2020 Draft Targets

Johnny Nix

I know its still early, but assuming we have a top 15 pick here are the following prospects I am looking at

QB: Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love, Joe Burrow, Jake Fromm

OT: Andrew Thomas, Walker Little, Tristan Wirfs, Trey Adams, Prince Tega-Wanogho

WR: Jerry Jeudy, Laviska Shenault, Jalen Reagor, CeeDee Lamb

DE: Chase Young, AJ Epenesa

DT: Derrick Brown, Raekwon Davis

LB: Dylan Moses, Troy Dye, Anfernee Jennings

CB: Paulson Adebo, Jeff Okudah, Trevon Diggs

S: Grant Delpit, Isaiah Simmons

Who are you keeping your eye on?

• Like 1

Oh my.  Two games in and we turmn out attention to the draft.

I'm fine with that, as I no longer coach cross country and now get to watch games on Saturdays.  

Thomas and Wirfs at OT, Young at DE, and Delpit at safety.  Haven't watched enough teams to set my eyes on anything specificat this point.  Haven't seen any LBs stand out yet, and I haven't looked at NFL draft posts for a place to start.

15 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Oh my.  Two games in and we turmn out attention to the draft.

I think I complained when someone brought it up in the preseason.  But most of us found our way here because of interest in the draft,  so is no surprise to be looking at that early. 

I haven't gotten much  of a chance to look at prospects not wearing scarlet and grey, so aside of drafting Chase Young if he's there, I don't have names.  I would like to see the draft go like this: 

1 OT/LB

2LB/OT

3 CB

4 OT

19 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

QB: Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love, Joe Burrow, Jake Fromm

We really need to target QB in the First Round.  Trade up if we have to.  Watching Mariota last night walk into sacks every time there's pressure reminds me of Dalton.  We need a QB that can handle pressure in the pocket, which a rookie like Ryan Finley already looks better at than Dalton...

45 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's too early for this. But if a QB isn't on the board or in the vicinity of our first pick I would repeat the 2018 targets and go OL or LB. Maybe CB. Heck, just give me BPA if there isn't a QB.

Same.  Really depends on how they finish and what draft pick they end up with.

If there is a guy they think is a franchise QB available when they pick, they'd be daft to not take him.  The Oline still needs help, even if we can salvage Billy Price as a guard.  We desperately need more talent at LB.  An upgrade over Dre Kirkpatrick would definitely help.

QB
OT
LB
CB
BPA

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's too early for this. But if a QB isn't on the board or in the vicinity of our first pick I would repeat the 2018 targets and go OL or LB. Maybe CB. Heck, just give me BPA if there isn't a QB.

With the exception of the #1 overall pick, the vast majority of QBs drafted in Round 1 were traded up for:

• Deshaun Watson
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • Sam Darnold
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Josh Rosen
  • Josh Allen
  • Carson Wentz
  • Jared Goff

Be aggressive.  Just sitting back and expecting a Franchise QB to drop in your lap is not going to happen...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

With the exception of the #1 overall pick, the vast majority of QBs drafted in Round 1 were traded up for:

• Deshaun Watson
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • Sam Darnold
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Josh Rosen
  • Josh Allen
  • Carson Wentz
  • Jared Goff

Be aggressive.  Just sitting back and expecting a Franchise QB to drop in your lap is not going to happen...

I'm all for a trade up if it's the right guy.

44 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm all for a trade up if it's the right guy.

Have to have faith that Zac Taylor and company know what they are doing in evaluating QBs.  On the plus side Ryan Finley and Jake Dolegala both looked good in the preseason, so (very) early returns in their QB judgement is positive.

Also, with the rookie salary cap I think it's fine to swing for the fences on QB.  Or as JoeGoodberry has discussed taking one almost every draft until you hit.  The position is that important that I'm ok even missing and just taking another QB in the next draft...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yes, although the Bengals did have Watson and Mahomes fall into their lap.  They just had QB blinders on.

I do agree in principal however.  I think they'll likely have to trade up.