which top tier CB could we trade for

3rivers

5 hours ago, Money said:

I'll trade Tomlin for a pack of smokes. And I don't smoke. 

he might not be the problem , this season could prove that. He is partially responsible as it is his team, but OC, bens influence, colbert and of course butler could be making tomlin appear less effective as a coach than he is capable of. This season we will learn more about coach T .  

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

We need someone better than Bud Dupree. 

Our Top needs imo go into next seasons draft is OLB and NT.

We are gonna lose Hargrave. We will get rid of Dupree, Burns, and hopefully Moncrief.

If our pass rush improves so will our secondary play. 

Good news: 2020 NT class can be really good with Shelby Harris, Steve McLendon (reunion please), Al Woods, Timmy Jernigan, Austin Johnson, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, Danny Shelton.  That's in addition to the top with Michael Brockers, Javon Hargrave, Marcell Dareus.  

Even edge looks like if you do this right, you can really bargain shop really well.  Obviously the top is Clowney, Ansah, Sheard, Mercilus, Ngakoue.  But lets go downs some to Fowler, Quinn, Shaquil Barrett, Jamie Collins, McPhee.

Shaq Barret please! Dude looks legit, I wanted him last time around. I think he could flourish in our defense.

Jaran Reed, Steve McLendon, Danny Shelton would be my top choices.

And Yes I know that the traditional NT isnt as important these days but dont undervalue having someone who can take on 2 OL at once.

Obviously TE, CB. WR, S (imo depth is still a need), ILB (see S), are all still needs and I wouldnt even hate taking a late round QB for the purposes of a future #2 and current #3. But to me all of those positions are secondary to EDGE and NT.

TE of the secondary positional needs is the most important because regardless of Vance' health, having 2 good TEs is never a bad thing.

For me, as far as the Minkah trade, I loved it. I was vocal in the days leading up to it that if we had to give up a 1st I was down with that. I'm not back pedaling on that, this is the best Safety we have had on our roster since Troy Polamalu.

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Obviously TE, CB. WR, S (imo depth is still a need), ILB (see S), are all still needs and I wouldnt even hate taking a late round QB for the purposes of a future #2 and current #3. But to me all of those positions are secondary to EDGE and NT.

Kinda for poops and giggles I ran a fanspeak sim for the draft and:

YOUR PICKS 
1: R2P11 TE GRANT CALCATERRA OKLAHOMA
2: R3P40 EDGE CHRISTIAN RECTOR USC
3: R4P11 CB TREVON DIGGS ALABAMA
4: R4P22 WR DEVIN DUVERNAY TEXAS
5: R5P9 QB KHALIL TATE ARIZONA
6: R6P11 DL JALEN PRICE EAST CAROLINA
7: R7P11 EDGE BRYCE HUFF MEMPHIS
So I'm looking at this as Calcaterra is more of a pass catcher than blocker, but he's the great type of TE for us to have.  Rector is a great type of pass rusher for us to have.  Diggs is underrated, can play slot or outside.  Duvernay is smaller but a BIG PLAY threat.  Tate...I don't see him at QB in the NFL.  I want to get creative and see him as a Tysum Hill gadget type player.

I probably have a weird opinion on top tier CBs, but I dont think any of them are worth trading for. I think specific DBs are too easy to to avoid in the NFL today and they cost so much to have, that its not ultimately worth it. 

Look at some of the games where we lined up and played elite CBs recently. Jacksonville last year, we took off after Ben stopped forcing the Ball to AB and our offense realized how if you go no huddle Jalen didnt travel. Seahawks a few years ago, Ben throws for 456 and a guy like Markus Wheaton goes for 2 bills. Outside of AB that game we had 4 other guys with 45+ receiving yards. 

Im actually far happier trading for a guy like Minkah who can be moved around than trading big assets and then big money for Ramsey. I would love Ramsey and would pay him top dollar if I could use him more as a flexible piece. 

I am probably wrong, but the only way I want to get an elite CB is drafting him so we get 4-5 really controllable years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

I didn't know what thread to put this on. Does anyone have an idea where we will be in cap space next year?

I am guessing with Browns dead money gone and not having to re-sign Dupree we can add a couple free agents.

If Ben retires I am guessing well under the cap.

About $13-18 mil with 35 under contract. 

11 hours ago, 3rivers said:

he might not be the problem , this season could prove that. He is partially responsible as it is his team, but OC, bens influence, colbert and of course butler could be making tomlin appear less effective as a coach than he is capable of. This season we will learn more about coach T .  

I'm gonna sort of disagree with you there.... citing the 2-6 record in his last regular season games. It's his unit to manage.

Is the Tomlin getting a "pass" storyline already starting to formulate. 

Here's one thing that aggravated me in the last game... he calls timeout with 2:11 on the clock. You should know that's a bad move. There's no guarantee a play lasts three or four seconds. Now, if Russell Wilson scrambles, in any form or fashion, he'll eat up at least five seconds. If a guy catches it and run it, he eats up at least five seconds. Point being. If they had to punt on 4th down with 2:05, 2:06, whatever. Whether the punter catches the snap. That's a second. And hang time in the end zone. Still eats up clock to the two minute. Of course a good special teams coach could instruct him to keep it in play and watch the clock bleed to the 2 minute warning. Almost every possible result was a change of possession. And loss of timeout. Which is game management.

Not only that. The 4th down call. They come out seemingly looking to throw. Don't like the look. They wanna see how you line up. Cat and mouse. Whatever. Now, you know they're running it. And you guessed it - that's coaching.

And you're telling me Mike Tomlin isn't the problem. You're in OJ land, man.