The Streaming Wars

THE DUKE

How will you consume content?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which way will you be entertained?

• Streaming Options (1 or more)
    • I'm sticking with cable
    • Illicit means of procurement
    • Just over the air channels live
    • I'm a hispter and say I never watch TV/Movies

5 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Plus whatever original content they add with HBO levels of budget and quality. Also the new GOT which will be on the show at launch (Supposedly filming in prep for an April launch) which is more than likely going to be May now to launch with the service. 

I don’t think the GoT spinoff will be available at launch. There’s no cast or anything.

The byproduct we've run into with the streaming wars is the highly segmented content availability.  Each one is trying to have their "must watch" shows, and no single platform is going to cover them all.  How they will combat the pirating which is sure to follow this will be interesting to follow.  I'm pretty set on tapping out after Netflix/Amazon/(Disney/Hulu/ESPN+).  I don't see myself going much beyond that.

Any streaming service relying wholly upon others creating content for them is likely doomed.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The byproduct we've run into with the streaming wars is the highly segmented content availability.  Each one is trying to have their "must watch" shows, and no single platform is going to cover them all.  How they will combat the pirating which is sure to follow this will be interesting to follow.  I'm pretty set on tapping out after Netflix/Amazon/(Disney/Hulu/ESPN+).  I don't see myself going much beyond that.

Any streaming service relying wholly upon others creating content for them is likely doomed.

It's been interesting seeing the development of this.

What everyone wanted before the cord cutting - ala cart TV/Movies, remove the extreme bundling to get rid of the 90% fluff that's cable TV

What we got initially - Netflix, which gave us extreme bundling, but mostly older shows/movies, at a really low price

What we're seeing now - pricing going back up, but ala cart to a certain degree PLUS an increase in quality as the services develop their own shows

In the end, most people are probably now paying $20-40/mo instead of $150/mo.  You get more content, considering you can watch things at your leisure and not just when the provider decides you're allowed.  The quality has gone up.  And, most importantly, no contracts.  Which means you can switch between services when you want and catch up on content you might have missed.

There are some downsides - like there appear to be some cool content on some of the fringe services that most people probably won't adopt (like CBS Streaming).  So those shows won't make it long and won't be seen by the audience they deserve.  And we were all kind of spoiled in the interim when Netflix was $10 and it was the only game in town.  Now if you want all the popular stuff you probably need 2-3 services.  But the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

I've been using Direct TV Now since it launched and I have grandfathered plan of $50 for 80ish channels & HBO free. It's good, it works and it's got enough channels for the average TV watcher. However, if you're looking to cut the cord and pick a streaming service you'd be foolish not to select YTTV. 

Very sad to see that PSVue is shutting down on January 30.  We've had their service now for almost 9 months, and I've been extremely satisfied what they provide.  Coupled with Philo, I basically replaced my cable, almost channel for channel (minus C-Span).  

Looks like we'll be migrating to YTTV, but I'm going to be sad to see that I'll be losing the NFL Network as a result.  

Sony, you arguably had the best service, and you doomed it to failure by giving it such a pi$$ poor name.  

• Like 2