GDT 9/22/19 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

But yeah this Ravens-Chiefs matchup is steadily becoming a rivalry and one of the best games on the season.

Weird that Lamar will have started against Mahomes twice(3 times if we see him in the playoffs), and not once against rothlisbergur when you fast forward to 2020. Times are a changing in the division and conference. 

22 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Remember last year Chuck Clark started in place of Tony Jefferson in our meeting with the Chiefs. Clark even picked Mahomes off. That won't happen this time, TJ is fully healthy and unfortunately not exactly coming off his best performance vs the Cardinals. 

Forgot about that. He’s going to single handedly lose us this game. He might be more of a defensive weakness against the pass than Frank Walker and Corey Ivy... but that’s probably just recency Bias getting the best of me here.

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Forgot about that. He’s going to single handedly lose us this game. He might be more of a defensive weakness against the pass than Frank Walker and Corey Ivy... but that’s probably just recency Bias getting the best of me here.

lol Maybe, I always called him Frank "The Magician" Walker. Doesn't matter who the receiver was or how good of coverage you though he had, Walker could make a reception appear out of nowhere. 

Hopefully Wink just puts TJ in the proper positions, because Mahomes doesn't let you make mistakes. Every new offensive series against him is like trying to diffuse a bomb. You could have him in 4th & 18 running for his life, the final wire is almost clipped.....and BOOM. Massive completion to Tyreek Hill and bodies laying everywhere.

I feel this is the that's gonna cement us into that top tier of the NFL. Lamar was able to go in there last year running at 25%. With the new season and offense tailored for him, I think he goes back into Arrowhead and drags his planters once again but this time, for a win. I'm scared about the defense since Jimmy and Tavon isn't playing, but I think if Judon and McPhee send a chill up Pat's spine, we'll be OK. Looking around the same score as last time, but with a Ravens win.

Ravens 30 - Chiefs 27

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Remember last year Chuck Clark started in place of Tony Jefferson in our meeting with the Chiefs. Clark even picked Mahomes off. That won't happen this time, TJ is fully healthy and unfortunately not exactly coming off his best performance vs the Cardinals. 

The positives are that last season Tavon Young was playing obviously hurt and got abused religiously for it, he was noticeably slow. 

Anthony Averrett is at least healthy and typically has tight coverage, if this is the game where he learns to get his head around, he could be a boon.

Jimmy was also working his way back into shape and didn’t have the speed to hang with their receiving core IIRC. So Cyrus Jones shouldn’t be too far off what Jimmy was able to provide last year.

CJ Mosley is also gone and so we have more speed on the field to matchup. I wonder if we don’t use Brandon Carr on Kelce for most of the game as well. Treat him like he’s Larry Fitzgerald and force him to risk OPI against the smaller man to get his big plays. Other option would be using Tyus Bowser as a cover option as well.

I anticipate a lot of Kenny Young and Peanut blitzing the A gap to deliver pressure to Mahomes up front. Which Mosley would attempt to do, but he was a below average blitzed and always got stuck on a block, making it a worthless tactic last year. This year that could be an effective way to get quick pressures on Mahomes.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

In general our safties had a bad game. The deep throw to Kirk in the 1. quarter is Early Thomas going inside to take out Kirks route, but Kirk breaks outside (Thomas had deep half in cover 2), and they got a big play. On the first deep pass to Fitzgerald, the receiver runs down field and Humphrey follows him. Jefferson is flat footed in the zone looking at the play not realizing Larry runs out behind him. Just not very aware in zone coverage as we saw last year.

On the second deep pass to Larry Fitzgerald, this is just really bad. Ravens are in a "cloud" coverage disguised as cover 2 with Thomas and Jefferson as deep safeties (at least thats what we called it when I played), where the cornerback on the right side has deep responsibility, Earl Thomas starts in the middle but goes down field to take out the crosser. 

Jefferson though immediately sprints towards the right side of the field towards the receiver going against our cornerback leaving the entire left side wide open for Fitzgerald. I can't think this is anybody but Jeffersons responsibility.

I'm just going to try to enjoy this game because watching Lamar vs. Mahomes is hopefully going to turn into Brady vs. Manning going forward. As far as the game, Earl Thomas will be the key to stopping the chunk plays and Anthony Levine will be the key to stopping Kelce.

Offensively, neutralize Frank Clark and chew up the clock to keep Mahomes on the sidelines - and please continue to feed Mark Andrews.

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm just going to try to enjoy this game because watching Lamar vs. Mahomes is hopefully going to turn into Brady vs. Manning going forward.

Watch, Tom is going to try and play long enough to turn Brady vs Mahomes into Brady vs Manning going forward....

• Like 1

Mahomes vs Jackson

Kelce vs Mandrews

Mathieu vs Thomas

some great position battles, no matter the outcome it feels great going into Arrowhead knowing you can go toe to toe with that kind of offensive juggernaut.
hoping for a close game until late in the 4th quarter and a game winning drive capped of by a 50+ yarder from the man himself, Justin Tucker.

^^^

I know many think I’m simply waxing poetic and over exaggerating. But I have never seen a QB better than Patrick Mahomes. Peak Peyton Manning was the only guy that I can throw at him because of his ability to be an OC on the field, but even then... Mahomes makes passes I have never seen before. If he stays healthy, I think he’s the GOAT.

... that said, Lamar Jackson should be nicknamed Gunsmoke like that old TV show. You lineup with 8 men in the box, go zone coverage, and/or try an all out blitz him... you get the gun. If you lineup in man, your ends are rushing aggressively upfield, or the linebackers are overly aggressive trying to attack the RB for the TFL... you get the smoke.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1