Mike Vrabel

dtait93

24 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

JRob walked into a situation where this team had the first pick and a qb so he didn’t have to draft one . J Rob made a splash with the Murray signing which made all of us giddy , he made a trade two weeks before the draft that was viewed as a highway robbery at the time as well. We as fans were new to this , we never had a gm who made these kind of moves so JRob jumped up a few notches right out of the gate . However looking back he squandered those picks and now all we can do is watch the “superstars “ he passed on whoop up on us twice a year in Ramsey and tunsil while we’re stuck with trash Conklin etc. 

I said it a year ago and was trashed on but now there’s no hiding it . JRob is garbage , yea we have talent on this team but not as much as us fans think. We can’t even beat backup QBs , if our team was soooo awesome we wouldn’t lose to a luckless and foleless football team. We have one superstar that was drafted bY Robinson on this  team “one” and people don’t even really know byard. 

I don't think that JRob is garbage, but I don't think he's anything special. He's done some very nice things for us and played a big role in taking us from a 5-27 team the two years prior into a...9-7 team.

Again, this franchise's biggest issue is that it can't get out of its own way. It's probably more on the coaching level than GM, but our philosophies are still Fisher-esque and the league is passing us by, literally. 

45 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

JRob walked into a situation where this team had the first pick and a qb so he didn’t have to draft one . J Rob made a splash with the Murray signing which made all of us giddy , he made a trade two weeks before the draft that was viewed as a highway robbery at the time as well. We as fans were new to this , we never had a gm who made these kind of moves so JRob jumped up a few notches right out of the gate . However looking back he squandered those picks and now all we can do is watch the “superstars “ he passed on whoop up on us twice a year in Ramsey and tunsil while we’re stuck with trash Conklin etc. 

I said it a year ago and was trashed on but now there’s no hiding it . JRob is garbage , yea we have talent on this team but not as much as us fans think. We can’t even beat backup QBs , if our team was soooo awesome we wouldn’t lose to a luckless and foleless football team. We have one superstar that was drafted bY Robinson on this  team “one” and people don’t even really know byard. 

It sounds like you think that every first round pick should be a superstar. That's unlikely. Not every first round pick is even going to be a hit. They call the draft a lottery for a reason.

Robinson isn't the second coming of Jesus, and he has some definite misses, but he's brought a lot of talent onto this football team. We are a decent QB away from being a legitimate contender each year. Even with Mariota we've been legitimate contenders as we've been 27-21 over the last 3 regular seasons with 1 playoff win. If Robinson didn't add talent to what was a combined 5 win team in the two years prior to him arriving, what is the reason for the teams massive improvement? Who carried this team that Robinson has failed to build? Mularkey? Mariota?

We have 3 offensive starters who were here before Robinson: Walker, Lewan, and Mariota. 

We have 2 defensive starters who were here before Robinson: Casey and Jones.

Am I missing anyone?

Yeah, he inherited the first overall pick, but he also inherited a team worthy of the first overall pick because it was void of basically any talent. 

People not knowing Byard isn't a knock on him or Robinson. It's just part of playing for a team that isn't a media favorite. Has nothing to do with the fact that he might be the best safety in the NFL on one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

Edited by TitanSS

I wonder if Nate Davis and Lewan can help this OL. If Davis sucks too, then they have to make the move to at least try Conklin at RG and Kelly at RT. Quit worrying about hurting feelings. We need the best 5 on that OL. Mariota sucks for sure but they have to at least get this OL straightened out before another QB comes in especially a rookie. Also I’ll say it again, Lewan needs to shut the hell up on Twitter especially during games.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

I wonder if Nate Davis and Lewan can help this OL. If Davis sucks too, then they have to make the move to at least try Conklin at RG and Kelly at RT. Quit worrying about hurting feelings. We need the best 5 on that OL. Mariota sucks for sure but they have to at least get this OL straightened out before another QB comes in especially a rookie. 

I thought Conklin was fine at OT in week 1 & 2, actually really strong in week 1. Was he that bad after I turned the TV off Thursday that people want to move him to RG?

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I thought Conklin was fine at OT in week 1 & 2, actually really strong in week 1. Was he that bad after I turned the TV off Thursday that people want to move him to RG?

Josh Allen dominated him for most of that game. Obviously he’s having to play beside straight up trash in Douglas but still. I just want the best 5 out there. If Davis isn’t it, you have to do something. Kelly hasn’t been great at LT and we’re not shocked. I thought he was good last year at RT but struggled at RG for the little time he played there. We have to do something to get the best 5 out there. Hopefully Davis comes in and can actually be a big body and not a turnstile like Douglas. I’m not expecting Davis to be a stud or anything but it shouldn’t be that hard to be better than a 12 PFF grade. I just want the best 5 out there once Lewan comes back and if Davis isn’t it, put Conklin’s feelings to the side and put his *** at RG.

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Josh Allen dominated him for most of that game. Obviously he’s having to play beside straight up trash in Douglas but still. I just want the best 5 out there. If Davis isn’t it, you have to do something. Kelly hasn’t been great at LT and we’re not shocked. I thought he was good last year at RT but struggled at RG for the little time he played there. We have to do something to get the best 5 out there. Hopefully Davis comes in and can actually be a big body and not a turnstile like Douglas. I’m not expecting Davis to be a stud or anything but it shouldn’t be that hard to be better than a 12 PFF grade. I just want the best 5 out there once Lewan comes back and if Davis isn’t it, put Conklin’s feelings to the side and put his *** at RG.

Haha I got you. I've just heard a lot of people hard on Conklin since Thursday as if it was time to move on from him.

I loved Josh Allen in college, the guy is going to be a beast.

19 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, it was more about how to get the best 5.

Put Kelly at RG if it works. I just want the best 5. Because Douglas ain't it and I'm not convinced Davis will be it either after missing training camp. 

Allen did get the best of Conklin a few times but win some and lose some. 

10 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah, it was more about how to get the best 5.

Put Kelly at RG if it works. I just want the best 5. Because Douglas ain't it and I'm not convinced Davis will be it either after missing training camp. 

Allen did get the best of Conklin a few times but win some and lose some. 

I really think Josh Allen is going to get the best of a lot of OTs in the NFL. I wanted us to draft him before he shot up the draft projections last year.

36 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I really think Josh Allen is going to get the best of a lot of OTs in the NFL. I wanted us to draft him before he shot up the draft projections last year.

That's very true. And I also agree that Conklin looked more than fine the first two weeks. He pretty clearly won the matchup week 1 against Vernon.

I think in his press conference Vrabel touched on Davis and the need to get him in the lineup ASAP. I haven't seen enough tape of him in college, but what I saw made me think he can be solid. We'll see. Lewan coming back alone should be a big boost.

Also it needs to be said, the pass-rush still sucks. Titans managed to get to Brissett numerous times(although a lot of missed sacks) but couldn’t touch Minshew at all despite a much worse OL. Landry hasn’t developed and honestly I don’t see much of a difference between him and Finch. Actually Finch might be the better player right now. Brown, Evans, and Casey have also been ghosts. Absolutely ridiculous considering the amount of talent/potential in that front 7. Hoping it improves and can’t wait to see this late in the season....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

It is business, indeed. Good business. He moved on from a RB he got us for nothing that was really great for us year 1, right after he started declining. Moved on from a bad pick in Dodd when it was clear he wasn't developing into anything worth keeping. I know us, as fans, have this natural ability to tell whether a player sucks or is an All-Pro in the making that the league executives clearly don't share, though they try their best. For a high investment pick they tried for a couple of years, one of which, IIRC, was injury plagued. Moved on from it at the exact time, in my book.

Same with Taywan. I remember a time in here when people for calling for heads because Taywan didn't see enough time on the field as a rookie. Now apparently they're to blame for moving on from him too late.

He gave a one year extension mostly structured on bonuses to a player that was at the time our best receiver. Crazy, I know. If there issues the staff had with him before the stunt he pulled I don't remember them. What I remember was that on the field he was the most reliable WR we had.

He doesn't run behind on anything. He inherited a roster with major holes to fill. First the OL, which he fixed right away. Drafted what seemed like the next best thing at T for us before injuries and regression, found two guards that were serviceable and signed a C relatively for cheap that was just good enough. Then the depleted secondary and WR corps, that he then starts to rebuild basically from scratch. We now have a borderline All-Pro safety, another very reliable S he picked off the street, and three CBs that can start. Granted, Butler may have been overpayed and Adoree overdrafted, but Ryan continues to be a stud for us and the other two are just good enough to complete a good/sometimes great secondary. He was in a position where he had to maybe overextend to fill the holes we had. He didn't get us there, he got us out of it. Same thing with the receiving corps. We now have two promising young receivers on roster. The third one he basically replaced in the offseason when signing Humphries and moved on from him while acquiring a future pick, just at the right time. Then, same thing with the LB corps.

Sure, he messed up a few things along the way, it's the nature of being an NFL executive. But to think he's not the whole reason we have the talent we currently on our roster, is simply insane. And to think that although nothing he has done so far would suggest it, as a matter of fact it suggests the contrary, that he would double down so hard on a failed experiment, is again, just plain dumb.

I gave him props on Taywan... that wasn't an easy move to make so soon.  But we want to call him good for cutting Murray and Dodd when he did?  He'd be completely incompetent if he didn't make those moves.  

Matthews was recovering from a torn his meniscus... when he was extended late into the offseason... The extension could have waited.  Those signs of the staff and him being at odds with his recovery and how far along he was didn't appear overnight.  So why no communication?  Instead, they extended him, him and staff fell at odds... and the Titans were out 2M from that exchange.  

But to skip all the other nonsense... aside from Byard, tell me 1 player he's brought in since his time here who is a slam dunk, core member of the team... a guy we can't let sniff FA?  Ryan?  Davis?  Brown hopefully?  We have a lot of hope for our younger guys in Evans, Landry, Simmons, Brown, etc... and hopefully in the next couple of years they prove to be on that list.  But our core... our legit All Pro candidates consist of Lewan, Byard, and Casey (not so far this year).  Considering he inherited a barren team... with the 1st overall pick which he turned into a bounty and a ton of cap space with not much internal talent to use it up on... and we're still lagging behind in terms of top tier talent.  Ryan was an outstanding signing... Murray was good for a year... I like Butler, but most don't... Vaccaro's been ok.  Our DLine has gone from a strength to a weakness this year... Same with the OLine.  Lewis looks like a bust of a signing... The early return on Saffold and Humphries not so good (although hopefully they rebound soon).

Byard is his saving grace so far.  I hope some of these players take that next step and continue to build this team, but it's absurd to think that JRob isn't feeling some sort of pressure that this talented team of his players, with his coaches, isn't taking the next step.  

Not that I want this to happen by any means, but I'm curious what others think about it. How long of a leash do you think Vrabel gets here? He was hired under the pretenses of taking our average/good team that was a 9-7 playoff team and turning them into a consistent contender. He failed that in year 1, and this year so far we've looked to decline in almost every area. So how long theoretically does Vrabel get before his seat starts to get hot? I say he gets two more years after this one, and if we haven't visibly improved/made the playoffs somewhere in that span I could see both Vrabel and JRob being out.

How many All-Pros do we expect GMs to bring in each year? Do we count players who were a literal All-Pro and have never bounced back from an injury? 

I don't think anyone was praising him for cutting Dodd, it was simply brought up as contributing evidence that he hasn't tried to hold on to players simply because he whiffed on them, because there is literally nothing to support that idea.

He hasn't nailed everything like many claimed in his first couple years, but he's added a lot of talent to the team and I think he's done a decent job.