Mike Vrabel

dtait93

Let’s talk about it.

3 weeks and counting he doesn’t have this team prepared to play.

His OC hire Arthur Smith has been a failure so far, and yes I realize it’s still early. So far though, awful.

For specializing in linebackers and their development, he can’t seem to get any productivity out of them as pass rushers and it’s hurting us.

The ending to the Indianapolis game was a debacle of epic proportions.

For whatever reason he just will not let the Adoree punt returner experiment die. It should have been burned to the ground last year yet he’s still giving it life even after that garbage last night.

It’s still early and I want him to get this thing turned around, but it’s a what have you done for me lately league and through 3 games so far it has not been good. Last year feels like a distant mirage. I feel like he’s gone from an analytical, calculated risk coach to an emotional (going for it on 4th and 6 when we hadn’t scored yet was not heady) and timid (see not challenging any of the questionable calls against the Colts) coach.

Edited by dtait93

Just last year we were talking about how he got us to 3-1 given injuries and playing Blaine Gabbert. We are a 100 hour game in Miami away from starting 4-0.

He is a good HC.  He needs a former head coach OC, who did well with situational football. 

Vrabel does a lot of good. 

We also can't keep going through HC's. We need to stick with him and try our best to find our way. But we do need a new offensive philosophy and he needs to adjust it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

For whatever reason he just will not let the Adoree punt returner experiment die. It should have been burned to the ground last year yet he’s still giving it life even after that garbage last night.

I have to wonder if JRob has anything to do with this.  We were sold on Adoree's draft in large part because he could be a weapon on D and on STs.  So far he's been JAG on D... and worse on STs.  He may be trying to force that move, selling the idea that it wasn't a wasted pick.

Someone mentioned this earlier... but the more time passes, the worse off his picks start to look.  It's no lie:

• Conklin - Looked like a huge find as an all pro his rookie season... and he's completely fallen off... 5th year option not picked up, and has been bad the past couple of weeks, after a promising preseason.  May not be brought back
    • Dodd - Bust of epic proportions
    • A Johnson - Had hopes for him, but looking like another huge bust
    • Henry and especially Byard save him from a complete bust of a draft.
    • Sharpe - Good pick for the round. Nothing special though... JAG... and sadly he's become our deep threat.
    • Sims flashed a bit, and is a good 4th CB, but I don't expect much else from him
    • Rest of draft is zero
    • Corey Davis - shows potential, but hasn't produced to his #5 overall status
    • Adoree - JAG on D... bust on STs. Option shouldn't be picked up
    • T Taylor - Bust
    • J Smith has shown potential, but hasn't really put too much on the field
    • Brown looks like he may be one of the nicer players on our D.  Has been a bit down this year after an outstanding year last year.
    • Rest of the draft is zero
    • Too early to tell... Evans and Landry have flashed potential... but haven't hit their stride yet
    • Cruikshank may be a STs player and nothing else
    • Nothing else to show in this draft

Byard, Henry, Davis and Brown... that's 4 out of his first 19 picks (16/17) that right now look at must bring backs (and even Henry is questionable, as he seems to be limited by what he can do in the passing game.  Everyone else is JAG or won't be brought back for a 2nd contract

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Let’s talk about it.

3 weeks and counting he doesn’t have this team prepared to play.

His OC hire Arthur Smith has been a failure so far, and yes I realize it’s still early. So far though, awful.

Are you saying we weren't prepared to play in Cleveland?  

• Like 1

Just now, KingTitan said:

Season isn't over. 

Colts started 1-5 and Texans 0-3. Things can look bleak. But things can change. 

Completely agree.  We're a half game back of the division lead.  I get that in this age, we have to immediately have a "hot take" to get noticed, but there is no need to panic.  Marcus is better than he showed last night, in a downpour, with the flags showing a strong wind, taking 9 sacks and having guys in his face the entire night.  There is nothing we can do in the short-term that will fix all our problems.  Tannehill would have looked the same last night.  But when we get Lewan back and figure out a better solution at RG (is Nate Davis healthy?), we're gonna look much more like the team in Week 1 than Week 3.

I get the criticism for Vrabel but is the point of this thread to imply it's time to think about getting rid of him? Because if that's the case, then I'm certainly not for it off of two games.

We're all frustrated in this team and organization right now, but getting rid of him and starting over again is how you become a bottom dwelling organization like the Browns or Dolphins. Cycling through head coaches whenever a bad/disappointing season occurs. 

25 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Are you saying we weren't prepared to play in Cleveland?  

Yep. Gave up a TD on the opening drive just like they did to the Colts the following week. One week I can look past, but when it happens consecutively that’s so clearly on the coach not having the team ready. A better prepared team also takes advantage of all the penalties and opportunities they were giving us in the first half... instead we were only up 6 and we all agree we should have been up by a lot more. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Just last year we were talking about how he got us to 3-1 given injuries and playing Blaine Gabbert. We are a 100 hour game in Miami away from starting 4-0.

He is a good HC.  He needs a former head coach OC, who did well with situational football. 

We also can't keep going through HC's. We need to stick with him and try our best to find our way. But we do need a new offensive philosophy and he needs to adjust it. 

I suppose if I'm willing to cling to Marcus it's only fair to give him a shot lol.  I'm just not confident we'll ever have a good offense whether Mariota stays or we draft someone 

15 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I get the criticism for Vrabel but is the point of this thread to imply it's time to think about getting rid of him? Because if that's the case, then I'm certainly not for it off of two games.

We're all frustrated in this team and organization right now, but getting rid of him and starting over again is how you become a bottom dwelling organization like the Browns or Dolphins. Cycling through head coaches whenever a bad/disappointing season occurs. 

Nope not in the slightest. It’s to have an open diolague and discussion about Mike Vrabel. Last year he worked some magic, this year he has not been good. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I’m not saying get rid of him but how can you confidently say he is a good head coach already? He did a lot of good last year, but he has been bad this year. It’s almost 20 games in and right before our very eyes it’s the same old Titans. It’s the same 9-7 team under Munchak, it’s the same 9-7 teams under Mularkey, it’s the same 9-7 team under Vrabel. So far, it’s the same results just a different name. I’m not clamoring to get rid of him, that would be short-sighted and silly, but what I am saying is he hasn’t done anything to elevate us and we should be real with what’s taken place. In a what have you done for me lately league, I’m not living off of last year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I didnt think the sort of deflated, pathetic, already-gave-up before time ran out attitude the team had yesterday wouldn't have happened under Vrabel. That was more embarrassing than the 59-0 beatdown by the Pats. At least those guys were good.

Yeah, that last drive was tough to stomach.  We ran the ball to open it, then wasted a bunch of time rearranging the formation on the next play.  It looked like we were being careful enough to get into FG range as time expired, except we were down 13.  Embarrassing.