Holding calls at historical high after 2 weeks

jebrick

I'm fine with them calling it.  I've never understood why it has to be a 10 yard penalty though.  They already erased the play, so what makes a holding call worse than a false start?

That's the big problem.  One holding call pretty much kills a drive, unless you happen to have Patty Mahomes under center.

• Like 2

It sucks that it grinds down the pace of the game and makes the whole thing feel a bit goofy at times.  It's become such a widespread issue though, that players are constantly substituting for actually good blocking.  If you're serious about cleaning it up...you have to start calling it more consistently like this.  After that, at some point, you have to put the onus on the players to just stop doing it.  And the coaches to stop coaching it.  

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I'm fine with them calling it.  I've never understood why it has to be a 10 yard penalty though.  They already erased the play, so what makes a holding call worse than a false start?

That's the big problem.  One holding call pretty much kills a drive, unless you happen to have Patty Mahomes under center.

One of the talking heads said the same thing (was it Collinsworth?) last week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Just correcting your misunderstanding :)

I understood it perfectly fine. I was just simply saying that a high number of penalties being called early in the season is nothing new--especially when said penalties are being enforced.

The numbers posted in the OP are just a mixture of a perfect storm; the start of a new season for refs, more emphasis on holding, and players like Garrett Bolles having an unusual high number of penalties for a single player. These things tend to balance themselves out by mid-season. 

If you go back and look at the league average of offensive holding calls per game through each week from 2009-2018, you will see that there is almost always more calls within the first 4 weeks of the season than any other. The highest of which are within the first 2 weeks.

Looking at the 25 highest averages in a single week from 2009-2018, 11 of them have occurred within the first 4 weeks and 5 of those 11 occurred in the first 2 weeks.

l49jA7i.png

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I understood it perfectly fine. I was just simply saying that a high number of penalties being called early in the season is nothing new--especially when said penalties are being enforced.

The numbers posted in the OP are just a mixture of a perfect storm; the start of a new season for refs, more emphasis on holding, and players like Garrett Bolles having an unusual high number of penalties for a single player. These things tend to balance themselves out by mid-season. 

If you go back and look at the league average of offensive holding calls per game through each week from 2009-2018, you will see that there is almost always more calls within the first 4 weeks of the season than any other. The highest of which are within the first 2 weeks.

Looking at the 25 highest averages in a single week from 2009-2018, 11 of them have occurred within the first 4 weeks and 5 of those 11 occurred in the first 2 weeks.

l49jA7i.png

Both of you are correct. I would expect the calls to go down as the season goes on, but not to the levels of previous years. Unless the NFL instructs the referees to lay off. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Both of you are correct. I would expect the calls to go down as the season goes on, but not to the levels of previous years. Unless the NFL instructs the referees to lay off. 

Agreed. They will go down but I think if you were to go back and compare each week when it's all said and done we will most likely still see an increase like we have these past 2 seasons. Unless the someone steps in like you said.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

Well a well timed egregious block can be the difference between a 5 yard gain and a 80 yard gain. Maybe they figured you will miss a lot of those calls so to offset that you put more risk if you do happened to get called for it.

Or... maybe the original plan was to only call it if it was obvious and pertinent to the play. Something away from the ball or a hold that didn't effect the play wouldn't get a flag.

Why is defensive holding only 5 yards? Why is it an automatic 1st down? Should offensive holding be a 5 yard penalty and loss of down to make it even? Both 5 yarders and no automatic anything makes more sense especially if they are calling offensive holding at a higher clip.

There are a lot of questions to be asked and I don't know if there is anyone alive who knows exactly how they originally determined a lot of the penalty yardages.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

The holding calls have been pretty insane thus far. I know they have erased at least two or three TDs from the 49ers, and one of them was especially ticky tack at best. I wonder if this changes as the season goes on or they continue enforcing it at the same rate? 

Guess this answers my question. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Guess this answers my question. 

I certainly don’t see this backfiring and going way too far in the other direction where defensive lineman get mugged every play.

inb4 an obvious no call influences a game in a huge way