It’s times for Danny Dimes!

Gmen

6 hours ago, Forge said:
6 hours ago, The LBC said:

Danny Dimes?  So-named for his 10-cent arm?

It's apparently a legit nickname

I am trying really hard to change it to Fumble Jones... ya know, seeing as he has fumbled in every game/preseason game he has played in. (i dont know if this is true)

22 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Arians has come out and said what any sane coach would say and he is going to focus on stopping Saquon first and foremost. If I'm Shurmur, I'm coming out throwing and giving Jones the easiest transition he can have by basically stealing Cutcliffe's playbook and building off of it week by week. Jones should be taking about 90% of his snaps out of shotgun- he's more comfortable in it and sees the field better from it. We should have Saquon next to him about 80% of those snaps and have a run-pass option on every play. From there, start slinging. Those LBs have to respect the run and have to step up. Jones shouldn't have the ball in his hand longer than 3 seconds on any snap in the first quarter. Let him develop a rhythm and some confidence and keep the defense from pinning their ears back to keep him safe.

Will any of that work? Who knows. But I think it would be a good transition for him from college for his first NFL start, may actually move the ball, and could be what we actually see from Shurmur on Sunday.

I think we see a conservative but efficient statline from Jones on Sunday- about 65% completion, but a low YPA. I think it is definitely likely he throws his first touchdown this game, and I'd bet he is more likely to fumble than throw a pick.

Good luck running against that front. Pretty much completely stopped both the 49ers and Panthers run games.

Will need to have success through the air against them anyways if the Giants are to win this game. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Didn't say you did or didn't disagree with it. I'm more commenting on what the Giants will have to do to win the game. 

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm not anticipating a win, but there is always a slight advantage when playing a rookie QB that no one has tape on, and the Bucs are 1-4 in their last 5 games against rookie QBs. I think we may see a very different Giants offense that keeps us competitive in this one.

I don't know what to expect for Daniel Jones during his first few games, but I hope he is able to exceed the very low expectations so many of us had when he was drafted.  It sounds like the Giants are confident in his abilities and he did look good in the snaps he got during the preseason, so there are reasons to be optimistic about his chances to have at least a good NFL career.  Best of luck to Giants fans moving into this new chapter in the history of your storied franchise!   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Giants are getting Sterling Sheppard back this week. Also rookie Darius Slayton is likely to make his debut. He allegedly has some wheels. Would love to see Slayton establish a rapport with Jones early. 

If the rookie throws his first touchdown pass to a rookie catching his first touchdown, who keeps the ball?