2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yeah.  ARI, NYJ, LV, and OAK are all teams ahead of Denver with a WR need.  Ruggs 4.27 might be enough to entice a team without a glaring need as well, IMO.

Either way, I think an elite WR or elite OT is there at #15 and both are needs.  

Yeah, the only T I worry about out of the top tier 4 guys is Becton, just because his pass pro technique is so far behind.   In the NFL, that's a huge risk.  But the athletic display he put on, and his ceiling with that size/speed combo, it might very well put him ahead of a couple of the other 3 T's.   I'd be totally fine with that.   

As much as I think of Munchak's ability to get max level play from "average" college/UFA talent, it's not like he took 5 anonymous Joes and turned it into a top 5 unit, either.     Even Dante Scarneccia's OL in NE usually had 2 foundation pieces, and then they filled in 2-3 guys with cheaper / lower draft capital talent.   The only foundation piece we can count on short & long-term is Risner.   Getting a 2nd foundational piece, even with Munchak in the fold, especially if it's a guy arguably at the top of the overall BPA ranks, it's icing on the cake. 

ARI picking at 8 kinda sets up the domino effect IMO.   OT is their huge need area IMO, they have 1 functional guy.   Kingsbury loves his WR's though.   I'd be floored if ARI wasn't going in that direction (WR or OL) - and who they choose likely makes it more likely we will be left with the other position.   

Edited by Broncofan

I’m actually hoping that Kinlaw falls, although I doubt it.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go ahead of Brown now. 

as long as 3 QB’s go ahead of us, which looks all but certain now (and maybe 4??), we’ll have a Premium player available at 15; 1 of the 4 OT, 1 of the 3 WR, or 1 of the 2 DL.  I believe Young, Simmons, and Okudah are all locks to go in the top 10, no matter what, and will be out of reach.

I’d be thrilled with any of them.  But there’s good developmental OT’s available later.  There’s a ton of really good WR, but Kinlaw could be a unique talent.  🤞 

• Like 4

On 3/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, broncofan48 said:

Since Simmons and Wirfs aren’t going to be there I now have my heart set on 1 of the 3 WRS and Thomas 

Agreed. I can be talked into any of the top 3 WRs at 15. They bring different things, but they’re all going to be really dynamic in space and immediately make the offense better. The way Ruggs can turn any manufactured touch into a TD is very appealing to me. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, Broncofan said:

Yeah, the only T I worry about out of the top tier 4 guys is Becton, just because his pass pro technique is so far behind.   In the NFL, that's a huge risk.  But the athletic display he put on, and his ceiling with that size/speed combo, it might very well put him ahead of a couple of the other 3 T's.   I'd be totally fine with that.   

As much as I think of Munchak's ability to get max level play from "average" college/UFA talent, it's not like he took 5 anonymous Joes and turned it into a top 5 unit, either.     Even Dante Scarneccia's OL in NE usually had 2 foundation pieces, and then they filled in 2-3 guys with cheaper / lower draft capital talent.   The only foundation piece we can count on short & long-term is Risner.   Getting a 2nd foundational piece, even with Munchak in the fold, especially if it's a guy arguably at the top of the overall BPA ranks, it's icing on the cake.   

Isn’t that Bolles though? Bolles was drafted because his physical skills/raw athleticism were top-tier. And even critics of the pick, harsh critics, like you and me, conceded he had a very good if not elite physical makeup.

The problem was, is, and always has been, that he’s a freak athlete who can’t keep his head straight. He can’t learn the nuances and he loses his s*** when he gets beat. That was the case at Utah (where Matt “pour me another drink“ Russell prefers guys from the pac-12) and it’s been the case here. 

I try to tell people all over who think Bolles is a total scrub - because no one understands OL play and I’m by NO means an expert - but that he’s not a turnstile, it’s not that he doesn’t play well, even very well, and for long stretches, but he’s just a meathead. The guy can block, he has all the raw physical skills you can ask for but he just doesn’t have it between the ears and far, far too many people don’t understand the OL is a VERY cerebral position.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Isn’t that Bolles though? Bolles was drafted because his physical skills/raw athleticism were top-tier. And even critics of the pick, harsh critics, like you and me, conceded he had a very good if not elite physical makeup.

The problem was, is, and always has been, that he’s a freak athlete who can’t keep his head straight. He can’t learn the nuances and he loses his s*** when he gets beat. That was the case at Utah (where Matt “pour me another drink“ Russell prefers guys from the pac-12) and it’s been the case here. 

I try to tell people all over who think Bolles is a total scrub - because no one understands OL play and I’m by NO means an expert - but that he’s not a turnstile, it’s not that he doesn’t play well, even very well, and for long stretches, but he’s just a meathead. The guy can block, he has all the raw physical skills you can ask for but he just doesn’t have it between the ears and far, far too many people don’t understand the OL is a VERY cerebral position.

Well that’s the issue with gifted tools players.   They succeed vs. lesser competition because their tools mask their lack of technique.    It’s why I prefer the other 3 T’s - they have NFL caliber tools but way more advanced pass pro technique too.  That’s the hardest to learn. 

You want NFL caliber tools because technique goes only so far if you don’t have the tools.    But the ideal for a Rd1 pick is the guy who has both.   A Rd 3-4 or later T - by all means go tools & ceiling, because the bust rate is so high once you are that late for T, you might as well go for the home run.   

Edited by Broncofan

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Matt Russell nickname will never get old. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Winder23 said:

Man the Ruggs hype in the Denver media market is palpable. History says WR picks in the first round are often disappointing. The lack of productivity on the college level is a concern. What is the big draw other than the speed? 

Route running, good body control and hands, and he's a tenacious blocker. He's a complete receiver and anyone claiming that he's only a speedster hasn't done any research. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Route running, good body control and hands, and he's a tenacious blocker. He's a complete receiver and anyone claiming that he's only a speedster hasn't done any research. 

I literally have only seen him play twice. Haven’t watched cut ups or anything other than the clip of him chase down an interception. So I am that guy who hasn’t done any research.  Thanks for the info as I plan to get into the draft a little more. I am often skeptical of so much hype

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Winder23 said:

I literally have only seen him play twice. Haven’t watched cut ups or anything other than the clip of him chase down an interception. So I am that guy who hasn’t done any research.  Thanks for the info as I plan to get into the draft a little more. I am often skeptical of so much hype

it's always going to be hype around a dynamic playmaker on offense. he'd be a really fun draft pick to bring in 

• Like 1

This is such an odd draft for me. I’m sure it’s almost all personal perception, but doesn’t it always feel like a) the drop off of talent from tier to tier is always right before our pick, and b) that the talent clusters in rounds 2-3 never match up with our needs?

This year, we’re right at the bottom of the ‘potential cornerstone prospect’ tier, and barring a huge slide for Herbert, we’re in line to grab one of the last remaining studs (Herbert sliding could also bring in a lot of interesting trade-down options. Win-win.)

Rounds 2-3 seem to have loads of WR’s, CB’s, and IDL’s. With 4 picks between 46-95, you could easily walk away with 2-3 instant contributors at those positions. Normally I’m a trade-up guy, but I wouldn’t mess with that kind of opportunity unless something REALLY strange fell into my lap.