Mike Vrabel

dtait93

39 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

As @titans0021 said, I have a much bigger issue with his OC right now, and if this is the offense he wants Smith to run, I don't want to see him as our HC.

this is pretty much it. i guarantee you people are singing a different tune about vrabel if he hires a competent OC. i’m not completely opposed to giving him another chance to build an offensive staff, but if he’s not willing to gut everything that’s going on with this mess he needs to go.

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is pretty much it. i guarantee you people are singing a different tune about vrabel if he hires a competent OC. i’m not completely opposed to giving him another chance to build an offensive staff, but if he’s not willing to gut everything that’s going on with this mess he needs to go.

I think the biggest thing is that, in most of these games, these big decisions don’t even need to happen if we had a competent OC. We wouldn’t need to fake a FG if it didn’t take 50 minutes for us to run one drive through Tannehill, the WRs and Jonnu.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

I don't have that strong of a recollection of what that looked like. I know that they haven't overturned any of the PI I caught being challenged, though. 

Yes they have overturned like 2 

That one was worth the challenge IMO but none the less the overall point is Vrabel is just so lost this year.

The things i mentioned were just other small things he’s confused of when to challenge and when not to challenge 

The 4th down stuff he’s been an absolute train wreck

I want to give credit to who ever deserves it I don’t know if it was someone in here or Glennon but Vrabel constantly keeps saying “Refs just don’t overturn those kinds of calls” for almost any play in challenge if it’s the PI stuff or most recently with the Ryan Tannehill QB sneak on 4th down last week

3 views in a row last week were spot checks and 1 ended up being the game winning fumble but all 3 were overturned in the Titans favor so Vrabel needs to stop saying “well those things don’t get overturned” because they actually do they just need to be clear 

Wasting 40 seconds and a timeout against indy was by far the worst. 

Tried to draw them offsides? Wasted 40 seconds... Then calls the timeout. If they woulda saved the timeout, trotted the punting unit and punted it with 20 seconds left, that's 60  more seconds that could have had. 

We ran out of time in indy territory, when a fg could have won it. 

By far, the most boneheaded decision out of the bunch of boneheaded decisions. 

• Like 1

I’m going to go with the fake FG as the worst call. Not even the decision to go for it, but to put the ball in your punter’s hands. Fake field goals have a 25% success rate. The only thing that saves him is the early whistle, otherwise it probably directly costs us the game yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Wasting 40 seconds and a timeout against indy was by far the worst. 

Tried to draw them offsides? Wasted 40 seconds... Then calls the timeout. If they woulda saved the timeout, trotted the punting unit and punted it with 20 seconds left, that's 60  more seconds that could have had. 

We ran out of time in indy territory, when a fg could have won it. 

By far, the most boneheaded decision out of the bunch of boneheaded decisions. 

Yeah, being aggressive and not converting is one thing. That was just stupidity.

fwiw

But a fair question: Were his decisions bad ones at the time?

Did some of them give the Titans a better chance to win?

Yes, actually.

That’s according to EdjSports, a Kentucky-based data analytics firm that is hired on a consulting basis by NFL teams to assist coaches in making in-game decisions like these. EdjSports’ computer model includes all factors to determine a coach’s best decision at any time – run, pass, punt, going for it on fourth down or not – based on a percentage for how it impacts the team’s chances to win that game.

Whether Vrabel knew it or not, EdjSports’ numbers have largely been on his side.

Of the five fourth-down decisions listed above, four of them — including the fake field goal — didn’t just help the Titans’ win chance. In EdjSports’ estimation, those four decisions were among the five best in-game decisions the 2019 Titans have made.

Going for Tannehill’s failed sneak against the Chargers increased the Titans’ chance of winning the game by 13.9% instead of punting (from 75.2% to 89.1%), making it by far Vrabel’s highest-rated in-game decision of the season.

In Jacksonville, the decision to go for it increased the Titans’ chance of winning by 1.1% (from 14.1% to 15.2%). In Atlanta, it increased by 0.6% (from 97.6% to 98.2%).

The exception was the field goal against Buffalo with an already struggling Cairo Santos. EdjSports’ model didn’t like that choice either way. Even before the kick was missed, attempting it cost the Titans a 2.3% chance to win (from 20.3% to 18%).

Sunday’s fake was more complicated. While the decision to go for it on fourth-and-2 against Tampa Bay did increase the Titans’ win chance by 1.3% (from 81.1% to 82.4%), that doesn’t mean they went about it the best way.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2019/10/28/mike-vrabel-catching-heat-titans-fourth-down-failures/2469791001/

I figured a lot of them increased our chances to win, but when you fail just about every single one of them, fans are going to start questioning the decision.

Obviously, he didn't get a lot of hate for throwing a pass to Byard on a fake punt against SD. If we fail to convert that, I bet people are listing it along with his other awful decisions.

I still don't like the ATL attempt, regardless of the math. I like the 3 score lead there.

The Atlanta attempt... The Buffalo attempt... The wasted time v Indy... Not challenging the correct calls... The call to run a punter outside on the fake Fg... Sticking with an ineffectual offensive design... 

Is not necessarily that he goes for it on 4th that's the issue... Although it was an issue at least a couple of times. 

I honestly can't get past the Indy game. We win that one and we're tied for 1st with Houston  and a half game ahead of Indy. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I figured a lot of them increased our chances to win, but when you fail just about every single one of them, fans are going to start questioning the decision.

Obviously, he didn't get a lot of hate for throwing a pass to Byard on a fake punt against SD. If we fail to convert that, I bet people are listing it along with his other awful decisions.

I still don't like the ATL attempt, regardless of the math. I like the 3 score lead there.

The difference between the fake punt against Houston last year was it was at the beginning of the game. If it fails atleast there’s the remainder of the game to make up for it. The problem is that he’s making these mistakes when the game is on the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

The difference between the fake punt against Houston last year was it was at the beginning of the game. If it fails atleast there’s the remainder of the game to make up for it. The problem is that he’s making these mistakes when the game is on the line.

I was talking about the fake punt last week. 

But I guarantee if we fail to convert that fake punt against Houston, and they get the ball on our 30 or whatever and score and we lose a one possession game people are hating on it just as hard regardless.

The difference wasn't when it occurred as much as it was the result. No one complains about risks when they pay off.

43 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I was talking about the fake punt last week. 

But I guarantee if we fail to convert that fake punt against Houston, and they get the ball on our 30 or whatever and score and we lose a one possession game people are hating on it just as hard regardless.

The difference wasn't when it occurred as much as it was the result. No one complains about risks when they pay off.

That’s not true. We for the most part universally agreed with his decision to go for 2 against the Chargers last year. The complaint was against the playcall. 

27 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

That’s not true. We for the most part universally agreed with his decision to go for 2 against the Chargers last year. The complaint was against the playcall. 

That's one time that being aggressive failed. Imagine if that happened in 3 or 4 different games and you have this season.

I'm only talking about the 4th down attempts here and I still disagree with going for it against ATL even though the math says it's the right call. The IND time management was just poor.