2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

44 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I hate that Denver does this, but they almost have to take a WR at #15 (possibly trading up from 15) or trade up from #46 to get one.  I understand it is a deep class, but you also want to get the right guy.  You can’t go into next year with Tim Patrick as the #2 WR and I like Patrick, but you want him as your #4. 

I really think they need to get their guy at WR. Given how much 11 personnel Shurmur likes to run, there’s no other position on the team where two of the starters are better served as depth. Tim Patrick and DaeSean Hamilton being on the field a majority of the time isn’t good enough, not even close. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

54 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

dont think he is avaliable at 15. 

I keep doing 1st round mocks on the draft network just to see possible scenarios of how the draft falls. Usually (at least) one of Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, Thomas, or Kinlaw is available. in that case we take one of these elite prospects (not as high on Ruggs as others but at the risk of sounding like Al Davis, you can’t deny that speed). I did have an interesting board fall the other day where all of them were gone. CJ Henderson was the falling prospect. He doesn’t really fit what we need at CB but does fit what the Vikings do. I think in this scenario trading 15 + 46 for 22 + 25, would be the way to go. Having the ability to potentially nab Mims and Queen/Murphy or one of the second tier CBS like Arnette.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I really think they need to get their guy at WR. Given how much 11 personnel Shurmur likes to run, there’s no other position on the team where two of the starters are better served as depth. Tim Patrick and DaeSean Hamilton being on the field a majority of the time isn’t good enough, not even close. 

Agreed.  Like I said it’s a deep class so it’s easy to look at it from the perspective of being able to get a quality prospect even into the 3rd round, but is that the guy you really want?  

Denver’s been connected with adding speed, not all of these WRs are burners surprisingly a lot of the guys projected for that (Reagor, Ayiuk) were somewhat disappointing in that area.

I think a guy being slept on a bit for Denver at #15 is Justin Jefferson.  He’s going to be a really good player for a long time and can work both outside and in the slot.  Denzel Mims is the other.  At  #15 it would be a reach, but a trade back or trade up and he brings the speed Denver is reportedly looking for.  

• Like 1

He doesn’t really fit what we need at CB but does fit what the Vikings do. I think in this scenario trading 15 + 46 for 22 + 25, would be the way to go. Having the ability to potentially nab Mims and Queen/Murphy or one of the second tier CBS like Arnette.

If the top 13 guys are gone, I 100% want to trade down. That means Tua and Herbert are avaliable so IMO the Vikings wouldnt be the squad to offer a good trade up. Miami likely would be in play, since the board falling like that implies they didnt take a QB 3rd. 

Mims is enticing, but Jefferson is starting to peak my interest. We seem to have keyed in on a deep threat but Jefferson feasting at the 2nd level with Fant and Sutton opening the field could work as well. 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I hate that Denver does this, but they almost have to take a WR at #15 (possibly trading up from 15) or trade up from #46 to get one.  I understand it is a deep class, but you also want to get the right guy.  You can’t go into next year with Tim Patrick as the #2 WR and I like Patrick, but you want him as your #4. 

I disagree we're locked into selecting a WR at 15,  especially given  the 2021 WR draft looks better than this one. Yes, we do need to get at least one WR out of this draft but realistically we're not competing for the division with KC this year so I think we fill our needs as BPA. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I keep doing 1st round mocks on the draft network just to see possible scenarios of how the draft falls. Usually (at least) one of Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, Thomas, or Kinlaw is available. in that case we take one of these elite prospects (not as high on Ruggs as others but at the risk of sounding like Al Davis, you can’t deny that speed). I did have an interesting board fall the other day where all of them were gone. CJ Henderson was the falling prospect. He doesn’t really fit what we need at CB but does fit what the Vikings do. I think in this scenario trading 15 + 46 for 22 + 25, would be the way to go. Having the ability to potentially nab Mims and Queen/Murphy or one of the second tier CBS like Arnette.

Try this simulator, it allows for trades as well.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

1 minute ago, Cutler06 said:

I disagree we're locked into selecting a WR at 15,  especially given  the 2021 WR draft looks better than this one. Yes, we do need to get at least one WR out of this draft but realistically we're not competing for the division with KC this year so I think we fill our needs as BPA. 

I don’t think you can ever bank on what you’re going to be able to acquire a year from now.  

My gut feeling is Denver moves up to 9 or 10 to jump the Jets, Raiders, and 49ers and that they make Henry Ruggs the 1st WR taken in the draft.

7 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I don’t think you can ever bank on what you’re going to be able to acquire a year from now.  

My gut feeling is Denver moves up to 9 or 10 to jump the Jets, Raiders, and 49ers and that they make Henry Ruggs the 1st WR taken in the draft.

That would be a dumb move. I really hope not as it would indicate a transition back to the draft philosophy of the mid 2010s

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

That would be a dumb move. I really hope not as it would indicate a transition back to the draft philosophy of the mid 2010s

As far as blatantly targeting need goes, yes. But they never had top 10-12 picks in that era and Elway’s admitted how much easier it is to get it right when you’re picking from the top tier players in the class. Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb are all great prospects. If you can get one of those guys while holding on to your 2nd and at least two of your 3rds, I think it’s worth it. 

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah, I think his technique is more RT at this point but he has the traits to be a dominant LT as well. I think he would be RG initially with GG at center. Then when James gets hurt (physically, emotionally, spiritually, whatever) everyone slides down and Morris comes in at OC. 

I love the scenario but I just don't see him falling out of the top 10. 

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Getting into the top 10 feels wildly unnecessary though. That costs either a 2nd or two of your thirds. I’m happy with any of the three WRs, so I wouldn’t need to jump that high.

I'd think a move up a few spots is definitely possible as you indicate. Getting to 12 would cost a 3rd or so. I can't imagine all 3 WR's being gone by 12 if thats our target.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Getting into the top 10 feels wildly unnecessary though. That costs either a 2nd or two of your thirds. I’m happy with any of the three WRs, so I wouldn’t need to jump that high.

I think it’s 50/50 if 1 of those 3 are available at #15.  Jets, Raiders, 49ers all with glaring holes at WR.  The only positive is the Raiders/49ers have 2 1sts and may feel comfortable going a different direction.  But I think a case could be made that WR is BPA picks 10-15.

I would be pretty dissapointed in a trade up. Its fully possible that Jefferson ends up the best WR in this draft class and we could actually move down for him. 

Not too talked about but if Herbert is there at 15 we may have a handful of suitors. Something like 15 and 95 to JAX for 20 and 42. 

1.20 - Justin Jefferson WR - LSU

2.42 - Antoine Winfield DB - Minnesota

2.46 - Lloyyd Cushenberry III OL - LSU

Thats three immediate contributors, two starters and a guy in Winfield that should play 50-60%+ snaps. 

Just now, germ-x said:

I think it’s 50/50 if 1 of those 3 are available at #15.  Jets, Raiders, 49ers all with glaring holes at WR.  The only positive is the Raiders/49ers have 2 1sts and may feel comfortable going a different direction.  But I think a case could be made that WR is BPA picks 10-15.

If one of the three is available at 13, there’s your trade. Close relationship and 49ers need more picks (four full rounds between their 2nd and 3rd picks). Can you get that done for a fourth + a 2021 fourth? I think at worst, our last 3rd gets that done. 

One thing you can’t account for is the teams who will try to move ahead of the Broncos for one of these guys. Their love for Ruggs is the worst kept secret of this draft. 

• Like 1