The Streaming Wars

THE DUKE

How will you consume content?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which way will you be entertained?

• Streaming Options (1 or more)
    • I'm sticking with cable
    • Illicit means of procurement
    • Just over the air channels live
    • I'm a hispter and say I never watch TV/Movies

On 10/16/2020 at 7:37 AM, THE DUKE said:

Has anyone else tried Peacock?  I've been giving it a try since it's free with ads, and while the Roku interface is still a little clunky, it hasn't been bad.  I'm capping out on the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle, Netflix, and Prime, but since this has a free option, why not?  There seem to be the same amount of ads in a 2.5 hour movie as there is in a 45 minute show which is a little weird.  It's not bad at all for the movie, but it's noticeable on the tv show.  I do like that almost all the ads are in the first half of the movie and then it doesn't interrupt the climax at all.  I've been burning through the Harry Potter movies, and watched Deathly Hallows Part 1 yesterday, and the last ad was with over an hour left in the movie.  It has a "premium" and "premium plus" versions for $5 and $10 respectively, but I don't see myself doing either of those anytime soon.  And as far as I can tell:

Premium = No ads, but still limited content

Premium Plus = Full library content with no ads

Worth giving the free version a try if you can stomach ads.  I haven't seen an ad break longer than a minute yet, so they aren't too bad, it's not like Hulu's ad content where it might be 2-2.5 minutes of ads.

I use Peacock and I don’t mind the ads.

I've tried a bunch of different streaming services and Hulu is still at the top of my list. Although I don't care for their original programs (who is The Handmaid's Tale supposed to appeal to?), they have a pretty decent selection of shows and you can get them completely ad-free by paying only a little extra.

Amazon Prime is all right, but needs a lot more free programming and a lot less advertising. IMDB TV, same thing. Sling claims to show full NFL games if you pay for their Blue package; as far as I can tell this is false advertising, because a friend of mine has Sling Blue and I have never once succeeded in actually viewing a game on their account.

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I've tried a bunch of different streaming services and Hulu is still at the top of my list. Although I don't care for their original programs (who is The Handmaid's Tale supposed to appeal to?), they have a pretty decent selection of shows and you can get them completely ad-free by paying only a little extra.

Amazon Prime is all right, but needs a lot more free programming and a lot less advertising. IMDB TV, same thing. Sling claims to show full NFL games if you pay for their Blue package; as far as I can tell this is false advertising, because a friend of mine has Sling Blue and I have never once succeeded in actually viewing a game on their account.

My wife and her friends. 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Forge said:

https://tvline.com/2022/01/14/netflix-price-increase-2021-most-expensive-streaming-service/

Not going to lie, slowly checking out on Netflix. Another price raise may push me out the door. I feel like they are slowly losing third party content, and I can get multiple other streaming channels combined for the same price at this juncture

I’m glad I don’t pay for it but if my sister ever cancelled it I don’t think I would buy a subscription.

Edited by Oregon Ducks
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

https://tvline.com/2022/01/14/netflix-price-increase-2021-most-expensive-streaming-service/

Not going to lie, slowly checking out on Netflix. Another price raise may push me out the door. I feel like they are slowly losing third party content, and I can get multiple other streaming channels combined for the same price at this juncture

So with a now saturated market they decide to hike their prices again.

bold GIF

Idk if ill stick around after another price hike, my viewership has already dwindled the last few years. I just don't watch enough shows on Netflix to justify it. Witcher and Ozark are really the only series im really interested in, everything else is no longer on Netflix or Netflix themselves canceled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If I had to pay for it I'd add it to a rotation at this point. Just doesn't have the same month to month output anymore.
They are producing very solid fast food style reality shows, but thats not really worth it a lot of the time.

A lot of people like their films but it's just weirdly hard for me to sit down and watch movies anymore at home.

Not happy about it, but the latest round of Netflix hikes won't push me out.  We still use it quite a bit, currently watching Manifest which is getting significantly better than in early season 1.  They have enough content to where I can still almost always find something to watch when i'm looking.

I've had Netflix on the chopping block for awhile. Cost versus what I get isn't really worth it and I've been wanting to try HBO Max. Get hulu through my cell plan and I probably watch it the most. Disney+ is ok, but I use a friend's log in. Don't know that I'd pay for it myself.  Same for Amazon prime, although ask me again when season 3 of the boys comes out. I have peacock since I wanted to watch the new psych movie.  There are a few decent things on there and I could stream football this weekend. $5 might be the right price point fir me to just let ride.