Mike Vrabel

dtait93

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'd also think because he wasn't exactly a great DC. So if we are relying on his DC skills to think of how an offense would attack then that isn't too great. 

This is what I thought it was getting at.

To me, if he's not involved on both game plans, why is he your HC? Same would go for an offensive guy on defense.

7 hours ago, TitanSS said:

This is what I thought it was getting at.

To me, if he's not involved on both game plans, why is he your HC? Same would go for an offensive guy on defense.

If Bill in NE is the goal or even Pete Carroll, then you want a coach that can dabble on both sides of the ball.  

The one thing I thought was a strength of Vrabel as evaluating coaches and those relationships. 
If he can identify good coordinators then that's worth it's weight in gold. 

NE has a great program of growing coaches. They manage to find guys that can specialize in making players understand what they are being asked to do. We give Bill credit, rightly so, but it's impossible to do all that teaching on his own. 

But to your point, if Vrabel can't game plan. Can't make game day decisions. Can't grow or evaluate coaches. Why is he the guy? (Not saying he can't do any of those things, but if he consistently shows he cant...then those are valid questions.)

If we look at it objectively, Vrabel has failed in what he was brought in to do

1. Improve Mariota

2. Take us to the next level of competition

Ultimately, that's what he was brought in to do. His intro press conference was largely about getting the most out of Mariota. For one reason or another, that didn't happen. And now Mariota has been benched due to performance (rightfully, but ultimately that's an indictment on Vrabel) and the team has regressed.

We can go on and on about what he's bad at, etc. But he had 2 objectives when he took this job, and so far he's failed miserably at both.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

If we look at it objectively, Vrabel has failed in what he was brought in to do

1. Improve Mariota

2. Take us to the next level of competition

Ultimately, that's what he was brought in to do. His intro press conference was largely about getting the most out of Mariota. For one reason or another, that didn't happen. And now Mariota has been benched due to performance (rightfully, but ultimately that's an indictment on Vrabel) and the team has regressed.

We can go on and on about what he's bad at, etc. But he had 2 objectives when he took this job, and so far he's failed miserably at both.

“Stay the course.”

To mediocrity.

Every teams goal is to get better than they were the year before. Just about every team that's not NE fails that goal every couple of years. Everyone likes to quote to the good to great stuff and it's just dumb to me. Every team that was okay wants to be better... so why are you quoting the coach speak from a presser? lol

As far as Mariota, that's not an indictment of Vrabel. Marcus Mariota is a below average QB when he has a great OL and running game and bad any other time. Vrabel benching Mariota is a plus if we're grading that as far as him being a HC.

The problem isn't that Vrabel couldn't fix Mariota. The problem was too many eggs in the Mariota basket. We were right to fire Mularkey because he never should have been hired to begin with, but he was fired for the wrong reasons (Mariota not improving).

Vrabel needs to remove the OC and OL coach and fix the offense or be fired, sure, but he shouldn't be fired because of a quote from a presser or because Mariota is a bad player.

Edited by TitanSS

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Vrabel needs to remove the OC and OL coach and fix the offense or be fired, sure,

That's where I stand with Vrabel this season.  Very similar how I felt about Mularkey coming off a playoff victor, oddly enough.  Attempt to fix the offense and be a part of this thing going forward... or go down if you refuse to make the changes we need to make.  

If we did move on from Vrabel(I don't think we will, just throwing it out there for something to talk about), what would be everyone's #1 choice to go after?

Greg Roman has to be up there, right? He's made offenses work with QBs ranging from Alex Smith to Colin Kaepernick to Tyrod Taylor to now Lamar Jackson. Has shown a willingness to adapt his offense to the strengths/skill set of his QBs. Hire him, let him pick the QB he wants and go from there?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

If we did move on from Vrabel(I don't think we will, just throwing it out there for something to talk about), what would be everyone's #1 choice to go after?

Greg Roman has to be up there, right? He's made offenses work with QBs ranging from Alex Smith to Colin Kaepernick to Tyrod Taylor to now Lamar Jackson. Has shown a willingness to adapt his offense to the strengths/skill set of his QBs. Hire him, let him pick the QB he wants and go from there?

I was actually just coming in here to spark that discussion. Greg Roman would be one of the top guys on my list. He's always been way ahead of the curve with his offenses in the NFL, and I think he's due for his shot as a head coach. Plus he's been a coach in the league for a long time, so I would think he could build a pretty strong staff.

I would like our next head coaching hire to be a guy that's kind of an against the grain hire. Somebody with some out of the box thinking that could bring some fresh blood and a new philosophy to our organization. I'd like to take a good hard look at the college coaches this year, and see what's out there. If Riley isn't a possibility, a guy like Matt Rhule intrigues me.

Only PIT, KC, SEA, and NE have more consecutive winning seasons than the Titans and only DAL is tied with us at 3.

Continual success is so hard to maintain in the NFL, especially if you do not have "the guy" as a franchise QB, and I don't know if that warrants firing a HC after a short tenure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don't think we should fire Vrabel. But he 100% needs to fire Art Smith this offseason. Same situation as Mularkey-Robiskie as far as I'm concerned

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on. It will be argued that Tanny made it look good and number wise I could see it looking better number wise at the end of the season.