2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No. Again, this team isn't a player away. 

Every single game last year all every one here, myself included, was saying how glaringly lacking this team's depth is. We need players, not a player, no matter how good. The quickest route to real contention is stacking this team with as much young, affordable talent as possible. We have 10 picks, I think we get eight players out of that as I've said all along, and we have to hope we hit on six of those players, not necessary get six Pro Bowlers but get six players who can contribute in meaningful ways across the field on all three units. 

It has nothing to do with being a player away. It’s about getting the guy you want, which you have the flexibility to do while still having multiple Day 2 picks even after crushing the draft by adding three first round talents last year.

This “one player away” narrative is total nonsense.

It may no be one-player-away thinking, but it IS forcing a trade for need. The blue chip prospects drop off after out pick (Assuming 1-2 non Burrow QB's go, which is certain IMO). We don't need to burn assets to move up when we are guaranteed a elite or near elite talent by staying put, all of which fit positional need (Including he DL guys, Harris is a rental and Walker is a sub package guy). 

Having a wealth of assets doesn't mean you should sacrifice those assets unnecessarily. 

• Like 1

Just now, BroncosFan2010 said:

It may no be one-player-away thinking, but it IS forcing a trade for need. The blue chip prospects drop off after out pick (Assuming 1-2 non Burrow QB's go, which is certain IMO). We don't need to burn assets to move up when we are guaranteed a elite or near elite talent by staying put, all of which fit positional need (Including he DL guys, Harris is a rental and Walker is a sub package guy). 

Having a wealth of assets doesn't mean you should sacrifice those assets unnecessarily. 

Those assets aren’t nearly as valuable as you’re making them out to be. That’s Royce Freeman. Isaac Yiadom. Carlos Henderson. Like damn near every year, we’re going to have one or two UDFAs make a bigger impact than most of our Day 3 picks and probably one of the 3rds. They don’t need 10 picks every year to build a competitive football team. Players come from everywhere. Screw settling, get your guy. 

Just now, AKRNA said:

So, I'm no expert evaluator, especially WR's, but watching Lamb reminds me a lot (a whole lot!) of Jerry Rice. The similarities are remarkable.

He is such a smooth mover in the open field. And guys just can’t get him on the ground. It’s not like he’s a 230+ pound tank, defenders just seem to slide off him.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Those assets aren’t nearly as valuable as you’re making them out to be. That’s Royce Freeman. Isaac Yiadom. Carlos Henderson. Like damn near every year, we’re going to have one or two UDFAs make a bigger impact than most of our Day 3 picks and probably one of the 3rds. They don’t need 10 picks every year to build a competitive football team. Players come from everywhere. Screw settling, get your guy. 

This is a tremendous point. Frankly, the best place to mine for contributors is in Round 4-7. That's where your scouts show their value. Obviously it pops up in Rounds 1-3 as well, but we're acting like every Round 1-3 player drafted is an automatic set it and forget it, high floor guy. They aren't. If Ruggs, or Jeudy, or Lamb are key pieces to our offense, go get them. 

Now, there's a different argument about giving up the farm in a trade. That is where being a good negotiator comes in.

It's probably all moot though. I am thinking we'll probably trade down.

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

This is a tremendous point. Frankly, the best place to mine for contributors is in Round 4-7. That's where your scouts show their value. Obviously it pops up in Rounds 1-3 as well, but we're acting like every Round 1-3 player drafted is an automatic set it and forget it, high floor guy. They aren't. If Ruggs, or Jeudy, or Lamb are key pieces to our offense, go get them. 

Now, there's a different argument about giving up the farm in a trade. That is where being a good negotiator comes in.

It's probably all moot though. I am thinking we'll probably trade down.

Yup, it’s not like there’s no cost that’s too high. 46 for me is too high, that could be a first round talent. But one of your three 3rds? No biggie.

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think so at all. You have SF, OAK, NYJ ahead of us who all need WR desperately. 

I’m hearing CeeDee Lamb for the Raiders but Jets are apparently leaning towards grabbing a tackle at 11 and then waiting for a WR in round 2. The 49ers will almost certainly trade down, they don’t have any picks in rounds 2, 3 or 4. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The flip side though is those assets could have easily been Chris Godwin/Kenny Golladay (2017), or a Mark Andrews or Nathan Sheperd / Derek Nnadi (2018).    If it's the difference-maker with a drop-off in overall talent if you wait, then yeah, I get it.   But pointing to Elway's Day 2 troubles (finally improving) also devalues the picks.   Guys like Dremont Jones & Justin Simmons are guys who we'd regret not having, too.  It's not an absolute - it's really whether the price is worth the jump in talent.  The alternative you are left with factors in a ton.  If we're not left with a WR/T/Kinlaw, then yeah, I get it.   How the first 10 picks go really changes the equation of how the calculus works there.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Yup, it’s not like there’s no cost that’s too high. 46 for me is too high, that could be a first round talent. But one of your three 3rds? No biggie.

For me, if a third rounder is the difference between getting one of the three WRs and not, then I’m all for it, but if we expect one to be there at 15 I’d rather stay put. We can find a real impact player in the third round (I actually want us to draft two wide receivers so would be hoping to nab a second one in the third round along with a center and a safety) 

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He is such a smooth mover in the open field. And guys just can’t get him on the ground. It’s not like he’s a 230+ pound tank, defenders just seem to slide off him.

Strong hands, he'll win the contested catch battle. Great feel for the game, finding soft spots in a zone, toss in his ability with the ball in his hands and he and Rice look like twins. Rice had a terrible 40 time but I never remember him getting caught from behind. 

Lamb in a Bronco's jersey would be pretty exciting. 

Give Shurmer the tools he needs and let them develop and learn the offense. By the end of 2020 and all of 2021 that could be a scary offense.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

Strong hands, he'll win the contested catch battle. Great feel for the game, finding soft spots in a zone, toss in his ability with the ball in his hands and he and Rice look like twins. Rice had a terrible 40 time but I never remember him getting caught from behind. 

Lamb in a Bronco's jersey would be pretty exciting. 

Give Shurmer the tools he needs and let them develop and learn the offense. By the end of 2020 and all of 2021 that could be a scary offense.

That’s a great point about Lamb. He may not have track speed but I didn’t see a lot of defenders chase him down. And this season in particular, he was simply too good to be on the field against college players. Defenses couldn’t do anything to stop him. I knew how great of a contested catch and possession guy he was prior to this year but he looked so much more explosive than I expected.