GDT Week 3: Bills

theJ

I just watched Goodberry's film review on the running game.  It's really not far off.  It's a combination of executing a few blocks better, and Mixon seeing the cutback lanes.  He missed quite a few that could have led to some bigger chunks.  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, INbengalfan said:

It was totoally understandable for a few preseason games.  This one is now, what, going on five or six weeks?  This is a problem.

There's an article on The Athletic about this.  Headline said day 35, didn't read beyond that cause paywall,  but those of you who aren't cheap can give it a read.

30 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

There's an article on The Athletic about this.  Headline said day 35, didn't read beyond that cause paywall,  but those of you who aren't cheap can give it a read.

I read the article.  There wasn't much in there because the media isn't allowed to talk to Glenn.  Just talked about prior history with other people in similar situations, and how this was an unusually long time for someone to be out with a concussion.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I read the article.  There wasn't much in there because the media isn't allowed to talk to Glenn.  Just talked about prior history with other people in similar situations, and how this was an unusually long time for someone to be out with a concussion.

I'd get nothing done if I had the athletic. 

43 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

You guys got a heck of coach in Zac Taylor and certainly  a few pieces to build around. I know (from experience) there is no moral victories but you guys certainly are better then your record suggest and there was no quit in your team today.

I think a lot of fans are trying to be optimistic but we keep finding ways to lose

A few things in yesterday's game made me mad.

I got home in time to watch the 4th quarter.  Toward the end of the game, on defense there were a few critical plays.

Knox catches that long pass and commits not one but two penalties on the run.  The run should have been called down where he clearly facemasks the safety, and brought back 15 yards from there.  If they want to ignore the grab and twist, then it should have been called down where he lead with the crown of his helmet and called back 15 yards from there.

I think it was after that (or maybe it was the previous drive? - my memory on the play by play isn't great), Andrew Brown makes a great move to get to Allen.  As he beats the OL, the OL blocking him wraps him up from behind and drags him backward, preventing him from getting a full body shot on Allen.  Allen slips away and gets a big first down (i believe it was 3rd down).

Maybe the Bills score anyway, but i came away salty, particularly with the non-holding call, given how flag happy they've been on holdings all year.  Especially in light of the phantom holding call on Tate on the kick return for a TD.

All big swings in the game.

Anyway, if the Bengals wanted to win, putting together one drive for a FG in the first half would have been huge.  They were pretty inept.  So no sense blaming the refs.  Back to the drawing board.  This team is close to winning a game.  They're competitive.  All will be forgiven if they beat Pittsburgh this week on MNF.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

A few things in yesterday's game made me mad.

I got home in time to watch the 4th quarter.  Toward the end of the game, on defense there were a few critical plays.

Knox catches that long pass and commits not one but two penalties on the run.  The run should have been called down where he clearly facemasks the safety, and brought back 15 yards from there.  If they want to ignore the grab and twist, then it should have been called down where he lead with the crown of his helmet and called back 15 yards from there.

I think it was after that (or maybe it was the previous drive? - my memory on the play by play isn't great), Andrew Brown makes a great move to get to Allen.  As he beats the OL, the OL blocking him wraps him up from behind and drags him backward, preventing him from getting a full body shot on Allen.  Allen slips away and gets a big first down (i believe it was 3rd down).

Maybe the Bills score anyway, but i came away salty, particularly with the non-holding call, given how flag happy they've been on holdings all year.  Especially in light of the phantom holding call on Tate on the kick return for a TD.

All big swings in the game.

Anyway, if the Bengals wanted to win, putting together one drive for a FG in the first half would have been huge.  They were pretty inept.  So no sense blaming the refs.  Back to the drawing board.  This team is close to winning a game.  They're competitive.  All will be forgiven if they beat Pittsburgh this week on MNF.

As bad as those were, you should have seen the phantom holding call on the Phillips KO return that should have been a TD, and later the fumble by Allen along the sidelines where the ref said the play had been blown dead.  Unreal