2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Bradley Chubb as an interior defensive lineman? I don't see it. At all. He's an EDGE. 

I think he’s fine as a 3/4 DE who can kick inside on passing downs.  He has the length, strength, and size.  I think he fits that profile far better than standing up and dropping into coverage and chasing RBs.

Edited by germ-x

40 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Look what moving a player to different positions did for DeMarcus Walker, very questionable returns

If it fails move him back.  It wouldn’t fail though.  He’s too good a player.  Even out of position at OLB he’s a quality player.

4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

If it fails move him back.  It wouldn’t fail though.  He’s too good a player.  Even out of position at OLB he’s a quality player.

But that'd be another lost season for Chubb if it fails and we'd still have to fill the DE position. It would also over-position the Edge position, have to move one of Claisson, Chubb or Von to the 2nd unit. However, it would fill Von's spot as he does seem in decline. 

As much as I like your optimism, it still is just speculation he will/won't fail in your scenario, another question mark we don't need IMO. I do like your thinking-out-of-the-box though

29 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

But that'd be another lost season for Chubb if it fails and we'd still have to fill the DE position. It would also over-position the Edge position, have to move one of Claisson, Chubb or Von to the 2nd unit. However, it would fill Von's spot as he does seem in decline. 

As much as I like your optimism, it still is just speculation he will/won't fail in your scenario, another question mark we don't need IMO. I do like your thinking-out-of-the-box though

I guess I don’t see the risk in it as others.  I think he should be moved there, regardless of being able to get Chaisson or any other OLB. Attaochu, Reed, Hollins proved capable enough last season.  

Further, it isn’t as cut and dry as a base 3/4 all the time.  Moving Chubb to DE doesn’t mean he can never rush off the edge, Denver could get pretty creative.  

We’ll see if it happens.  Denver doesn’t lose either way, IMO.  Like I said Chubb’s too good a player with top notch effort to find success across the front 7.

• Like 1

Interesting speculation on Chubb. Just a few things to throw into the mix.

He's really young, 23. He hasn't even grown into his body yet. He's a very lean, fast 275 pound guy. Unbelievable agility for a guy his size. It's easier for me to imagine him as a nightmare 295 lb DE than it is to see him as an "edge" player. 250lb Edge rushers are a dime a dozen anymore. Guys like Chubb aren't. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, germ-x said:

I think his physical tools/character/motor are that of a top 10 pick.  However, his production is very concerning.  Is he just raw and needing coached up or is there some other flaw that’s preventing him from consistently dominating?  

Have to say though, the 1st step, explosiveness, and bend that I’ve seen (and I haven’t watched much of him, so I could’ve missed some glaring deficiencies) to go along with what I’ve read with his character makes him a guy I would gamble on needing some coaching in technique to be elite.

So I've only watched 2 games where I tried to pay special attention to Chaisson.  He seems to take awhile to react to plays, like hes hesitant.  When he does make up his mind hes very fast and explosive, but he seems like rather than reacting he's thinking too much.  He also jumped off sides(I can't remember the exact situation) but it kind of raised a flag in my head.  Now this isn't me scouting him, its just watching the game and looking for players who stand out, and I can't say he "wowed" me.  You can see his athleticism but I wasn't in awe of his game.  Im guessing he blows the combine up and that will make him get drafted high and he very well could be a Pro Bowl player but I haven't seen it just yet from watching him. 

I think that Delpit has to be on the radar. The FO and scheme in general really values versatile defensive backs and he fits the bill of Kareem Jackson's heir to a T. In the meantime he could be used as a CB, roving S, traditional S and WLB in certain packages. On talent he is top 10 but for whatever reason many mocks have him falling. Should this FO continue to operate on the BPA philosophy, I have a hard time not seeing him as that guy at 1.15. Some mocks even have him late R1. A trade down while picking up Diggs and taking Delpit would be an absolute home run. (I think I just gave away my next mock)

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

Delpit is extremely athletic but has had tackling problems, probably why he is dropping so fast. If we're going with a safety, I'd rather go Kyle Dugger in the 2nd/3rd

Dugger is a phenomenal prospect. I too would prefer that route. While Delpit is high on talent, and I would likely take him as BPA if we traded down, I dont think the FO will take a guy who is a bad tackler. Thats a trait that seems to be prioritized in our secondary. 

Dugger may be the best athlete in the draft. He has wild versatility and is reportedly a excellent leader and locker room guy. Our starting safeties are rock solid, but our depth is zero and Jackson is getting older. Dugger projects as an ideal replacement. Even if the learning curve is a full year, he can impact as a returner and gunner right away. He seems like the type of kid that will do anything he is asked to help the team. 

Browns OT Greg Robinson just got busted for weed, perhaps with intent to distribute (?) . Looks like we'll have to trade up with Jacksonville if we really want to get one of Thomas/Wills/Wirfs.

I  dont think OT will be prioritized at all. Elway wont give up on Bolles so soon (His public comments were not a sign of buyers remorese but an attempt at motivating Bolles IMO) and James is owed tons of GT$. OT will be a mid round value pick if we go that direction IMO, for better or worse. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

While the Combine isn't the end-all and be-all by itself, its effect on draft stock is undeniable.

From today's drills, a few observations:

-Jeudy & Lamb held serve, Lamb's 40 time was actually a little lower than expected, and he looked amazing in drills.   

-Ruggs got the sub-4.3 time, so his stock remains intact.   He had to ice his hammys after the 40, though, so he couldn't do the 3-cone or shuttle.   His vert & broad were insane, so the label of the #3 WR in this group is pretty much a lock.

-Shenault ran a disappointing 40...then sat out the rest of the drills.  That's going to make his stock tumble hard, unless his Pro Day is just a monster-fest showing.   When you add in the injury history, it wouldn't shock me to see him fall out of the top 5 WR group at all.

-Reagor did great in the burst/explosion drills, with a great vert / broad, but his 40 time, while really good, wasn't even close to top 3 speed.  Again, 40 time is overblown, but that's a huge part of Reagor's appeal.  It wouldn't shock me to see him be there at Rd2 when we draft...and even maybe Rd3, especially given the insane depth this class has.

-3 guys who absolutely made millions tonight were Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims & Justin Jefferson.   They all have college production, but there were questions on their athletic ceiling - and they showed special tools.   Again, I would easily take Jeudy/Lamb as the top guys, don't get me wrong - but the Rd2-3 tier of value is going to be insane.

-TE-wise, we won't go early, but 2 guys who made millions were Claypool (bulked up to 238, 80' wingspan, and then a 4.42 40 wow) and Adam Troutman, who posted an insane 6.78 3-cone - 2nd amongst ALL RECEIVERS....let alone TE.   Neither guy I think is going until Day 2, but they moved way up the board as a result.

This WR class is just insane.  I didn't even include guys like Duvernay & Peoples-Jones, who posted solid numbers to help their case for what they do best - and guys who sat out (Lynn Bowden was really disappointing to not see him, Higgins probably made a smart move to sit this out, and get ready for his Pro Day).

Higgins & Shenault really need to impress at their Pro Day, to keep their spots in the convo for the 5-10 tier.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3