The Streaming Wars

THE DUKE

How will you consume content?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which way will you be entertained?

• Streaming Options (1 or more)
    • I'm sticking with cable
    • Illicit means of procurement
    • Just over the air channels live
    • I'm a hispter and say I never watch TV/Movies

@Bucketheadsdad, does PS Vue have regular television channels?  Last week I used the free trial of YouTube TV and then cancelled immediately.  I need a full list of all options like this so that I can get the free trial and watch the Packers play.  Then once I run out of free trials, I will pick one and keep it for the rest of the season. 

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@Bucketheadsdad, does PS Vue have regular television channels?  Last week I used the free trial of YouTube TV and then cancelled immediately.  I need a full list of all options like this so that I can get the free trial and watch the Packers play.  Then once I run out of free trials, I will pick one and keep it for the rest of the season. 

I sent you a PM with some links that might be of help.  

• Like 1

Netflix sucks.  

Hulu is a staple for me.

Amazon is great even without Prime because they have alot of sales on movies and shows.

I'll check out Disney for a bit, even though I hate the company.

DC Universe I join here and there.

Don't know much about the others, and I probably never will. Had sling for a short time, and it wasn't bad, but more than I wanted to pay considering I didn't watch it much.

21 hours ago, JonStark said:

I've been looking into this for a while, but my directTV gets me all of the cable channels for ~$65/month (including NFLN). I don't see anything yet for me to cut it that gets me what I want and is as convenient.

I heard someone say the other day they saved $1600 this year by cutting cable, but I just don't see how that's possible. 

Those are the people who don't watch live sports or any TV at all outside of re-runs of 1 or 2 shows. So they get the cheap internet and then ONE streaming service. If they had one of the heavy duty plans that are around $200 they could be saving almost $150 a month. 

• Like 2

So wife and I decided to cut the cord this weekend.  I had Verizon triple package with two boxes for $230 a month, plus netflix for $14 a month.  We switched to Hulu live for $45 per month, plus I opted into the $5 upcharge so we can use on multiple devices at once.  Then we reduced Verizon to just internet but upgraded our speed since we'll be streaming.  Our Verizon is now $87 a month which includes the router rental.  All in I'm paying $137 now, down from $244 before.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So wife and I decided to cut the cord this weekend.  I had Verizon triple package with two boxes for $230 a month, plus netflix for $14 a month.  We switched to Hulu live for $45 per month, plus I opted into the $5 upcharge so we can use on multiple devices at once.  Then we reduced Verizon to just internet but upgraded our speed since we'll be streaming.  Our Verizon is now $87 a month which includes the router rental.  All in I'm paying $137 now, down from $244 before.  

Nice, thats almost 1300 a year

• Like 1

Anyone have any opinions on Sling TV? My cable bill which is internet and cable is around 280 a month. I want to cancel the tv portion and just stick with the internet (I wish I could get Verizon but only can have comcast). I was thinking Sling I believe it would be around 45-50 a month to include the live tv, dvr, and sports package with NFL Network and Redzone. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, MdTitansFan56 said:

Anyone have any opinions on Sling TV? My cable bill which is internet and cable is around 280 a month. I want to cancel the tv portion and just stick with the internet (I wish I could get Verizon but only can have comcast). I was thinking Sling I believe it would be around 45-50 a month to include the live tv, dvr, and sports package with NFL Network and Redzone. 

It's not bad.  I got a free month when I bought my new TV, and it's decent. Didn't have any local channels, which kind of annoyed me. Regardless, I canceled, but mainly because I don't watch anything except football on live TV. If you watch a fair bit a cable TV, you'll probably get value out of it.

On 9/27/2019 at 11:03 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

It's not bad.  I got a free month when I bought my new TV, and it's decent. Didn't have any local channels, which kind of annoyed me. Regardless, I canceled, but mainly because I don't watch anything except football on live TV. If you watch a fair bit a cable TV, you'll probably get value out of it.

I haven't checked too closely, but from what I've been hearing, Sling has been dropping quite a few channels recently.  

There's nothing YouTube TV and a jailbroken FireStick with a browser and access to a Reddit account can't get me. I absolutely love YTTV for college football. Usually 12 games to choose from. There are cons though. No Comedy Central, no NFLN and no RZC but that's where the FireStick and Reddit come into play. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

In fact PSVue has MLB Network, NFL Network, NBA TV and NHL Network.  

yep. I feel it's the best of the streaming services

but their prices just keep climbing. I have had it for like 3.5 years. It started out at $30 a month and is up to around $60

• Like 1

If any of you are considering making the jump to cut the cord, or ditch the dish, this is the text of an email I had put together for some friends that were also considering switching.  

This is the content of an  email that I've shared with a number of friends that are considering cutting the cord.  I hope it helps.  
https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-vs-sling-tv-vs-directv-now-vs-hulu-and-more-live-tv-channels-compared/

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels

Sling <-- They have their "orange" and "blue" packages, which can be combined.  They also have several "Add ons" further down their page, including sports, DVR, lifestyle, etc.

Philo packages  <-- No locals, no sports.  

Directv NOW <--They just had a seismic shift in their packages.  Dropped a TON of channels, raised the prices quite a bit.  Compensated for it by adding HBO/Showtime to their regular packages, rather than being add ons.   <THIS ONE HAS REALLY CHANGED OVER THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS.  IN FACT, IT ISN'T EVEN CALLED DIRECTV NOW ANYMORE.  

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/  <-- Their website

I'd also add this list of "free tv" sites.  Many that can be accessed via Roku or Firestick.  Many, just online.  
I'd add Stirr https://stirr.com/ to the list as well.

Depending on where you live, you may have free access to your locals with Locast.  https://www.locast.org/

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Edited by Bucketheadsdad