Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Denver Broncos

broncosfan07

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well this isn't good.  

The fact we chose to not upgrade DE further beyond Shelby Harris last week could really hurt us here.  

Mike Klis (@MikeKlis)
DE Jared Crick didn't practice today (back.) Uh oh. See where he's at tomorrow. Gotsis, Shelby Harris could play a lot Monday. #9sports

If this is any indication how he will be all season, this is going to suck not knowing if he's ready to go or not. I mean back spasms hampered Ware often with us.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm really worried about watson I get it he can't be worse than stephenson but that isn't saying much.

I suspect the plan will be to pound the ball as much as possible to take the pressure off the need for pass protection - and that is something Watson can contribute to

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

I suspect the plan will be to pound the ball as much as possible to take the pressure off the need for pass protection - and that is something Watson can contribute to

So we're gonna be very predictable on offense. And being down by more than 7 at any point and goodnight winning? 

This is the Nfl you need more than 1 way to win a game. At some point the pass protection will have to hold up. Whether it be a critical 3rd down etc.

Come on people - it is the start of a new season - the team hasn't even played a down yet - be optimistic - be excited - let's look forward to a 16-0 regular season where Von hardly breaks a sweat as the Broncos romp to another SB victory.

Plenty of time for all the depression and criticism once our hopes and dreams get crushed.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Come on people - it is the start of a new season - the team hasn't even played a down yet - be optimistic - be excited - let's look forward to a 16-0 regular season where Von hardly breaks a sweat as the Broncos romp to another SB victory.

Plenty of time for all the depression and criticism once our hopes and dreams get crushed.

Still pretty confident we can win this game, but it will be a tough one. Each Divisional game will be a challenge this season.

5 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

That's what I like about this forum we have objective critical fans on here. It's not sports talk radio lets tell you what you want to hear. 

I do think this defense will be great it will even look better in some areas than it did last year. I do think the run game will be much improved. I do also think Trevor can do some things that are critical for this teams playoff chances.

I'm on the side that I don't think this is a middling roster. I think in any other division besides the nfc east and nfc South this team would easily make the playoffs.

But from top to bottom the afc is loaded.

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

Yeah not sure why Elway didn't see this as an issue weeks ago when both got hurt, Peko has been hurt and Wolfe has been hurt. 

Just dumb.

Plus there were actual useful DE guys available on the WW.  SF released Quentin Dial he cleared waivers and Green Bay snapped him up.  Now they are already talking about a multi-year deal. A free shot.  And the guy was only cut by SF because of a scheme change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and a roster numbers game since they drafted Solomon Thomas.  Oh well. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Plus there were actual useful DE guys available on the WW.  SF released Quentin Dial he cleared waivers and Green Bay snapped him up.  Now talking about a nuts year deal. A free shot.  And guy was only cut because of a scheme change and numbers game.  Oh well. 

Yep, with only 53 spots it's hard to find room but it's not like either injury popped up in practice this week, they've been known about for weeks.

10 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Yep, with only 53 spots it's hard to find room but it's not like either injury popped up in practice this week, they've been known about for weeks.

Choosing to add a RB like Jonathan Williams off the WW releases (even though it was to the PS for now at that 510k salary, he seems destined to be activated sometime this season), seemed like a no cost move, but people miss on the concept of opportunity cost - by choosing to take the RB, we pass on shoring up our DE depth.   That's a very iffy decision now - but it was also pretty obvious run D is still our major Achilles on our D.  

It was debatable to not address 3-4 DE more after we missed on Calais Campbell and Chris Bakee and finding out the NT market was insanely overpriced for the top 3 difference makers.   But to not address it further after Wolfe went down beyond 1 addition and being OK with Harris/Crick/Gotsis as our only guys and 1active NT, knowing Kerr was out at least a couple of weeks is mind boggling.   Man I hope Gotsis is a lot readier than he looked in his PS time against 1st stringers.  He's bigger and getting better but still got pushed around by starting OL all PS long.  

Archived