Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Denver Broncos

broncosfan07

Ok we cleared the space.  Move to come.  Have to think with only senior Peko around for NT and no Kerr NT Tyrique Jarrett could get activated off PS at least until Kerr returns.  Or get a FA NT.  Especially with first 2 games at home need a NT rotation in altitude.    

Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala)
Broncos have waived NT Kyle Peko. Would anticipate them making a corresponding move by Monday's game.

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ok we cleared the space.  Move to come.  Have to think with only senior Peko around for NT and no Kerr NT Tyrique Jarrett could get activated off PS at least until Kerr returns.  Or get a FA NT.  Especially with first 2 games at home need a NT rotation in altitude.    

Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala)
Broncos have waived NT Kyle Peko. Would anticipate them making a corresponding move by Monday's game.

Like you've said multiple times, why the hell haven't we picked up a legitimate DL. It's so frustrating to watch. I get developing home grown players but we hold on to these guys and let them go middle of the year like Kilgo when we could have picked up a vet/proven commodity.

24 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Like you've said multiple times, why the hell haven't we picked up a legitimate DL. It's so frustrating to watch. I get developing home grown players but we hold on to these guys and let them go middle of the year like Kilgo when we could have picked up a vet/proven commodity.

I can't fault Elway for plan A it was either Calais Campbell or Chris Baker and he tried for both.  Campbell just took so long deciding (and we were *this* close to getting him) that we lost out on Baker, he'd already decided when Elway reached out to him.  And then we found out that the 3-4 NT market was insane (before this year top 3-4 NT made 5M AAV the top 3 guys who are high level difference makers all got 8-10M AAV).    So I get how we missed there.  Just don't get why we didn't explore the cheap FA market for depth with choices available then passed on a free square when the WW let guys go who were great 3-4 DE fits for us like Dial.   Oh well.  Time to move forward I guess.   It's just really frustrating as you said when it's so clearly our biggest weakness on D going into FA and we didn't address after missing out on Campbell/Baker. 

Given the timing I'd guess it's Jarrett.  Then he goes back to PS when Kerr returns.   FWIW I'd much rather roll with Jarrett than Kyle Peko long term.   So don't mind today's move at all I actually like it. I just wish we had more 3-4 DE than Harris, Crick and Gotsis.  Wolfe goes down and we are screwed on the DL.   

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don't follow the logic in Peko making the team over Jarrett and then being waived to secure a spot for Jarrett a week later. What am I missing here? 

3 possibilities:

1. Peko may not be ready to play.   Remember he had foot issues in preseason IIRC. 

2.   If they re-sign Peko after week 1 I believe his salary isn't guaranteed but Week to Week.  @paul-mac can confirm. Once Kerr returns they will use just him and Peko Sr. at NT (and Kerr helps at DE too). So keeping Kyle Peko week-to-week makes sense $-wise   

3.  A combo of  #1 & #2. 

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I wonder if we see a lot of big nickel for our base defense this week with only 4 healthy DL. Would mean Parks plays almost the entire game. 

MGIII would have a huge day if we did that.   Anything is possible but man I wouldn't think that plays to our strengths only allows them to ground and pound us. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I wonder if we see a lot of big nickel for our base defense this week with only 4 healthy DL. Would mean Parks plays almost the entire game. 

I think players develop more on the ps than 3rd or 4th option on the depth chart that was my logic to justify it.

Paradis is a primary exampl I think he developed much faster on the ps.

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

3 possibilities:

1. Peko may not be ready to play.   Remember he had foot issues in preseason IIRC. 

2.   If they re-sign Peko after week 1 I believe his salary isn't guaranteed but Week to Week.  @paul-mac can confirm. Once Kerr returns they will use just him and Peko Sr. at NT (and Kerr helps at DE too). So keeping Kyle Peko week-to-week makes sense $-wise   

3.  A combo of  #1 & #2. 

It's entirely based on your first point. Peko Jr is too hurt to play, so we waive him and bring Jarrett up from the PS (or sign someone else) as the only healthy DL we have are Wolfe, Gotsis, Harris and Peko Sr (and even the first two aren't completely healthy. They'll play but should be on a snap count). 

The guaranteed money argument only applies to veterans of 4 years or more and the deadline for that was Tuesday past, so any veteran with 4 years of experience who was on an NFL roster as of Tuesday last week is guaranteed his full salary for the year, whereas veterans signed since Tuesday and any player of less than 4 years is paid week to week. 

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

It's entirely based on your first point. Peko Jr is too hurt to play, so we waive him and bring Jarrett up from the PS (or sign someone else) as the only healthy DL we have are Wolfe, Gotsis, Harris and Peko Sr (and even the first two aren't completely healthy. They'll play but should be on a snap count). 

The guaranteed money argument only applies to veterans of 4 years or more and the deadline for that was Tuesday past, so any veteran with 4 years of experience who was on an NFL roster as of Tuesday last week is guaranteed his full salary for the year, whereas veterans signed since Tuesday and any player of less than 4 years is paid week to week. 

Thx for clartifying the salary part learn something new every day.  

Just to be clear though a bunch of rookie deals are guaranteed like 1st rounders.  Obv a guy like Peko jr, won't have a guaranteed $ deal.   So you are referring to all non-guaranteed deals with players with less than 4 years service time go week to week even if a guy makes the 53-man roster?  I guess that's how the roster - PS switches can happen so easily but damn  the CBA is so tilted to teams it's not funny.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Thx for clartifying the salary part learn something new every day.  

Just to be clear though a bunch of rookie deals are guaranteed like 1st rounders.  Obv a guy like Peko jr, won't have a guaranteed $ deal.   So you are referring to all non-guaranteed deals with players with less than 4 years service time go week to week even if a guy makes the 53-man roster?  I guess that's how the roster - PS switches can happen so easily but damn  the CBA is so tilted to teams it's not funny.  

Yeah this is basically when non-guaranteed money becomes guaranteed. 

Money thats guaranteed at signing is moot for these purposes. 

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I really like when we're playing in primetime because it means the Sunday afternoon for me is a 6 hour session of NFL redzone

idk i was pretty excited that the NFL was back, but then sad that I had to wait another day 

Tough test for our new OL. We won't face a more disruptive 4-3 DL this year. By any measure they should dominate us.

Hopefully we run enough to keep them honest and let our OL get physical. That's why we got Leary, Bolles and Watson.

Watching today was really, really painful.  The OL and QB play from 5-6 teams was frankly abysmal.

I feel a *little* better about our OL and QB questions only because as bad as we've been...well, I saw at least 4-5 teams who are already worse than our brutal 2016 level of play.

Now, problem with playing in the AFC West is having a bad OL is a major problem, given we face Mack & co. in OAK, Houston & Dee Ford in KC, and Bosa/Ingram in SD.   If we can't establish the run game, it really exposes Watson's weakness and Bolles' inexperience.   Still, the Chargers not having Perryman really helps us.  And on their OL front, as they are turning over 3 (and maybe 4 positions) on the OL, while I think they will be a lot better this year, this is the chance for them to struggle.   Again, not having their top OL draft pick, Forrest Lamp, really helps us.  Just wish we had a real DL upgrade instead of the piecemeal solution we have, with painfully thin depth Week 1.  

I hope NO-MIN and our game's play elevates over today - because, frankly, other than the Jags, Rams and Eagles (how many times do you hear that line, Jags & Rams and being impressed?) really being impressive, a lot of teams put up Opening Day Turkeys.

Archived