We're Fine!

BleedTheClock

Man oh man people are freaking the hell out recently.

1. Baker Mayfield will be fine. He doesn't need to get a divorce for God's sake. He's played two very good defenses.

2. Our OL is what it is. I don't think it's THAT bad to where we couldn't make a deep playoff run with them.

3. We are still gelling. We have a ton of young guys with high expectations. They're going to take some time to blossom.

People are whining too much. It's like we're spoiled despite having an absolute garbage team for years. We're going to be fine and hitting the panic button right now is incredibly premature. Sit back and enjoy the season guys.

• Like 8

EXACTLY......

We have sucked for 20 plus years so all that fans want an iron clad guarantee that we will win and convincingly every Sunday......

Not ever gonna happen.

Good point, BTC, about the quality of the defenses that Baker has faced. Tennessee is much better than originally thought, and Gregg Williams always gives a defense a chance. The flip side to that is everyone is singing Lamar Jackson's praises. Well - he has faced the Dolphins and the Cardinals........

Not exactly the reincarnation of the Monsters of the Midway defense.

I think we got a glimpse last Monday of the rust coming off of Odell. This team has enough talent to have the pass set up the run and vice versa. The schedule the first half of the season is much more difficult than the second half of it.

We will be fine.....

I don't want to be fine, I want to be great. True, the sky is not caving in, and we have an excellent chance to be better than we were under our previous regimes, but that (home opener!) performance against Tennessee was straight up embarrassing, and we easily should have beat those depleted Jets anyway. I'm not going to put on rose colored glasses and say Mayfield looks super accurate, or our offensive play calling is stellar, or we don't have too many penalties, or our O-Line is nothing to be concerned about. If we play like we've been playing, we'll be fine at best, but fine will get us to 8-8 at best.

We need to step up and exceed the hype if we're to go where I want to go this season - we don't look like a playoff team from the small 2 game sample size...let's go out and be that team. 

Edited by dawgdish
  • Like 2

Anything short of the playoffs will be disappointing. I'm not shocked that the offense is taking a little while to gel - I and at least a few others on here said it could take some time for our offense to really get going. I do think they'll ultimately get it together, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried at all. We've seen flashes of how good this offense can be, but they've also had their moments of looking pretty bad.

But hey, we won 23-3 on the road during primetime. Yes, it was against a mediocre to bad Jets team that was dealing with injuries (although it's not like we were completely healthy either), but a 20-point win is a 20-point win. If we can do that when we clearly didn't play a great game, then we should have something to look forward to once we get it together. However, if we don't get it together soon, then these next few weeks could get ugly.

With that said, I'm definitely excited for the Rams game. It'll obvious be a huge test for us. I don't expect a win, but I hope we at least make it a good game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Jesus Christ we just finished week 2

Our offence looks worse than it did last year. The players aren't happy with their performances the first two games. The sky isn't falling or anything, but to be happy with our offence so far, or calling it "fine" is asinine. Baker has been put in positions he's not comfortable in, we were barely able to snap the ball in time on Monday.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I just feel like if we lose to the Rams we’re gonna have people freaking the F out. It doesn’t mean we’re missing the playoffs or that we aren’t a legit contender. This team will hit their stride around week 6 and go on a nightmarish tear. 

Of course we'll have people freaking out if we lose. Are you not familiar with this forum? ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Jesus Christ we just finished week 2

So much this!

I’ve  told you guys for awhile, if we finish 4-4 after 8 games I’ll be a happy camper. The schedule gets easier from there. I fully expect us to be fully gelled by then and steamrolling. 

Yeah 2 games. Mmmm hmmm. Baker is garbage and we have a rival 2nd year qb going to the hall of fame. When will people learn?