2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I fully get that with Fromm.  He’s a risk because of his lack of any good physical trait.  However, he seems like a guy that just gets it.  He’s tough, accurate, makes throws that few college QBs do in terms of anticipation and understanding where the ball needs to be placed.  He has exceptional touch, as well as being ultra competitive.

I doubt Elway would ever draft him.  He’s the opposite of what Elway does, but man I think there is something to be said about “getting it” is the only way I can think of phrasing it.  Aside from athleticism, I don’t think there is much separating Tua from Fromm and currently Tua seems to be a lock for the top 5.

I think guys like Fromm magnify the issue that nobody really knows how to evaluate these quarterbacks. If the scouts can't see something obvious on tape that will be a physical asset against NFL athletes, what do you do? It's so mental and how much can you ever really know about the guy you're hiring and what he's going to be made of when you put in all on him? Now, guys like Paxton Lynch it should be obvious don't have the stuff. And I think Kubiak knew that but Elway was enamored. 

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What's he play linebacker safety a hybrid.? What makes him stand out?

He plays linebacker as well as an overhang safety role where they use him to attack the screen game, blitz and clean up any runs that get outside. With less space for the offense in the NFL there won't be as much need for this role but it does show off some of his best traits. His range in coverage and closing speed are incredible. Matches up with WRs and can stay with them. Looks stronger and more physical this year. Coaches need to figure out where he fits best full time. 

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Looks stronger and more physical this year. Coaches need to figure out where he fits best full time. 

That definitely sounds interesting I'm definitely intrigued. 21 6'4 230 pound frame. It seems like he may still be growing into his frame as well. Seems like a moldable player seeing that we went after Hollins I could totally see interest.

How far up boards do you see him going?

Edited by thebestever6

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

That definitely sounds interesting I'm definitely intrigued. 21 6'4 230 pound frame. It seems like he may still be growing into his frame as well. Seems like a moldable player seeing that we went after Hollins I could totally see interest.

How far up boards do you see him going?

I think if the NFL likes him through the interview process and he lights up the Combine as he should, around the 8-12 range is where he comes into play, and probably no later than the late teens. One of those "no ceiling" guys but you need a plan for him. 

32 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think guys like Fromm magnify the issue that nobody really knows how to evaluate these quarterbacks. If the scouts can't see something obvious on tape that will be a physical asset against NFL athletes, what do you do? It's so mental and how much can you ever really know about the guy you're hiring and what he's going to be made of when you put in all on him? Now, guys like Paxton Lynch it should be obvious don't have the stuff. And I think Kubiak knew that but Elway was enamored. 

Completely agree.  It’s a crapshoot, especially at that position.  I think Fromm is a great example of this.  I think he’s fully capable of being a franchise caliber QB, but could also see him being comparable to Trevor Siemian.  

The guys that are elite, however, all are quick processors and have accuracy, touch, and anticipation.  I think to an extent this can be compensated for with excellent talent (Cam Newton) but the elites just have a feel that I really don’t think is coachable.  How you identify that, I haven no idea.  Fromm to me seems to have it, so does Tua (but where Tua is projected to be drafted compared to Fromm is what scares me). Herbert, Eason, the guy getting hyped out of Utah State, they’re your physical gift guys.  Burrows is intriguing though, I watched some of the game vs Texas and he made some ridiculous plays out of intuition.

Other than Brandon Weedon, Tim Tebow, Paxton Lynch(didn't mind the pick until I heard him speak at the bowling alley), John Beck, Pat White it really hasn't shocked me where guys went QB wise. Daniel Jones didn't shock me going in the first round debating on which of NYG's picks is fair.

Fromm in my mind has solidified him self as back half of the first top of the second QB. Based on interviews and what he does on the white board I could totally see a needy team falling in love with him.

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Fromm to me seems to have it, so does Tua (but where Tua is projected to be drafted compared to Fromm is what scares me).

Do you see a Drew Brees prospect type effect with him? At his size you're going to need to prioritize guard and center.

Edited by thebestever6

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

We got 5'9" guys going #1 now. 6'0" is the new 6'4". 

I'm not saying he's going to plummet I'm just saying with no elite physical traits maybe he gets overshadowed a bit paired with the fact that he has a trevor Siemian type build and you're gonna need to have a very good oline in place almost rules him out of the top 10-15 almost by default.

Kyler Murray I don't think compares or Baker.

Edited by thebestever6

28 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

We got 5'9" guys going #1 now. 6'0" is the new 6'4". 

Agreed.  We’ll see what Fromm ends up getting listed at come draft time, but Georgia has him at 6’2” 220.  Usually teams college sizes over compensate a bit, but if he’s around that, his size won’t be an issue.  The bigger issue will be his arm talent and athleticism.

32 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm not saying he's going to plummet I'm just saying with no elite physical traits maybe he gets overshadowed a bit paired with the fact that he has a trevor Siemian type build and you're gonna need to have a very good oline in place almost rules him out of the top 10-15 almost by default.

Kyler Murray I don't think compares or Baker.

Don’t disagree with this either, which is why I think this team needs to make a stronger commitment to the OL.  We can’t be sending out a young QB with a guy like Bolles at LT.  It’s a recipe for disaster....and this is a strong flip of perspective for me.  Not that I think every year and offseason needs to be dedicated to the OL, but this team is in so much desperation at the position that a commitment to keep them safe needs to be made.  Risner looks excellent, James if he can stay healthy at RT will be very solid.  Leary is gone after this year and Bolles needs to either make a massive jump or be replaced.  IMO, Denver needs to make 2 big moves in either FA or the draft to solidify this OL for the next 3-5 years and give a QB a chance.

• Like 2

Yeah Simmons has the skills to be a good one. Would definitely help fill a big need covering RB’s and TE in the middle of the D. He needs some space eaters for keep blocks off him though as his block shedding he is still working on. This is the type of player I am usually not high on but ends up being a better pro (I’ve missed on these type of LBers a lot in my scouting because I like my backers to be able to shift through the trash and not miss tackles but a lot of them improve on this in the nfl or fit a scheme that helps them there so I’m going to give Simmons a chance) Zach Cunningham was a similar prospect. Although Simmons is more athletic. 

7 hours ago, Counselor said:

Yeah Simmons has the skills to be a good one. Would definitely help fill a big need covering RB’s and TE in the middle of the D. He needs some space eaters for keep blocks off him though as his block shedding he is still working on. This is the type of player I am usually not high on but ends up being a better pro (I’ve missed on these type of LBers a lot in my scouting because I like my backers to be able to shift through the trash and not miss tackles but a lot of them improve on this in the nfl or fit a scheme that helps them there so I’m going to give Simmons a chance) Zach Cunningham was a similar prospect. Although Simmons is more athletic. 

Yeah and it's hard to project what you see on tape when he plays a hybrid position you don't see a lot in the NFL You just see the athletic gifts and the way he sees the field and it's pretty special. It's going to be helpful seeing him play more linebacker than overhang this year. Definitely doesn't look like a LB with that long, lanky frame rather than stout and box-y. Maybe he's a guy who doesn't give you much in the box but can make enough splash plays (A-gap blitzes, blowing up screens, PDs) to be a plus player. 

• Like 1