Week 3 GDT: Raiders @ Vikings

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I'm 53 and been a fan since 1972. Those teams were so dominant. Most of the posters here probably don't know what the glory decades were like. Especially Superbowl XI😉

I attended Superbowl XI.  My buddies from Oakland got tickets, came to LA where I was living at the time, slept on my floor and I got to go.  A memory I will never forget.

• Like 5

Well, it's just a couple more days until game time!  It's always fun when it's Vikings/Raiders week because the Raiders have one of the best fanbases on this site.  You guys have been through a lot, but you stay loyal to your team and you've got to respect that.  I am also a big Jon Gruden fan, so it's nice to get his takes on the matchups and so forth.

The Vikings are probably going to be favored, but don't let that get you down.  I think it was Week 3 last year when we were HUGE favorites against Buffalo too and they ended up taking us to the woodshed and giving us a good thumping. 

As far as weak spots on the Vikings, as roi34 just wrote above, our interior offensive line is definitely still a work in progress and it's an area that could very well be exploited.  It also sounds like your defense is great against the run, so since you are strong in that area you could very well be creating headaches for our offense all day. 

Another area to look at is our usually very deep cornerback corps.  We are missing a few key players here.  Second-year player Mike Hughes may be back for this game, and that would help our depth, but he hasn't played in a whole year so there is probably going to be some rust to deal with there.

Anyway, best of luck this week and for the rest of the year.  It will be great watching the Gruden era continue it's development over the next few years as you move into your new home in LV.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Well, it's just a couple more days until game time!  It's always fun when it's Vikings/Raiders week because the Raiders have one of the best fanbases on this site.  You guys have been through a lot, but you stay loyal to your team and you've got to respect that.  I am also a big Jon Gruden fan, so it's nice to get his takes on the matchups and so forth.

The Vikings are probably going to be favored, but don't let that get you down.  I think it was Week 3 last year when we were HUGE favorites against Buffalo too and they ended up taking us to the woodshed and giving us a good thumping. 

As far as weak spots on the Vikings, as roi34 just wrote above, our interior offensive line is definitely still a work in progress and it's an area that could very well be exploited.  It also sounds like your defense is great against the run, so since you are strong in that area you could very well be creating headaches for our offense all day. 

Another area to look at is our usually very deep cornerback corps.  We are missing a few key players here.  Second-year player Mike Hughes may be back for this game, and that would help our depth, but he hasn't played in a whole year so there is probably going to be some rust to deal with there.

Anyway, best of luck this week and for the rest of the year.  It will be great watching the Gruden era continue it's development over the next few years as you move into your new home in LV.

Hopefully no bad injuries and good game. 

• Like 3

Need Trent Brown to play. Carr has to stand in that packet and makes plays. The chances will be there against a banged up Vikings secondary. 

Saw a stat on twitter saying the Raiders are 5th best in points per drive on opening drive and 27th best after that. Gruden needs to do better. 

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Skol

So Trent Brown is questionable and Good hurt his ankle at practice yesterday! Could be looking at a new starting right side (Gruden mentioned Devey to RG) against a very good Vikings dline. Jacobs had the most success running to the right. I don't like our chances in this one.

Joyner is questionable as well. Not sure who else can play the nickel. Nixon? Might have to promote Nick Nelson from the PS.

Edited by oakdb36

The more I think about it the more I think we are going to get blown off the field, especially since we are banged up seemingly everywhere. 

We only have 3 weapons on offense. Waller, Jacobs and Williams. Two of those are banged up. The rest of our WR core is trash. Richard and Dwash are both 3rd down backs who are prone to fumbling.

I can see that team being fired up after a close loss to GB, which really they had every opportunity to win and probably should've. Cousins just crapped the bed. That's our only hope is Cousins crapping the bed. 

I'm gonna say 34 - 17 Vikings. Carr throws multiple picks again and the pressure starts to really mount on him.

• Like 1