2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t think it’s inconceivable that Viska slips to the 3rd round. 

Agreed.  With his injuries and no teams getting guys in for physicals etc it wouldn’t surprise me at all

Edited by broncofan48
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

It’s going to be a weird draft.  A lot of players unable to test.  Teams unable to visit as many.  Teams already concerned with how draft day trading is going to work virtually.  I think you see a lot more teams play this very safe.  

And that is why you pick BPA with every pick from those who are proven at college level - this is not a draft to take chances outside of the last couple of rounds.

29 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Interesting, does that drop him down to mid-to-late 3rd ?? Can't see him falling much later than that

I doubt it unless it’s more than core surgery.   His skill set is known and the injury isn’t a long term risk.  The Rd1 talk likely dies but that’s a steep drop.  Having said that the class is so deep late Rd2 seems possible.  

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I doubt it unless it’s more than core surgery.   His skill set is known and the injury isn’t a long term risk.  The Rd1 talk likely dies but that’s a steep drop.  Having said that the class is so deep late Rd2 seems possible.  

Somewhat similar to Laviskas and I could see him dropping to the 3rd and he's truly a better receiver when 100%.  Do believe Laviskas got a more prominent injury history though. 

33 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Somewhat similar to Laviskas and I could see him dropping to the 3rd and he's truly a better receiver when 100%.  Do believe Laviskas got a more prominent injury history though. 

That's the issue though - Shenault's injury flag is massive.

I agree totally on Shenault falling to 3rd as within the range of possible outcomes and in fact, said as much in November - and I do recall being told that was crazy lol.   Maybe it happens to Aiyuk, but his arrow is still pretty firmly planted up or steady, Shenault's been falling since the Combine given his injury issues have been raised again.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

If either of them drop to the 3rd, Denver should make a move to secure them. Even if they’ve picked a WR in R1. 

Absolutely.  As the first pillar in our draft strategy...no way.   Too much risk, given the alternatives.  As the 3rd-4th guy, with what's left at that stage?  The juice is worth the squeeze then.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

That's the issue though - Shenault's injury flag is massive.

I agree totally on Shenault falling to 3rd as within the range of possible outcomes and in fact, said as much in November - and I do recall being told that was crazy lol.   Maybe it happens to Aiyuk, but his arrow is still pretty firmly planted up or steady, Shenault's been falling since the Combine given his injury issues have been raised again.

Well, I never saw Aiyuk higher than a mid-2nd anyway so if he does drop, hopefully it can benefit the Broncos !!

45 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Brugler has him at 23, McShay 20, Miller 29, Jeremiah 24. We’d be very lucky to get him at 46.

So who do you believe, them or me ??  9_9

BTW,  I'll be SHOCKED if he goes 1st round, I'll prove the EXPERTS wrong, by golly !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

So who do you believe, them or me ??  9_9

BTW,  I'll be SHOCKED if he goes 1st round, I'll prove the EXPERTS wrong, by golly !!

Keep in mind though that overall BPA rarely predicts exact draft placement, unless it's a top 15 guy, for example.    If Ayiuk is the 24th-30th overall, but the 7th-8th WR, there's a good chance that he won't go in the 1st - and the so-called experts aren't saying he's going in the 1st, either, at least not by their Big Board rankings.   No expert Big Board actually predicts teams will pick by overall BPA - hence the annual debate we have each year of BPA vs. need-based early drafting.

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Keep in mind though that overall BPA rarely predicts exact draft placement, unless it's a top 15 guy, for example.    If Ayiuk is the 24th-30th overall, but the 7th-8th WR, there's a good chance that he won't go in the 1st - and the so-called experts aren't saying he's going in the 1st, either, at least not by their Big Board rankings.   No expert Big Board actually predicts teams will pick by overall BPA - hence the annual debate we have each year of BPA vs. need-based early drafting.

It’s all pretty interesting and most rankings come with some sort of bias.  I’ve gotten through 38 prospects so far.  After the top 2 (Burrow and Young) the next 12 or so are  all incredibly close and I could see how one could argue the player I have outside the top 10 should be in the top 5 or 6.

For example a friend of mine thinks I’m too low on Becton (I currently have Becton at #12).  I’m not really that low on him, just see some flaws and prefer others better, but can honestly see the argument that Becton should be at 3 or 4 (my friend has him at #4).  He’s an absolutely devastating run blocker whose sheer size will make him difficult to get around as a pass rusher.

The same could be said for player 15/16 to player 38.  There isn’t a lot of separation there.  A lot of it comes down to bias (a player similar to one you got burned on in the past) or preference.  Testing carries more weight for the friend of mine than it does for me.  He’s likely going to have players that tested well higher in certain areas than I will. 

Klis just came out with a Top 9 for the first round. Some interesting tidbits in his story, namely:

• Doesn't expect Denver to trade up
  • WR is the priority, CB also very likely
  • DL is a "luxury" not a likely R1 pick
  • OT more likely to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder unless the board falls unexpectedly

He listed the following players:

• Ruggs
  • Lamb
  • Jeudy
  • Jefferson
  • Henderson
  • Terrell
  • Okudah
  • Mims
  • Thomas

Especially interesting Okudah is on there. Tells me that Denver views him as potentially the top prospect, and if he falls, then we may see a trade up. Henderson was the first CB listed, and Klis even made a comment about certain scouts thinking he's a better tackler than Okudah, which is wild to me.

Finally, at the tail end, it was noted that if Denver doesn't go WR in Round 1, they could target Reagor, Hamler, or Aiyuk in Round 2. And Klis also makes it sound like if Denver doesn't land either CB/WR in Round 1, they will be very active in moving into Round 2 to get a CB and WR, for what that's worth.

Link here: https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/9-candidates-for-broncos-no-15-overall-draft-pick/73-054e9d76-4740-458e-86f6-2dc7bededdeb