Packers Trade Trevor Davis to Raiders

TheBitzMan

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's not how you evaluate personnel moves

It is exactly how we evaluate here on this board. I don't believe that any of us board members have any info as to why Gute and CO made the decision to move on. All we can do is best guesses. We evaluate based on what we see and as you noted previously the 68 yard Davis has is nothing to write home about. There were a couple mistakes made by Shep that were something Davis may not have done but that happens players make plays both positive and negative. I am not saying it was a right or wrong decision. Lets just not make it was it isn't we are talking about WR 5 and a PR'r.

But to lean as far as OP is a bit silly and leaning to fat the other way is as well. Davis was a 5th rounder that we likely were not going to re-sign.

I would believe in consideration of the decision that Gute and MLF thought what we had left in house was more then adequate enough to make up for the loss of Davis at all the jobs and positions he fulfilled for the Pack.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

It is exactly how we evaluate here on this board. I don't believe that any of us board members have any info as to why Gute and CO made the decision to move on. All we can do is best guesses. We evaluate based on what we see and as you noted previously the 68 yard Davis has is nothing to write home about. There were a couple mistakes made by Shep that were something Davis may not have done but that happens players make plays both positive and negative. I am not saying it was a right or wrong decision. Lets just not make it was it isn't we are talking about WR 5 and a PR'r.

But to lean as far as OP is a bit silly and leaning to fat the other way is as well. Davis was a 5th rounder that we likely were not going to re-sign.

I would believe in consideration of the decision that Gute and MLF thought what we had left in house was more then adequate enough to make up for the loss of Davis at all the jobs and positions he fulfilled for the Pack.

Davis has had a positive impact for OAK. Maybe it's small, but it's pretty clear he's been better than what Shep has done. Even if he didn't lose us a game yet. All that for a 6th.

If Shep muffs a punt in the playoffs and we lose, hey at least we got a 6th, that we would have maybe gotten in comp anyways...

Just not worth it in a year like this.

Yeah we don't know why he did it, that's why it's such a discussion. It didn't seem to have any purpose in a season where you feel like you're in contention, you have a solid guy there, nobody behind him with experience. I mean, Shep is a ******* tryout player who made it. And then you get a pick that has a 10% chance at best of being anything worth a ****. 

I feel like the only people complaining this is still a thing are people who thought Davis sucked because he didn't get huge amazing electrifying returns that stuck in their brain. I think you (maybe it was Joe) that returns are dying in this thread somewhere. And it just doesn't matter. Yeah, well you still gotta catch punts. At least I trusted Davis to do that. Even though supposedly according to people here he fair caught 999 punts at the 1 inch line in his career here.

Edited by Norm

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Davis has had a positive impact for OAK. Maybe it's small, but it's pretty clear he's been better than what Shep has done. Even if he didn't lose us a game yet. All that for a 6th.

If Shep muffs a punt in the playoffs and we lose, hey at least we got a 6th, that we would have maybe gotten in comp anyways...

Yep Davis has and Shep was close to having an impact. Had AR seen him getting absolutely wide open against the Iggles maybe we win that game. Shep was also pretty open on the facemmask INT job.

I get what some are saying i just think it's a bit much. Davis for a 6th nice move for me.That 6th has a plan already for Gute.

He's a good punt returner that i do agree with. I just don't think that is as much as a game changer as some do. Just fair catch it and let the offence get to work.

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Yep Davis has and Shep was close to having an impact. Had AR seen him getting absolutely wide open against the Iggles maybe we win that game. Shep was also pretty open on the facemmask INT job.

I get what some are saying i just think it's a bit much. Davis for a 6th nice move for me.That 6th has a plan already for Gute.

He's a good punt returner that i do agree with. I just don't think that is as much as a game changer as some do. Just fair catch it and let the offence get to work.

A. If Shep can FC every punt, where it makes sense and let's the others go. I'm all good. But he already looked like an idiot once and I'm just worried.

B. You say it's a bit much, let me put it this way. If you could go back, knowing what we know now. Would you still do the deal or just hold on to Davis? Because that's kind of what I'm saying. I wasn't all that mad at the time. I was just like um, okay then? And figured we'd just sign some PR or something and got a pick out of it. I can't trust the NDSU kid in the playoffs in big spots, I'm def gonna be worried.

28 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

That's a terrible way to evaluate anything on a football field. Individual players don't win or lose games. 

When did we start evaluating General Managers based on their intentions? Correctly evaluating your own roster and the opportunity cost of making moves is in the job description.

• Like 1

The Davis cut was a mistake.  I mean good lord teams are deliberately kicking off to Sheppard; the fact that they would prefer he try to return it from the 5 than take a touchback should tell you pretty much what you need to know.  The fact that the strategy is working for our opponents like gangbusters is when you can't do anything else but accept that mistakes were made, and that's without even going into the muffed punt return and the INT.  

That being said, Davis was gone next year anyway.  Keeping him may have kept Lazard off the field longer, and while I think Davis is probably a better receiver this year than Lazard that could pay dividends long term.  Additionally, I still like Shep and think we'll get some kind of value out of him yet, although that could have been true with Davis still on the team.  

Honestly I just can't bring myself to care too much.  It's the kind of thing that happens.  Gute's handling of the WR position has been baffling to me since April, but he's done a good job all around and he's a second year GM; there's still plenty of learning to do.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Norm said:

A. If Shep can FC every punt, where it makes sense and let's the others go. I'm all good. But he already looked like an idiot once and I'm just worried.

B. You say it's a bit much, let me put it this way. If you could go back, knowing what we know now. Would you still do the deal or just hold on to Davis? Because that's kind of what I'm saying. I wasn't all that mad at the time. I was just like um, okay then? And figured we'd just sign some PR or something and got a pick out of it. I can't trust the NDSU kid in the playoffs in big spots, I'm def gonna be worried.

I hear ya, and yes I take that deal with Oakland and trade him.

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's a terrible way to evaluate anything on a football field. Individual players don't win or lose games. 

When did we start evaluating General Managers based on their intentions? Correctly evaluating your own roster and the opportunity cost of making moves is in the job description.

AG Ty Montgomery says WTH AG. You're on AR quite a bit for his ability to lose a game. You like having your cake and eating it too.

Clearly the FO was ok making the decision as Davis was traded. I did not evaluate on an intention it was a fact i noted my best guess that they were ok with it and what they had in house. I  can't suggest that because a few form posters disagree and think the trade was a mistake that Gute and CO see things the same way. Heck I don't see it has Shep been great no but nor has Davis here or in Oakland. He fumbled at the 1 yard line against the Bears and almost lost them that game. 

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

It's VERY rare I think I could outdo a professional athlete .

I'd have done better on both those plays.

🤷

I am quite certain your bettering of Shep would have been much worse! If we could get a 6 for you, you'd be in Oakland already.

Edited by PACKRULE

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Yeah we don't know why he did it, that's why it's such a discussion. It didn't seem to have any purpose in a season where you feel like you're in contention, you have a solid guy there, nobody behind him with experience. I mean, Shep is a ******* tryout player who made it. And then you get a pick that has a 10% chance at best of being anything worth a ****. 

I feel like the only people complaining this is still a thing are people who thought Davis sucked because he didn't get huge amazing electrifying returns that stuck in their brain. I think you (maybe it was Joe) that returns are dying in this thread somewhere. And it just doesn't matter. Yeah, well you still gotta catch punts. At least I trusted Davis to do that. Even though supposedly according to people here he fair caught 999 punts at the 1 inch line in his career here.

Sorry Norm i didn't mean to miss your post.

Some good points Davis has had a couple nice plays for Oakland and some bad plays as well. One of the things that hits me now how is his blocking if he blocks like crap that may also be why MLF and Gute were ok trading him. I thought he was a really nice punt returner I did myself and had high hopes for the kid. Just didn't really do much else and who knows Lazzard and Shep may have been really out performing him in practice. I do not agree though that Shep is just terrible. He had a couple bad plays yes so have a few others plays. Go read the thread on Gary and or the AR threads.

I am still trying to be positive on Shep like him a bit more in the slot then Davis i think he's a bit shiftier and just looks better than Davis does to me.

Go pack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

AG Ty Montgomery says WTH AG. You're on AR quite a bit for his ability to lose a game. You like having your cake and eating it too.

Clearly the FO was ok making the decision as Davis was traded. I did not evaluate on an intention it was a fact i noted my best guess that they were ok with it and what they had in house. I  can't suggest that because a few form posters disagree and think the trade was a mistake that Gute and CO see things the same way. Heck I don't see it has Shep been great no but nor has Davis here or in Oakland. He fumbled at the 1 yard line against the Bears and almost lost them that game. 

Ty Montgomery has never lost a game single handedly. In the Rams game I'm sure you're referring to, the Defense allowed 29 points. There's 120ish plays in an NFL game. One play doesn't outweigh the other 119.

I've never claimed Rodgers has lost a game by himself. There's 32 other guys playing semi-regular snaps. It's a team sport. 

Sheppard committed more turnovers in one game than Davis did his entire career as a Packer. 

5 minutes ago, firstdown said:

Davis' end around for a 60 yard touchdown was the difference in a 31-24 game for Oakland.

Yep forgot about that play. It put them up 14-0 and then never looked back in that game or were behind. He also fumbled on the 1 yard line against the Bears did he not?

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Yep forgot about that play. It put them up 14-0 and then never looked back in that game or were behind. He also fumbled on the 1 yard line against the Bears did he not?

That was less of a fumble, and more of a great play by the defender. Davis had both hands on the ball, and was holding tight enough that you could see his arms move when the ball was punched out. Fumbling, or being stripped of the ball, is different than having it punched out. There's almost no defense for a perfectly placed punch.