2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The flip side though is those assets could have easily been Chris Godwin/Kenny Golladay (2017), or a Mark Andrews or Nathan Sheperd / Derek Nnadi (2018).    If it's the difference-maker with a drop-off in overall talent if you wait, then yeah, I get it.   But pointing to Elway's Day 2 troubles (finally improving) also devalues the picks.   Guys like Dremont Jones & Justin Simmons are guys who we'd regret not having, too.  It's not an absolute - it's really whether the price is worth the jump in talent.  The alternative you are left with factors in a ton.  If we're not left with a WR/T/Kinlaw, then yeah, I get it.   How the first 10 picks go really changes the equation of how the calculus works there.

If even one of your three 3rd round picks turns out to be a good player, statistically you have beaten the odds. The Broncos’ scouting department is very good (UDFA streak is ALL them) and always have been. They’re going to find guys. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

13 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I’m hearing CeeDee Lamb for the Raiders but Jets are apparently leaning towards grabbing a tackle at 11 and then waiting for a WR in round 2. The 49ers will almost certainly trade down, they don’t have any picks in rounds 2, 3 or 4. 

They also have pick 31 that they can use for more picks.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Michael Thomas in 2016 , better than ANY of the top 3 this year

He wasn’t rated this highly as a prospect though. He hit his 100% ceiling (or damn close to it), but in terms of their likely career outcomes, I’d put these three above Thomas. (Even though I was absolutely the highest on Thomas of anyone I knew of. I had him in the top 20 that year, and told my Vikes fan friends that oh dang were they gonna regret taking Treadwell over him. I was also the high guy on Ramzcyk. The Saints should have me on their payroll.)

I will be a bit pissed if we trade up for a WR

We need depth - and a lot of it - we have a chance to give the roster proper depth by sticking where we are in R1 and taking the BPA - do the same in R2 - and with the 3 picks in R3 you could do a little juggling depending on the board. But I want to see 5 solid players who are dependable, good character, hard working, team leaders, with a brain, coming out of the first 3 rounds. If we do that the roster will make a big leap forward and we will be in a position to challenge in 2021 (assuming Lock is the real deal).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

We need depth - and a lot of it - we have a chance to give the roster proper depth by sticking where we are in R1 and taking the BPA - do the same in R2 - and with the 3 picks in R3 you could do a little juggling depending on the board. But I want to see 5 solid players who are dependable, good character, hard working, team leaders, with a brain, coming out of the first 3 rounds. If we do that the roster will make a big leap forward and we will be in a position to challenge in 2021 (assuming Lock is the real deal).

Having one more player with a 30% chance of panning out is not going to move the needle. Ensuring you get difference makers will. “Depth” really isn’t hard to find, and sometimes what we perceive as good depth is just a product of good coaching. Difference makers are what count.

Edited by BroncoBruin

5 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

So, the odds of that happening are about 8%.

First rd is about 90%, 2nd is about 75%, third drops below 50% and it's rapidly downhill from there. 

If we were able to package a 3rd and first to get Lamb I'd be ecstatic.

Good example of the “depth” thing: Last year, the defense was ravaged by injuries and started a lot of no-name players toward the end, yet they still finished a top 10 defense. So, was the defense deep with talent to withstand the injuries or are Fangio and Donatell good coaches who can get the most out of players who offer the bare minimum?

I wonder how much more, if any, future draft picks will be devalued this year as a result of the virus hysteria. We might have a shortened college season or not even have one at all if worse comes to worse, could that make GMs more hesitant to value a pick in 2021 as less than the otherwise would? 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wonder how much more, if any, future draft picks will be devalued this year as a result of the virus hysteria. We might have a shortened college season or not even have one at all if worse comes to worse, could that make GMs more hesitant to value a pick in 2021 as less than the otherwise would? 

Those of us who live in NY can assure you it is not hysteria....

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

And here's to you
Mr Robertson
PFF loves you more than you will know
Woah woah woah
Denver draft you please
Mr Robertson
Denver holds a place for those who can play
Hey hey hey, hey hey hey

This kid is going to be so freaking good. Wouldn't be surprised in the least for him to be the best CB to come out of this draft class. Again, his height is literally the only thing he does not have. Absolutley every other box is checked. The link is only coverage, not even taking into account his mean run support and elite post INT abilities. 

Dude is a freak. He can, and will, be a full service inside / outside CB at the next level. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wondering the same.  I received an email today and I work in the school system saying that they’re currently being advised to postpone large gatherings until 2021 and then revisit.  I know at least for my dynasty league I’m selling all of my 2021 picks for 2020 picks.

As far as the WRs go.  I am fine moving up for any of the top 3.  I have them ranked Lamb (6) Jeudy (7) and Ruggs (9).  So all close enough to be ranked anyway.  Lamb/Jeudy are just more well rounded and I think more important to a team like the Jets and Raiders.  But for Denver it would be hard for me to pass up Ruggs even in a trade up.  His speed and speed and skill set are just such a nice compliment that fit this team.

As far as depth goes I don’t disagree, but I’m betting Vic and co think they can really coach up the defensive side of the ball + Chubb coming back.

On offense we have

QB: Lock

RB: Gordon/Lindsay

WR1: Sutton

WR2: ??

TE1: Fant

OT:  Bolles & James

IOL: Risner, Glasgow and ??

The real upgradeable spots this year are WR2 and then OL depth, so I can see how Elway thinks trading up is a good idea, especially if Vic is In his ear about his ability to coach up the defensive side of the ball