Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Denver Broncos

broncosfan07

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Actually DPI can't be called when a player is behind the line of scrimmage.   It could have qualified as D holding but that rarely gets called as both players are engaging.   

Either way the INT of 1 is deserved either way merit wise.  Not that stats are supposed to be always fair lol.  

Good point about being behind the LOS.  When the contact occurs while the ball is in the air and it results in a pick, it should be flagged every time though.  

2 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Good point about being behind the LOS.  When the contact occurs while the ball is in the air and it results in a pick, it should be flagged every time though.  

It's clearly written in the rules that contact behind the LOS that interferes with attempts to catch the ball can be called as D holding, so in theory it should be flagged.   But the issue is that the contact is rarely one-sided, the receiver often looks engaged like they could be blocking...so the refs often don't call it.   It sucks for us in this case, but I've seen so many no-calls I rarely even expect it when it does happen.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It's clearly written in the rules that contact behind the LOS that interferes with attempts to catch the ball can be called as D holding, so in theory it should be flagged.   But the issue is that the contact is rarely one-sided, the receiver often looks engaged like they could be blocking...so the refs often don't call it.   It sucks for us in this case, but I've seen so many no-calls I rarely even expect it when it does happen.

Yeah I'm just calling it as I see it.  I'm not a Bronco fan.  They're a team I have historically cheered for against most teams though, going back to the Elway/Atwater days.  I quit watching them as much in the Manning era since he annoyed the hell out of me his entire career.  The D is fun to watch now though and Siemian is coming along I think.  I had high hopes for Lynch, but it appears the mental aspect isn't up to par with his physical tools.

Was listening to a podcast the other day and someone made a really interesting point.

Apparently Derek Wolfe was letting it be known on the sideline that he had been killing the Chargers rookie guard Dan Feeney all day. Then they went in for the FG attempt and Wolfe found himself matched up against Feeney again. After the first attempt, Wolfe told Shelby Harris to stay close to him and jump through the hole that he would create and block the kick.

My first thought was that it's a great bit of veteran leadership by Derek Wolfe. My second thought is that Wolfe might be our best run blocking offensive lineman if we wanna try him out at Right Tackle. 

Archived