Packers Trade Trevor Davis to Raiders

TheBitzMan

5 hours ago, SSG said:

Mixed feelings about this though it's got something to do with unknowns in regard to the newly rostered player.  Nice to get a pick for a guy who almost surely wasn't going to be retained next year.  Unless he blows up I can't imagine him signing a contract that would have gotten us a comp pick that was any higher.

Didn't think Davis had a good game last week.  Should have waved for a fair catch on the first punt that he got decleated on and waved for one later in the game that he should have let go.  He ended up getting a PF on the second one for blocking after he waved for it (though it didn't end up hurting us).

Watch the replay again, the decleating wasn't Davis' fault at all last Sunday. We had a blocker IN FRONT of that Minnesota gunner. He was in perfect position to block him. That's what Davis saw when he looked downfield before he caught the ball. That's why Davis caught that one, he had a blocker in position for the gunner.

Instead, 15 yards from Davis (after Davis looked downfield), our blocker peeled off to the right, stopped, turned around and assumed a blocking position without hitting anyone. Leaving a wide open gunner 15 yards to run full speed right into an unsuspecting Davis.  

If our blocker did his job, that was a 25 yard + return. The field was wide open to the right, and that's where Davis was starting to go.

Davis made the right decision on that one.

Edited by firstdown
wrong team

The 6th in 2020 is nice, but the Packers  are slow at WR. IF MVS isn't on the field, the WRs are are a bunch of turtles. This has been a problem since Jordy popped his ACL, and the WRs have had a hard time getting open since then... What a weird coincidence that is.

1 hour ago, firstdown said:

Watch the replay again, the decleating wasn't Davis' fault at all last Sunday. We had a blocker IN FRONT of that Cleveland gunner. He was in perfect position to block him. That's what Davis saw when he looked downfield before he caught the ball. That's why Davis caught that one, he had a blocker in position for the gunner.

Instead, 15 yards from Davis (after Davis looked downfield), our blocker peeled off to the right, stopped, turned around and assumed a blocking position without hitting anyone. Leaving a wide open Cleveland gunner 15 yards to run full speed right into an unsuspecting Davis.  

If our blocker did his job, that was a 25 yard + return. The field was wide open to the right, and that's where Davis was starting to go.

Davis made the right decision on that one.

Did I miss a week? I thought we'd only played Chicago and Minnesota. Did we beat Cleveland? I'm more confused than ever. I don't mind Davis being gone because he always went down at first Contact.

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

The 6th in 2020 is nice, but the Packers  are slow at WR. IF MVS isn't on the field, the WRs are are a bunch of turtles. This has been a problem since Jordy popped his ACL, and the WRs have had a hard time getting open since then... What a weird coincidence that is.

I don't think speed is the problem, Adams isn't the fastest guy but his route running/get off is so good he doesn't need speed to win. Guys need to run better routes, and Rodgers needs to find the open guys more often. Gute has added a ton of speed at WR with MVS, EQ, previously Moore. We also kept Davis/Shepard so it's not like we are exempt of speed. Allison/Kumerow are truly the only slower guys at WR.

41 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Did I miss a week? I thought we'd only played Chicago and Minnesota. Did we beat Cleveland? I'm more confused than ever. I don't mind Davis being gone because he always went down at first Contact.

Haha, Cleveland, Minnesota, shoot, I hardly know what day it is. But I am referring to last week's Minnesota game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed.
The whole "10 yard line" thing went away years ago when the Aussie punting style came to the NFL

I might have miscounted by one or two but it looks like 19 of 90 fair catches this year so far were at the 10 yard line or worse. 

The more I think about it the more I think trading Davis for a draft pick was the right thing to do. I liked Davis but being brutally honest he was going to be a free agent next year and was unlikely to be re-signed and as a result we would get nothing for him. Why not get something for him now and let other players on the roster have a shot at the return job. Can't complain with that thought process.

I lol when people think our offence is fine speed-wise. Other than MVS we have no blazers. Adams is just about quick enough. EQ is quick for his size but compared to his WR peers he is distinctly average. Shepherd, Lazard and Kumerow aren't particularly quick. Even the new guy Hatcher is slow. Our TEs are meh. All our RBs aren't blazers. So across the board we do indeed have a collective speed issue. If Gute's approach to building the defence is anything to go by then we can fairly confidentially say he will look to sort out the speed issues on offense next year.

Top 16 receivers in yards last year

Julio (4.39)

Hopkins (4.57)

Evans (4.53)

Hill (4.28) pro day

JuJu (4.54)

Thomas (4.55)

Adams (4.56)

Thielen (4.45) pro day

Brown (4.47)

Hilton (4.34) pro day

Woods (4.51)

Cooks (4.33)

Allen (4.73) injured?

Golladay (4.50)

Beckham (4.43)

Boyd (4.58)

+++

Average: 4.49

Can we please stop with the "burner" stuff?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I just don’t like this move with ESB on IR.  Davis, contrary to popular belief, was a damn sure punt fielder and he’d shown strong ability in big returns.  I know I’m in the minority, but I liked Davis and I hope he does well in Oakland.

Not sure you are in the minority or contrary to popular belief.  I feel exactly as you do.

And...I will watch Davis and see what he does, now that he has opportunity.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think Davis's poor run blocking with little room for improvement played a small role in the trade. Lafluer stressed how he wanted his WRs to be better in run blocking on the outside. I think the roster is being more fine-tuned to fit scheme.

I think Menenga is simply bending his philosophy to the way the refs have been calling kick returns for the last two years. Plan to fair catch. Plan to always leave it in the end zone.  They call a penalty on every return. Why start at the 8 yard line when you get the 25 automatically.  Same on punts. Take what you get and be satisfied and just give the ball to Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Not sure you are in the minority or contrary to popular belief.  I feel exactly as you do.

And...I will watch Davis and see what he does, now that he has opportunity.

This will be interesting to see.  Rodgers basically called Davis a tease a week or so ago.  They apparently have seen glimpses from him, but he's never able to sustain it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This will be interesting to see.  Rodgers basically called Davis a tease a week or so ago.  They apparently have seen glimpses from him, but he's never able to sustain it.

That's what he's been the entire time he's been here. His route-running is stiff, he is one of the least physical receivers out there, and he's only productive as a RS; a position that's slowly being phased out of the game due to new rules that are implemented almost annually.

11 hours ago, Donzo said:

A lot of that had to do with MM's offensive scheme by calling nothing but chunk yardage plays the majority of the time.

20 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'll take the other side here.

GB built a little gameplan around his speed in the pre-season.  Davis delivered.

We haven't seen him used at all like that through two games.  Small sample size, tough opponents...etc.  (AND YES, WE ARE 2-0!!!)

But I'll say this....yes, he isn't physical.  Yes he was a plus in specials.  Yes he was a plus considering his draft status.  And no, he wasn't going to get starters snaps here for a real opportunity.  Yes, it was a good trade from Gute.  Best to get something for him.  And yes we have younger WR's that have shown enough in camp to see if they can progress quicker and better than Davis did.

And I won't bad mouth Davis on his way out.  And I do hope he makes the most of his opportunity in Oakland.

• Like 5