Justin Fields

Mox

Like Trevor Lawrence, Field had a ton of hype coming into college. After his commitment to UGA he didn't play as much as some might have expected and he transferred to Ohio State. Now, he's posting some crazy numbers in his first year as a starter. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to watch him much. Does Fields look the part of a big time pro prospect or are the big numbers system/talent based? Physically he seems to have everything you could ever want in a QB. How does he compare to Trevor?

Edited by Bullet Club

I mean he was the #1 prospect in the country, ahead of Lawrence who was #2, in 2018 so acting like his success is based on the weapons is a little off. He definitely has the skill to go along with the athleticism.

Athletically he is a hybrid of JT Barrett and Braxton Miller. He runs with the breakaway ability like Braxton had, but also has some power and size to him to run through defenders on the goal line like Barrett did. Hes 6'3" 225 and runs a 4.5 forty at QB. So he is a little taller/bigger/faster than what Deshaun Watson was at Clemson.

From a passing standpoint at least what I have seen in the first few weeks is that he is a guy who stereotypically "can make all the throws". He has hit some great throws over the past few weeks that NFL level guys will love and he seems to be very accurate in the intermediate game on 10-15 yard routes. There have been throws where you can see him place the ball in the redzone where only his guys can get it and away from the DBs to score which is a nice trait to see from a 'pro prospect' level passer.

Who knows though, lets see what happens with a full year under his belt and how he grows as the season goes on with refinement. Right now he seems to have a really nice blend of skill from the pocket to go along with great athleticism 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean he was the #1 prospect in the country, ahead of Lawrence who was #2, in 2018 so acting like his success is based on the weapons is a little off. He definitely has the skill to go along with the athleticism.

that's not an argument at all. Lots of top ranked recruits bust. 

Just now, SBLIII said:

that's not an argument at all. Lots of top ranked recruits bust. 

Not saying they dont, but Justin Fields in 3 games has 657 yards, 9 TDs and 0 INTs with a 70% completion rate while adding another 114 rushing yards and 4 TDs on the ground. Thats 771 yards, 13 TDs and 0 turnovers this season. Not sure why anything about him becoming a bust would be a discussion.

• Like 4

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Not saying they dont, but Justin Fields in 3 games has 657 yards, 9 TDs and 0 INTs with a 70% completion rate while adding another 114 rushing yards and 4 TDs on the ground. Thats 771 yards, 13 TDs and 0 turnovers this season. Not sure why anything about him becoming a bust would be a discussion.

not saying that he is, he is a good player and in the Heisman conversation.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Athletically he is a hybrid of JT Barrett and Braxton Miller. He runs with the breakaway ability like Braxton had, but also has some power and size to him to run through defenders on the goal line like Barrett did. Hes 6'3" 225 and runs a 4.5 forty at QB. So he is a little taller/bigger/faster than what Deshaun Watson was at Clemson.

From a passing standpoint at least what I have seen in the first few weeks is that he is a guy who stereotypically "can make all the throws". He has hit some great throws over the past few weeks that NFL level guys will love and he seems to be very accurate in the intermediate game on 10-15 yard routes. There have been throws where you can see him place the ball in the redzone where only his guys can get it and away from the DBs to score which is a nice trait to see from a 'pro prospect' level passer.

Who knows though, lets see what happens with a full year under his belt and how he grows as the season goes on with refinement. Right now he seems to have a really nice blend of skill from the pocket to go along with great athleticism 

Fields has looked great this year but it has been up against some bad defenses without top end talent.  Will see how he looks against Michigan State and some others.  Looks like a different QB compared to what he did on Georgia last year which is impressive and has all this season and next to continue that progression.  Maybe that is Day's system I do not know, but my guess is Day will be in the NFL shortly, especially if this year goes well and next.  If Haskins has success at Washington that will help Field's stock also.   Because there might be something to that system no doubt that makes them look good but that is still up int he air, with all the WR talent they had last year which was nuts and this year which is just as loaded arguably.  Tons of guys who have speed and can take a little pass and get big time yards without much QB effort made.

One thing Fields does have a slower release that is a long delivery, is not super accurate at times but in the NFL of today if some top QBs go down or retire in the next two years Fields will easily be a top 15 selection in 2021.  He is not Deshaun Watson though, Watson was far more accurate but sure that would be the ideal for Fields to become someone like Watson.  Not sure he has the leadership ability or charisma Watson has.

Just with the short happenings of the start of the NFL season, teams have already looked like they could be in big time need of a QB this year in 2020 draft or next in 2021 with the Dolphins, Steelers, Saints, Bucs, Colts and possibly Panthers.  Heck even Jacksonville or the Broncos depending on how things shake out, just a backup developmental QB would be needed also with the likes of the Packers, Vikings, Jets, Eagles, Titans, Texans and Seattle.  

So what looked like a pretty stacked QB room in terms of starters across the NFL sure has changed quickly.

41 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fields has looked great this year but it has been up against some bad defenses without top end talent.  Will see how he looks against Michigan State and some others.  Looks like a different QB compared to what he did on Georgia last year which is impressive and has all this season and next to continue that progression.  Maybe that is Day's system I do not know, but my guess is Day will be in the NFL shortly, especially if this year goes well and next.  If Haskins has success at Washington that will help Field's stock also.   Because there might be something to that system no doubt that makes them look good but that is still up int he air, with all the WR talent they had last year which was nuts and this year which is just as loaded arguably.  Tons of guys who have speed and can take a little pass and get big time yards without much QB effort made.

One thing Fields does have a slower release that is a long delivery, is not super accurate at times but in the NFL of today if some top QBs go down or retire in the next two years Fields will easily be a top 15 selection in 2021.  He is not Deshaun Watson though, Watson was far more accurate but sure that would be the ideal for Fields to become someone like Watson.  Not sure he has the leadership ability or charisma Watson has.

Just with the short happenings of the start of the NFL season, teams have already looked like they could be in big time need of a QB this year in 2020 draft or next in 2021 with the Dolphins, Steelers, Saints, Bucs, Colts and possibly Panthers.  Heck even Jacksonville or the Broncos depending on how things shake out, just a backup developmental QB would be needed also with the likes of the Packers, Vikings, Jets, Eagles, Titans, Texans and Seattle.  

So what looked like a pretty stacked QB room in terms of starters across the NFL sure has changed quickly.

Ryan Day was the QB coach on the Eagles and then after the 49ers. He was hired onto the Buckeyes after his year with San Fran in 2017 so he already has NFL experience working with pro QBs. Im sure thats why Haskins/Fields have both looked very good and play much more like pocket passing 'pro style' QBs compared to others like Barrett/Cardale/Braxton who were Meyers guys.

As soon as Day came in even as a OC you could tell with Haskins that OSU played a completely different style of offense compared to years past. It was more pocket passing than any system I have seen since Troy Smith

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ryan Day was the QB coach on the Eagles and then after the 49ers. He was hired onto the Buckeyes after his year with San Fran in 2017 so he already has NFL experience working with pro QBs. Im sure thats why Haskins/Fields have both looked very good and play much more like pocket passing 'pro style' QBs compared to others like Barrett/Cardale/Braxton who were Meyers guys.

As soon as Day came in even as a OC you could tell with Haskins that OSU played a completely different style of offense compared to years past. It was more pocket passing than any system I have seen since Troy Smith

True but Haskins was a pure passer and looked it even when he played against Michigan as a RS FR.  They changed because they did what he was good at also.  Barrett and Braxton were never pure passers and more obvious duel threats.  Also neither one was ever a big time legit QB prospect, same with Cardale.  

Day was with Kelly and Kelly basically failed big time in the NFL I would say so that might keep him out of the league just based on that.  But with how desperate owners are to find the next offensive Sean McVay young coach type, I would not be surprised if Day is lured away to the NFL this year or next.  I believe the QB play is helped by Day's system sure but what really helps is the weapons they are throwing to do make them look potentially better than they actually are but will see if that is the case or not.  

For example on Ohio State last year, one might arguably have seven WRs in the NFL off that team.  Campbell, McLaurin, Dixon, Victor, Olave, Hill and Mack.  To say that has nothing to do with some level of the QBs success is just not accurate.  Ohio State looks amazing this year but there is still a long season left, they are the clear favorites to win the Big Ten this year though especially with how improved that D is and how solid that OL has looked, not to mention Fields of course also playing well to start.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but Haskins was a pure passer and looked it even when he played against Michigan as a RS FR.  They changed because they did what he was good at also.  Barrett and Braxton were never pure passers and more obvious duel threats.  Also neither one was ever a big time legit QB prospect, same with Cardale.  

Day was with Kelly and Kelly basically failed big time in the NFL I would say so that might keep him out of the league just based on that.  But with how desperate owners are to find the next offensive Sean McVay young coach type, I would not be surprised if Day is lured away to the NFL this year or next.  I believe the QB play is helped by Day's system sure but what really helps is the weapons they are throwing to do make them look potentially better than they actually are but will see if that is the case or not.  

For example on Ohio State last year, one might arguably have seven WRs in the NFL off that team.  Campbell, McLaurin, Dixon, Victor, Olave, Hill and Mack.  To say that has nothing to do with some level of the QBs success is just not accurate.  Ohio State looks amazing this year but there is still a long season left, they are the clear favorites to win the Big Ten this year though especially with how improved that D is and how solid that OL has looked, not to mention Fields of course also playing well to start.  

I mean yeah, but how is that any different than Clemson WRs with Lawrence/Watson and Alabama WRs with Hurts/Tua? OSU might have better depth, but the top threats on Clem/Bama are consistently superior to OSU with the likes of Hopkins, Mike Williams, Renfroe, Sammy Watkins, OJ Howard, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy and Calvin Ridley.  

Ohio State in that same span has had Michael Thomas aaaaaaaaand Devin Smith?

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean yeah, but how is that any different than Clemson WRs with Lawrence/Watson and Alabama WRs with Hurts/Tua? OSU might have better depth, but the top threats on Clem/Bama are consistently superior to OSU with the likes of Hopkins, Mike Williams, Renfroe, Sammy Watkins, OJ Howard, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy and Calvin Ridley.  

Ohio State in that same span has had Michael Thomas aaaaaaaaand Devin Smith?

It is the same in a way sure.  But still none of those teams had 7 guys in the NFL potentially down the road that all play WR on one team all at the same time like last season for Ohio State.  Sure Bama has four right now, same with Clemson but 7 last year for Ohio State was pretty impressive.  Not to mention Ohio State has never produced a solid NFL starting QB ever which is a surprise over their long history.  

To me compared to Tua, Lawrence and Watson regardless of who they are throwing to, Fields has a long ways to go to be on the same level as they are.  He is better than Hurts though in terms of overall upside from the improvement he has shown this year.  Will see how Fields does when things get tight, he gets pressured and things are not so easy as they have been the first three weeks, and even this up coming week will be pretty easy again with Miami OH.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

It is the same in a way sure.  But still none of those teams had 7 guys in the NFL potentially down the road that all play WR on one team all at the same time like last season for Ohio State.  Sure Bama has four right now, same with Clemson but 7 last year for Ohio State was pretty impressive.  Not to mention Ohio State has never produced a solid NFL starting QB ever which is a surprise over their long history.  

To me compared to Tua, Lawrence and Watson regardless of who they are throwing to, Fields has a long ways to go to be on the same level as they are.  He is better than Hurts though in terms of overall upside from the improvement he has shown this year.  Will see how Fields does when things get tight, he gets pressured and things are not so easy as they have been the first three weeks, and even this up coming week will be pretty easy again with Miami OH.

It doesn't matter if there are 7 WRs with NFL potential on the roster when at most only 5 can be on the field and normally only 4 due to having an elite RB they want to use to keep defenses honest.  I mean it's like saying last year Georgia and Alabama had 2 QBs with NFL potential on their roster.  The depth doesn't actually matter unless someone got hurt because only 1 of them were going to be on the field and playing at a time.

• Like 1