GDT 9/22/19 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Anyone else loving the way Lamar is carrying himself this week in regards to how he's answering questions about the hype surrounding this game? The kids coming off like a natural leader. I always wondered if he could command a team and really be the soul leader. He's surprised me in a lot of ways. 

He's maturing before our eyes and I'm loving it. 

I never had any doubt about that aspect. What I like to do for most of the draft prospects I watch is look at them during a media session, how they respond to questions, how they sound, whether they sound respectful of the questions, if they sound like they want to be there, etc.

This has always been a huge strength in Lamar’s overall package and one of the reasons that I, as a Flacco supporter to the end, said that Lamar Jackson (and Baker Mayfield for other reasons) were the only QBs in that draft class that would enable me to move on from Joe. Not only did Lamar have the talent, not only did he have the ability that inspired his teammates around him, but he also had a humble competitiveness to him that’s endearing yet satiating as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I never had any doubt about that aspect. What I like to do for most of the draft prospects I watch is look at them during a media session, how they respond to questions, how they sound, whether they sound respectful of the questions, if they sound like they want to be there, etc.

This has always been a huge strength in Lamar’s overall package and one of the reasons that I, as a Flacco supporter to the end, said that Lamar Jackson (and Baker Mayfield for other reasons) were the only QBs in that draft class that would enable me to move on from Joe. Not only did Lamar have the talent, not only did he have the ability that inspired his teammates around him, but he also had a humble competitiveness to him that’s endearing yet satiating as well.

Just adding to what you wrote, the bit about Lamar from Jeff Zbriec in the Athletic about how Lamar got down on himself for not performing in a high school game, because he wanted to help his teammates, that really convinced me that he is genuine and not a "performer", who says and does the right thing in front of the cameras.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Just adding to what you wrote, the bit about Lamar from Jeff Zbriec in the Athletic about how Lamar got down on himself for not performing in a high school game, because he wanted to help his teammates, that really convinced me that he is genuine and not a "performer", who says and does the right thing in front of the cameras.

That was a great story and great piece.

Obviously none of this matters if we get blown out on Sunday but it's been fun feeling this week like we're really at the center of the league again. It's been fun to have a guy in Lamar who everyone around the league has an interest in - even if it made for an annoying offseason for the same reasons. Even when we were a consistent contender in the Billick/early Harbaugh years we were the opposite of exciting and were never a team neutrals were excited about watching. Fast forward to now where everyone and their mother has circled the Chiefs game as the game of the week and people are talking about how it's a shame it's too early in the season to flex games into primetime, etc. Just a complete sea change in the way people talk about our Ravens. It means the failures/bad losses/bad games by Lamar are only going to be more magnified (and on that last point, you know there's an entire group of fans who are patiently waiting till his first bad game of the season to come out of the woodwork and dismiss him entirely), but winning in the spotlight is all that much more fun as well. 

• Like 5

On 9/17/2019 at 9:03 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Insane that there’s a duo that had more.

But yeah this Ravens-Chiefs matchup is steadily becoming a rivalry and one of the best games on the season. This is the kind of matchup that primetime was built for, but hey the NFL thought Lamar was a RB, so what do you do....

Read closely, that was heading into week 6.  still impressive on the 0 Int component, but the number of TDs heading into a week 3 matchup is very eye-popping.

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

It means the failures/bad losses/bad games by Lamar are only going to be more magnified (and on that last point, you know there's an entire group of fans who are patiently waiting till his first bad game of the season to come out of the woodwork and dismiss him entirely), but winning in the spotlight is all that much more fun as well. 

Yeah, I’m sure PA is probably on speed dial....

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

This is bad news for potential injuries. Also heavy rain makes Lamar’s legs less of a threat when the pocket breaks down, he can’t just quickly accelerate into another gear now.

That said, fumbling was a concern for Lamar last season, will be interesting to see how he looks in rainy conditions.