2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

My sleeper 2nd round pick is Willie Gay Jr. Perfect “I can mold him” challenge for Fangio. May seem high but I don’t see him making it to Round 3. 

2nd round seems a bit high for him, I could see 4th or 5th but that's my opinion. 

Drafting players with a strong work ethic this year is probably more important than any draft in history.  

Hopefully this doesn’t happen, but there is a pretty good chance training camps won’t be on time and it means it’s going to be a messed up season (if there even is a season).  I’ve read there isn’t a “normal” for the world until there is a vaccine.  Now the NFL will have things in place to try and combat this, but teams in all likelihood will not have the ability to have their guys in the building as much as usual, meaning players will be left to learn the playbook and stay in shape on their own.  

Not that in any other draft you don’t want players who want to be great, but in a normal season you can at least be keeping tabs on players and come training camp they’re spending the majority of their life around the team.  This will be completely different.  Far more room for error in so many ways with this draft.  Which is why you want to be selecting strong work ethic individuals that want to be great and love football.  This is not a year to gamble with anything less than that. 

45 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

2nd round seems a bit high for him, I could see 4th or 5th but that's my opinion. 

I’m certain he won’t make it out of the 2nd. Most gifted pure LB in the draft in my opinion. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m certain he won’t make it out of the 2nd. Most gifted pure LB in the draft. 

Well, that'll make it all more enjoyable when we get him in the 3rd round.....even though I'd take Logan Wilson before him B|

Edited by Cutler06

11 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Everyone seems to like Morris at C, so I’d think a veteran insurance policy makes more sense than a draft pick (unless a guy like Biadasz falls into the 3rd.) An OT with experience on the left side would be great though. We could do better than Bolles in the medium-long term, for sure. 

Corner is a gigantic need. I like Bausby as a 4th CB right now, but he’d be starting on the outside if the season started tomorrow. There’s only one top end guy in the draft, but there’s probably 10 others who could go between picks 15-77. 

I think most people around here know that I’m high on Kenneth Murray, especially in Fangio’s defence. I’ve got ILB and DL as significant medium-long term needs, so if there’s a BPA guy at those spots, don’t hesitate. There’s a scenario where Murray would be my BPA at 15, but it would mean that Herbert/Love were still on the board, so I’d exhaust all possible trade-down’s first. 

Surely Bausby is already the 4th CB behind Bouye, Callahan and Yiadom?

16 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Everyone seems to like Morris at C, so I’d think a veteran insurance policy makes more sense than a draft pick (unless a guy like Biadasz falls into the 3rd.) An OT with experience on the left side would be great though. We could do better than Bolles in the medium-long term, for sure. 

Corner is a gigantic need. I like Bausby as a 4th CB right now, but he’d be starting on the outside if the season started tomorrow. There’s only one top end guy in the draft, but there’s probably 10 others who could go between picks 15-77. 

I think most people around here know that I’m high on Kenneth Murray, especially in Fangio’s defence. I’ve got ILB and DL as significant medium-long term needs, so if there’s a BPA guy at those spots, don’t hesitate. There’s a scenario where Murray would be my BPA at 15, but it would mean that Herbert/Love were still on the board, so I’d exhaust all possible trade-down’s first. 

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The issue is that Callahan & Bausby's health and return to peak-level play is by no means guaranteed.  And let's remember that Bausby flashed over 2-3 games.  It's hardly enough to project with certainty he's ready to take on top 4 snaps.   It's just that at min-wage, that's a huge bonus if he can.  It's what made him such a great asset - top 4 CB production at min-wage for 3 more seasons would have been the UFA jackpot.  But it wasn't by any means guaranteed, and now it's really iffy that he'll make it to the field and stay there.

Bausby's still only 50-50 IMO to work out.   The risk with his type of injury is massive.  The players that do return often tweak the neck, and then it's game over.  No one wants a Ryan Shazier...or worse, a Nick Buonoconti.   Re: Callahan, until we see his foot is fully healed, always worry that some speed/agility is lost.   Hopefully it's not.  A healthy CHI-level Callahan would lock down our slot CB nicely.  But also uncertain.  And if he's not quite all the way back - we do need to think about 2021+ for CB.   It's just not a great draft to spend an early pick on, even Rd2.

I definitely have no problem if we spend 1 of our Rd3-4 picks on CB - as @broncosfan_101 mentioned, the mid-level tier for CB's is better.   I don't think I'd mine CB Rd 2, though - the difference between who you get then and mid-Rd3 isn't the same kind of gap as with other spots, and I suspect need will drive teams to take CB earlier than they should in the first 4-5 guys chosen.     We have enough needs at multiple spots that we can pair overall BPA & need pretty well with IOL/ILB/WR/DL/T at Rd2 with who's likely there - the top 3-4 CB's are likely long gone by then, and the difference between #5 and #10 CB isn't worth reaching for then.   

Now it's even more guesswork given teams can't interview or bring players in for private workouts, though, so if a guy like Henderson/Diggs falls to 2.50...sure.  But I doubt that happens.  CB's are so valuable in man schemes, that they go earlier than by pure talent valuation alone.

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The issue is that Callahan & Bausby's health and return to peak-level play is by no means guaranteed.  And let's remember that Bausby flashed over 2-3 games.  It's hardly enough to project with certainty he's ready to take on top 4 snaps.   It's just that at min-wage, that's a huge bonus if he can.  It's what made him such a great asset - top 4 CB production at min-wage for 3 more seasons would have been the UFA jackpot.  But it wasn't by any means guaranteed, and now it's really iffy that he'll make it to the field and stay there.

Bausby's still only 50-50 IMO to work out.   The risk with his type of injury is massive.  The players that do return often tweak the neck, and then it's game over.  No one wants a Ryan Shazier...or worse, a Nick Buonoconti.   Re: Callahan, until we see his foot is fully healed, always worry that some speed/agility is lost.   Hopefully it's not.  A healthy CHI-level Callahan would lock down our slot CB nicely.  But also uncertain.  And if he's not quite all the way back - we do need to think about 2021+ for CB.   It's just not a great draft to spend an early pick on, even Rd2.

I definitely have no problem if we spend 1 of our Rd3-4 picks on CB - as @broncosfan_101 mentioned, the mid-level tier for CB's is better.   I don't think I'd mine CB Rd 2, though - the difference between who you get then and mid-Rd3 isn't the same kind of gap as with other spots, and I suspect need will drive teams to take CB earlier than they should in the first 4-5 guys chosen.     We have enough needs at multiple spots that we can pair overall BPA & need pretty well with IOL/ILB/WR/DL/T at Rd2 with who's likely there - the top 3-4 CB's are likely long gone by then, and the difference between #5 and #10 CB isn't worth reaching for then.   

Now it's even more guesswork given teams can't interview or bring players in for private workouts, though, so if a guy like Henderson/Diggs falls to 2.50...sure.  But I doubt that happens.  CB's are so valuable in man schemes, that they go earlier than by pure talent valuation alone.

Overall it’s a pretty disappointing CB class imo.

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Is Yiadom really gonna be a thing? I don’t wanna dismiss the kid at only 24 years old, but he’s just not good at all. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

A healthy CHI-level Callahan would lock down our slot CB nicely.  But also uncertain.  And if he's not quite all the way back - we do need to think about 2021+ for CB.   It's just not a great draft to spend an early pick on, even Rd2.

Henderson’s not falling to 50, but one of Gladney/Diggs/Fulton/Johnson/Terrell could be there, and I’d definitely get on board with any of them. 

I really really like Andrew Thomas, and I think there’s a lot of scenarios where he’s BPA at our spot, but am I the only one who thinks he’s more G/RT than LT? His kick outs tend to get pretty loose against good speed, but I think he’d absolutely maul inside. If he’s BPA, I could very much get behind a Bolles/Thomas/Glasgow/Risner/James line, with Thomas acting as the backup tackle, with Wilkinson/Morris/Schlottmann as the reserves. And then if/when James is hurt or gets cut, Thomas could slide outside.

• Like 1

I really really like Andrew Thomas, and I think there’s a lot of scenarios where he’s BPA at our spot, but am I the only one who thinks he’s more G/RT than LT? His kick outs tend to get pretty loose against good speed, but I think he’d absolutely maul inside. If he’s BPA, I could very much get behind a Bolles/Thomas/Glasgow/Risner/James line, with Thomas acting as the backup tackle, with Wilkinson/Morris/Schlottmann as the reserves. And then if/when James is hurt or gets cut, Thomas could slide outside.

I actually really like this idea, its very similar to what NO did with Andrus Peat. They drafted him as BPA, plugged him into OG with the intention to eventually move him outside but it never happened. Thomas is a more athletic prospect than Peat, so I think he could both be a plug / play OG and a guy with transition potential to OT. 

He has all the tools to be the next Scherff or Peat, a guy that could be a Pro Bowl level OG from the first snap IMO. I love this idea, but dont think we will get that creative and further dont think he is avaliable at 15. 

I hate that Denver does this, but they almost have to take a WR at #15 (possibly trading up from 15) or trade up from #46 to get one.  I understand it is a deep class, but you also want to get the right guy.  You can’t go into next year with Tim Patrick as the #2 WR and I like Patrick, but you want him as your #4. 

Just now, germ-x said:

I hate that Denver does this, but they almost have to take a WR at #15 (possibly trading up from 15) or trade up from #46 to get one.  I understand it is a deep class, but you also want to get the right guy.  You can’t go into next year with Tim Patrick as the #2 WR and I like Patrick, but you want him as your #4. 

I want Jeudy in the 1st and hope that Shenault falls to the third round...go get them both??  Why not?  

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

@broncos_fan _from _uk and I talked about that very thing a couple of months ago.

Thomas gives you an immediate starter at RG and a swing OT, our two largest OL needs. I think it's a great idea. At 15 he'd be almost a lock to be BPA.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

@broncos_fan _from _uk and I talked about that very thing a couple of months ago.

Thomas gives you an immediate starter at RG and a swing OT, our two largest OL needs. I think it's a great idea. At 15 he'd be almost a lock to be BPA.

Yeah, I think his technique is more RT at this point but he has the traits to be a dominant LT as well. I think he would be RG initially with GG at center. Then when James gets hurt (physically, emotionally, spiritually, whatever) everyone slides down and Morris comes in at OC.