GDT "Monday Night Football" Edition: Bears & Redskins 9/23/19

beardown3231

Nagy needs to find a happier medium between the wide open week 1 offense and the training wheels stuff from week 2.

Keep the running, play action, and designed roll outs.

But also give us some designed deeper shots and for the love of god make it someone other than Robinson, who gets a ton of defensive attention, or Gabriel, who is too damned small.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Can the Bears' D continue to carry the team if need be?

Can the Bears' O get rolling and expose the weak Washington secondary?

Will Nagy test the aforementioned weak Skins' secondary and take some shots?

We will find out on Monday at 7:15!

Same bat time, same bat channel!

I am very early into offensive game review.

... But with early game review and watching live I have these early opinions on offense:

Davis doesn't need to play.   It should be all Montgomery and Cohen.  Davis only in emergencies or if both are winded.  I think that is clear now.  

Mitch needs to not put so much trust or all his eggs in the Robinson basket.  Particularly when he is doubled (GB) or has an elite corner on him (Denver).  Other guys are open while he is staring down Robinson.  Use that!   Stare down Robinson and then go to other guys when defense over shifts.

On other hand if they single cover Robinson with a lessor player he needs to go to him.  

Our TEs simply need to block better and take better angles.  On that note: Braunecker needs to play never unless it's an emergency.  He simply isn't good enough to play in this league.  

Our O line needs to sustain run blocks longer and finish.  They have too many lazy plays.  

We need to conceptually attack the middle of the field on occasion in passing game to keep teams honest.  

We need to figure out how to have a legit game plan without TEs because ours seem to be constantly over matched in all phases at the moment.  

We need more two way go plays with our top two RBs.   They are mismatches all day.

It's okay to have a play action pass that isn't an RPO. 

• Like 3

Just now, dll2000 said:

But we know he can.

The using him in slot experiment is not working.  He is still a good change of pace back and receiver out of backfield.   

I hope so, but I don't know. He regressed last year, and has been virtually worthless so far this year. It seems like if any defensive attention is paid to him at all, he's incapable of producing. I hope he puts it all together and things click for him, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

But we know he can.

The using him in slot experiment is not working.  He is still a good change of pace back and receiver out of backfield.   

They need to move him around and when he gets a LB on him, he should become the primary target. This would also help Tru see a glimpse of man or zone too. 

I'd like to see both him and Montgomery in the backfield and then Tru kicks one to the slot based on what he sees. Betyer chance of forcing a mismatch, still have a safety net, etc.

As for your comment on who is covering ARob, that is one reason I'd like to see the play come in faster and offense set sooner. Nagy/Helfrich could see mismatches like that and relay it, or someone creeping up, whatever. Seeing them set up late drives me nuts. There's enough versatility with the guys you can send a group out and have 2-3 runners in that formation (all solid receivers out of the backfield), 2 runners  (Cohen and Patterson) have speed for days as runners or deep threats, ARob and Miller should be able to abuse the intermediate zones. There's a ton of versatility without letting them sub new guys in. THAT was what I thought Nagy would be doing. Taking what they gave him and exploiting a weakness. After 6-7 straight plays Tru's athleticism then becomes a damn solid weapon to use too. 

• Like 2

Here's a game that our offense can finally build some confidence on.

The first two games:

1) I believe that the Packers defense is the real deal, and that the team is markedly improved, hence our horrid performance offensively.

2) One of the toughest venue in sports to play as a visiting team with the altitude. Also having our former defensive coordinator didn't make help either.

Now if we struggle vs this mediocre Skins team, then there will be reason for alarm. I really want to watch more games before I gauge how this team is doing.

Edited by BACK2MACKSACK

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Montgomery and Cohen are simply better players.

They may be better but I think people are using recency bias to say Davis shouldn't have more of a role after doing nothing in week 2 vs DEN vs week 1 GB when he actually looked pretty good in the limited time he played.

Davis is a guy that can play on all 3 downs and is a nice safety valve in case Montgomery or Cohen were ever to go down.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

They may be better but I think people are using recency bias to say Davis shouldn't have more of a role after doing nothing in week 2 vs DEN vs week 1 GB when he actually looked pretty good in the limited time he played.

Davis is a guy that can play on all 3 downs and is a nice safety valve in case Montgomery or Cohen were ever to go down.

But he is the least talented of all of them.

I need him if their is an injury or someone needs a break. I do not need him to get scheduled and regular touches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But he is the least talented of all of them.

I need him if their is an injury or someone needs a break. I do not need him to get scheduled and regular touches.

I understand but there may be other reasons behind it than simply saying the more talented player should be playing more.  Montgomery is a rookie.  Maybe the coaches feel that it's too much to put on his plate to give him the bulk of the offensive work this early into his career.  Who knows...I'm just speculating but Bears definitely aren't paying Mike Davis $3M to ride pine all year.  I believe he adds value and a role on this team.

• Like 1