Dolphins bench Ryan Fitzpatrick, to start Josh Rosen

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You don't think his supporting cast is noticeably worse now?

Sure but everyone is making it seem like Miami lost multiple great assets when in reality they went from a very bad offense to a worse offense. A good LT and a #3 WR left. That's it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not true at all.

They trade a 2nd rounder for Josh Rosen - okay so they must believe he's the future, and they have some young pieces around him like Laremy Tunsil to help build that future.

Dolphins name Ryan Fitzpatrick starter, trade away Tunsil and Kenny Still and Minkah Fitzpatrick

NOW it's a dumb decision because they're tanking for a QB anyways.

Dolphins lose 2 games in which their offense gets pummeled on the OL and their defense is historically bad, but name Josh Rosen starter anyways

Yeah that's an objectively bad decision because now you're tanking and starting Rosen? Either you believed in him before or not, and trading away a piece like Tunsil while tanking so obviously indicates you don't think Rosen is the future, or the present.

I think I've stated here but I believe Rosen was part 1 of this plan. Tannehill was on his way out and Miami was going to be looking for a QB anyways. They weren't trading their future for Kyler and Haskins wasn't a top priority so why not spend a 2nd on a young QB entering his second season? The value that they traded him for doesn't add up to your opinion of Miami thinking he's the future; it was a late 2nd--essentially a 3rd. If they believed that Rosen was a franchise QB, they would have forked over their 1st. They saw value and jumped on it.

The fact that everyone keeps mentioning young pieces and only naming Tunsil is why most of this is hilarious to me. Minkah doesn't make or break Rosen so I dont even know why he was mentioned. They've been tanking since the draft imo. The fact that they didn't really upgrade the team in the draft or free agency was the first clue and signing Ryan Fitzpatrick was the second. I don't think it's a dumb decision because Miami was going to need a QB either way, but they would have been ridiculed because Haskins or whomever they drafted would have been in the same predicament regardless.

Rosen may not be the future or the present but as everyone so eloquently stated before the season, "How would you know if you don't start him?". He's finally getting a chance and everyone is upset lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That makes trading for Rosen all that more terrible then.

Does it? I think everyone looked at Rosen to be this savior of sorts when in reality, Miami just needed a somewhat competent QB for this upcoming season. 

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

thats what ive been saying all along !!!!

Since you're a fan, what do you prefer they had done in the offseason?

52 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tunsil isn't old and was definitely in Miami's long term plans but ultimately the Texans offered more value than the Dolphions could realistically refuse, especially since Tunsil will have to be extended soon.

Because the Dolphins have so many other big money contracts to dole out, right? Like Minkah Fitzpatrick? 

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I believe it is the 2nd time. I think there have only been like 13ish times in nfl history a team has been favored more than 20 pts.

or maybe that was on the road, idk

Thanks. I lived in Las Vegas for 24 years and don't remember a week with two pointspreads of this level. As you mentioned, anything 20+ is exceptionally rare.

But the league is becoming more and more imbalanced. That was inevitable once they changed the rules to favor the passing game. I predicted it immediately. Teams with elite quarterbacks now have a much less strenuous time winning 11+ games. The old days featured wonderful contrast. You'd have teams conceding they didn't have great quarterbacking, so those teams would be built around brutally physical defense and a relentless running game. Given the right set of circumstances they could spring the upset over the cupcake passing teams. That was the era of "Any Given Sunday."

Now that era is basically gone. Everybody thinks they have to throw the ball,. But with the dependable allotment of pathetic quarterbacks you end up with terrible quarterbacks asked to wing it 40+ times.

No chance. 

Also, the change to 4 team divisions was a massive, massive switch in favor of disparity, although that is seldom mentioned. Those division games can be hellish. With 5 teams in each division you'd often have strings of 3 or 4 consecutive division games. Heck, I remember 5 consecutive. That wears out a team, no matter how talented. The opponent simply knows you and is determined to physically pound you, even during a lopsided game. After the string of division games then there was the natural letdown factor in the game immediately following the divisional battles.

Now that is basically gone. 

The 1972 Dolphins (and everyone else) had 8 divisional games among 14. Now the ratio for every team is 6 division games among 16. I am always astonished that the variance is seldom spotlighted. 

• Like 1

Guess I’m in the minority. They traded a late 2nd for a guy that was previously a top 10 pick.

He’s in a terrible situation, but if he excels in said situation then you know you’ve got a legit player.

If he doesn’t and he gets you the #1 pick then you move on and trade him to a team that might want a young QB to compete for a starting job but doesn’t have the draft capital to make a run at a top QB in the draft. Perhaps a team like Oakland, New Orleans, or Jacksonville. Rosen would still only be what 24? With legit NFL experience under his belt. I’m sure they could probably get a late 3rd/early 4th round pick in return. And for a gamble at fixing the QB problem, I don’t see that being a bad net loss (would equate to probably about a 4th/5th round value) for that chance. But if you hit on Rosen then you’re talking about some legit value.

So yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing Rosen play. Maybe he finally makes that Lamar Jackson vs Josh Rosen thread relevant.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Guess I’m in the minority. They traded a late 2nd for a guy that was previously a top 10 pick.

He’s in a terrible situation, but if he excels in said situation then you know you’ve got a legit player.

If he doesn’t and he gets you the #1 pick then you move on and trade him to a team that might want a young QB to compete for a starting job but doesn’t have the draft capital to make a run at a top QB in the draft. Perhaps a team like Oakland, New Orleans, or Jacksonville. Rosen would still only be what 24? With legit NFL experience under his belt. I’m sure they could probably get a late 3rd/early 4th round pick in return. And for a gamble at fixing the QB problem, I don’t see that being a bad net loss (would equate to probably about a 4th/5th round value) for that chance. But if you hit on Rosen then you’re talking about some legit value.

So yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing Rosen play. Maybe he finally makes that Lamar Jackson vs Josh Rosen thread relevant.

Until Rosen gets concussed... again.