elway want Ruggs since he is from Alabama (he seems to have an aversion to drafting Alabama players)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Would Elway want Ruggs since he is from Alabama (he seems to have an aversion to drafting Alabama players)?

True.  There are reports that Elway feels Sabin maxes them out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

After yesterday I’d be really surprised if Lamb or Jeudy fell past 1.12 range.   It’s now very possible Ruggs and those 2 are gone by 1.15.    The premium on elite speed is nuts.   We saw what happened with Fuller / Ross, and the number of teams looking for a game breaker is pretty high.  
 

There are a fair number of teams right behind us too that are looking for that WR - so their awareness of Elway’s priority to find the next Tyreek Hill definitely seems to put us as the floor for top 3 WR - and I’m not a fan of moving up given how insane this WR class is - if those 3 are gone, likely means one of the T’s could be there.   Going T then WR Rd2 with a Mims - level guy is very much ok with me.     

If it so happens the top 3 WR are off the board and with 3+ QB's taken before us that should leave us with a top tier OT or Defensive lineman.  I think were in a good spot at 15 and can sit tight and still land a guy who will start from Day1.  I agree as well that if we land a top tier OT then in round 2 we can still get a WR that should help us out immediately.  Lots of depth in the middle rounds for us to land a couple WR's to fill out our rotation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, germ-x said:

True.  There are reports that Elway feels Sabin maxes them out. 

I feel like that’s a solid decision with any RBs out of Bama, but they’ve been so deep at WR lately every single one leaves early. I don’t think a 4.27 is going to raise Ruggs all that much because everyone already knew he had sub 4.3 speed. But I do think he’s more likely to before Lamb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are a few QB-hungry teams and there are three sure fire top 6 QB. I'm hoping Jordan Love start ballin-out and moves up into the top 12 pushing a top OT or WR down to 15, wouldn't hurt my feelings if Ruggs jumps up too. 

Quote

 

 

Edited by Cutler06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like some of the RBs we're meeting with. Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, and Ke'Shawn Vaughn. I like all of them. Wouldn't mind using a 3rd on any one of those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine whatever Bama rule that exists (and I’m not certain there’s anything to this because they did try to get CJ Mosley) would apply to a WR that doesn’t have much tread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

I feel like that’s a solid decision with any RBs out of Bama, but they’ve been so deep at WR lately every single one leaves early. I don’t think a 4.27 is going to raise Ruggs all that much because everyone already knew he had sub 4.3 speed. But I do think he’s more likely to before Lamb.

I think CeeDee could drop a bit if the Cardinals don’t pick him. He doesn’t have the prototypical size or speed and isn’t quite the polished route runner Jeudy is. Come on down to 15...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×