2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

On 2/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, germ-x said:

I need to watch to form my own opinions on a lot of these guys, but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a draft with so much variations in their projections than this season.

Just another example.  PFF, which gets a ton of respect and Daniel Jeremiah who does as well, have Cesar Ruiz (OC out of Michigan) graded as if they watched 2 different players.  PFF has Ruiz as their 9th rated IOL and 94th player overall.  PFF mentions his athleticism being a plus for a player his size, but that he needs to add strength.  Jeremiah has Ruiz at #34 overall  saying his lower body is “outrageously” strong, but that he lacks foot quickness.

Again, haven’t watched him play, but 2 reputable sources have 2 very different takes/rankings on Ruiz. It isn’t just Ruiz either, it’s all over the place on a lot of these players.  A part of me thinks it’s because it’s that deep people just have different opinions/bias that come into play and a part of me thinks maybe this draft just isn’t as deep/talented as being talked about.

Honestly, and I am not an expert, but I don't think this draft is especially deep. I think at maybe the WR position it is, but outside of that, it's kind of weak. I think through Round 2 there's a lot of value to be had, but fewer potential contributors later on relative to what we are used to.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Honestly, and I am not an expert, but I don't think this draft is especially deep. I think at maybe the WR position it is, but outside of that, it's kind of weak. I think through Round 2 there's a lot of value to be had, but fewer potential contributors later on relative to what we are used to.

I would have to agree with this, especially given how many underclassmen that were expected to declare went back to school

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Impact WR, OL (developmental T esp) and RB are deeper than most years you a fair amount.   WR & RB are striking in their depth.    

But the higher level CB class is really thin - and so is the 3-down ILB group.  Same with the D trench and EDGE depth.  It’s really a draft to just hit the best O impact talent early on.    We definitely should delve into RB Rd 3-4 (nothing against Lindsay but we can mine a normal top 5 RB talent that normally goes mid/late Rd2 in Rd 3-4).  

But it’s unlikely we get our biggest D needs met with depth the same way we could project in 2018-9.   The Dremont Jones / Malik Reed UDFA scenarios on D seem less likely this year.   Mining the talent depth on O is our best bet to max out draft value.  

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think it always made sense to hit offense heavily in this draft. Give Lock his full set of weapons now and build OL depth with future starting potential.  Spend on defense in free agency. 

He will need it with Mahomes in the div. But I think our defense can get over on him. 

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

It seems the draftnick community is cooling on Andrew Thomas (seeing him now going mid teens, possibly available for the broncos) any  idea why? Did I miss some revelation? 

It’s just nitpicking. These analysts get bored. They all want to be the first on someone (Look at the jumping all over Blacklock at DT for an example and now Becton at OT) and Thomas has been the top Tackle in the class since last year so he has been over studied to the point they are just looking for flaws. He might not be the athlete of some other guys but he is still good for the position. He is technical. He can struggle with speed at times but his hand placement is great. I think some see more Dbrick Ferguson in him than a Tyron Smith. I’d love him to fall to 15. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 11:33 AM, Cutler06 said:

I would have to agree with this, especially given how many underclassmen that were expected to declare went back to school

If the draft didn't have much depth or talent why would more guys choose to stay in school?  Would it not be better to come out in a year where the talent pool is less for their own draft stock?  Just curious what you meant by your statement?

On 2/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, Broncofan said:

Impact WR, OL (developmental T esp) and RB are deeper than most years you a fair amount.   WR & RB are striking in their depth.    

But the higher level CB class is really thin - and so is the 3-down ILB group.  Same with the D trench and EDGE depth.  It’s really a draft to just hit the best O impact talent early on.    We definitely should delve into RB Rd 3-4 (nothing against Lindsay but we can mine a normal top 5 RB talent that normally goes mid/late Rd2 in Rd 3-4).  

But it’s unlikely we get our biggest D needs met with depth the same way we could project in 2018-9.   The Dremont Jones / Malik Reed UDFA scenarios on D seem less likely this year.   Mining the talent depth on O is our best bet to max out draft value.  

Yes I’d like to see us pull out two WR from this class, at least 2 OLine, 1 RB that’s already 5 picks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IronJ said:

If the draft didn't have much depth or talent why would more guys choose to stay in school?  Would it not be better to come out in a year where the talent pool is less for their own draft stock?  Just curious what you meant by your statement?

The 3 RB's who decided to stay (Etienne, Hubbard & Harris) all were playing on champ contenders (Etienne, Harris) or thought they could be the top RB next year (Hubbard, Etienne).    In the case of Alex Leatherwood (OT) & Devonta Smith (WR), a really top end class and returning to 'Bama for one more chance at the ring, and same for Dylan Moses at ILB, who probably had the highest rank at his position, but Saban convinced to go for 1 more shot with a bunch of returning guys, even with Tua declaring.   Moses was probably the only guy who could have made a case to be a clear top 2 guy at his position (Simmons cemented his 1 spot).    

Here's the list of guys who returned (bottom section) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-declaration-roundup-official-list-of-eligible-early-entrants-announced/

When you look at that list, the CB/ILB/EDGE's who stayed for the most part didn't get a high draft grade.   If the Advisory Board doesn't give you a Day 2 grade, then staying makes sense.   Otherwise, the list of returning guys who might have had a high grade (even Day 2) were in a loaded positional class, at least at the top-end.    The high # of T, WR & RB's who returned who are recognizable really speaks to this.  And that of course leaves out the non-$ reasons to stay, which are fine so long as players realize the financial loss risk that comes with staying a year longer, especially if they get a Day 2 grade from a conservative Advisory Board (Day 3, the risk is way lower).

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The 3 RB's who decided to stay (Etienne, Hubbard & Harris) all were playing on champ contenders (Etienne, Harris) or thought they could be the top RB next year (Hubbard, Etienne).    In the case of Alex Leatherwood (OT) & Devonta Smith (WR), a really top end class and returning to 'Bama for one more chance at the ring, and same for Dylan Moses at ILB, who probably had the highest rank at his position, but Saban convinced to go for 1 more shot with a bunch of returning guys, even with Tua declaring.   Moses was probably the only guy who could have made a case to be a clear top 2 guy at his position (Simmons cemented his 1 spot).    

Here's the list of guys who returned (bottom section) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-declaration-roundup-official-list-of-eligible-early-entrants-announced/

When you look at that list, the CB/ILB/EDGE's who stayed for the most part didn't get a high draft grade.   If the Advisory Board doesn't give you a Day 2 grade, then staying makes sense.   Otherwise, the list of returning guys who might have had a high grade (even Day 2) were in a loaded positional class, at least at the top-end.    The high # of T, WR & RB's who returned who are recognizable really speaks to this.  And that of course leaves out the non-$ reasons to stay, which are fine so long as players realize the financial loss risk that comes with staying a year longer, especially if they get a Day 2 grade from a conservative Advisory Board (Day 3, the risk is way lower).

Appreciate the reply and it makes sense to me..At least the running backs but Dylan Moses going back is odd to me, he gets hurt in college and still has a chance to be a 1st-2nd round pick.  I agree this draft has some rally good Wr/Rb but overall probably lacks some depth especially on D.

In a perfect world, I’d love to fill our big DL holes in FA: DL, MLB, CB.  Then use the draft to load up on offensive weapons.  Hopefully one of the top 3 WR in Rd 1, the center from LSU in 2 (move McGregor to RG, or go with one our  developmental guys), then grab a developmental tackle, a RB, and. CB in 3, and another WR in 4.  In a perfect world. 

34 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

In a perfect world, I’d love to fill our big DL holes in FA: DL, MLB, CB.  Then use the draft to load up on offensive weapons.  Hopefully one of the top 3 WR in Rd 1, the center from LSU in 2 (move McGregor to RG, or go with one our  developmental guys), then grab a developmental tackle, a RB, and. CB in 3, and another WR in 4.  In a perfect world. 

I like the priorities in the draft. IOL is really thin for us and an impact WR would be a great move. Give Shurmer a full compliment of good ballplayers to implement his system.

I'm curious what they do with McGregor. Re-sign him, let him test FA, I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me to see Schlottman at center. 

On 2/4/2020 at 4:48 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

It seems the draftnick community is cooling on Andrew Thomas (seeing him now going mid teens, possibly available for the broncos) any  idea why? Did I miss some revelation? 

I don't know. If he's around at our spot though we should take him. Right off the bat you can pencil him in as your RG and backup OT. 

He looks a bit to me like a guy that can play outside and do okay but at RG could be an All-Pro. 

Both a high floor and high ceiling and day 1 starter. What more can you ask for?

• Like 2