GDT Week 3: Bills

theJ

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

How is everyone feeling right now? What's everyone's outlook for the rest of the season?

I'm hanging on by a thread. I hope we show some semblance of competitiveness @ Buffalo.

Sunday's game looked an awful lot like the game I watched the day before,  only with us playing the role of Indiana.  At least defensively.  We looked like there was a  huge talent disparity,  which I don't believe to be the case, but I'm starting to think I might be delusional. 

Offensively,  its a big play or nothing.  We need to be able to get 3 to 5 yards with some regularity if we are going to sustain drives. It's not happening. 

For fun, here's one version I thought that the offensive line would be after the draft: 

LT Glenn 

LG Boling 

C Price 

RG Westerman 

RT Williams 

I was pretty happy with the potential of that line to be above average.  None of those guys are starters right now for various reasons. Price is getting a shot now,  and while I like him more than most,  getting beat out as an incumbent is not a good look.  Miller and Hopkins have been ok, but their run blocking is not very good. 

Anyway, I am not giving up,  but it's hard to be optimistic after that shellacking.  

3 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Offensively,  its a big play or nothing.  We need to be able to get 3 to 5 yards with some regularity if we are going to sustain drives. It's not happening. 

Yup. Which ties back to the running game. We start seemingly every drive 2nd and 11 after getting stuff on first down. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Miller and Hopkins have been ok, but their run blocking is not very good. 

I actually think those two have been the bright spots. Hopkins has been great. And Goodberry just posted a few really good clips on Miller opening things in the running game. I think he graded out above average last week according to PFF.

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

It was totoally understandable for a few preseason games.  This one is now, what, going on five or six weeks?  This is a problem.

Heard yesterday he was doing some cardio or stretching or something.  Which is more than he's done for a while.

I still am not convinced he's coming back this year, or ever.  Which, if Williams is back next year and healthy maybe isn't a problem.  I think they have their LG and C positions worked out, Miller seems fine at RG for now, and the team doesn't seem inclined to move Glenn to RT to replace Hart.  

Just sucks for this year, because LT may as well be filled by air at some points.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

How is everyone feeling right now? What's everyone's outlook for the rest of the season?

I'm hanging on by a thread. I hope we show some semblance of competitiveness @ Buffalo.

I think they'll show well against Buffalo.  Getting embarrassed at home tends to tighten things up, and it just seemed like they were a step behind everything SF was doing offensively.

My outlook hasn't changed.  I thought 6 to 8 wins at the beginning of the season.  Starting to look more like 6, but we've seen these things turn around before.  The good news is that the players still seem positive.  They know they're building to something better, so i think they'll be able to keep their focus throughout the year and surprise some teams as the year goes on.

The good news is that they're at least doing two things really well - passing the ball, and applying pressure on the opposing QB.  So while they may be winless, they're a step ahead of some of other 0-2 teams and ahead of some of the 1-1 teams really who aren't doing much of anything well.

The good news about the last two weeks is that they were both against NFC teams, so it doesn't hurt us as much if tiebreakers are a factor later on. I'm still holding out hope that they can bounce back and be competitive. I think the Steelers will bounce back as well and it should be a tight race for the crown at the end (if Baltimore plateaus at all)

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

The good news about the last two weeks is that they were both against NFC teams, so it doesn't hurt us as much if tiebreakers are a factor later on. I'm still holding out hope that they can bounce back and be competitive. I think the Steelers will bounce back as well and it should be a tight race for the crown at the end (if Baltimore plateaus at all)

I don't really expect much from Rudolph, but yeah maybe they can still be competitive.  Their problem is their defense is about as the Bengals, if you believe in DVOA.  And that has nothing to do with Rudolph.

The fact that Cleveland didn't blow the doors off NYJ is problematic for them, IMO.

I think the Ravens win the division by 3 games or more.  A runaway.  I would not have said that two weeks ago, so maybe i'm being reactionary.  But it's how it looks at the moment.