Mike Vrabel

dtait93

23 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I would just like to stop the knee-jerk reactions and actually give people several years to establish something. Saying a coach is on the hot seat after 4 games is just hilarious to me. Everyone loved him in August after going 9-7 in a season where Blaine Gabbert started 3 games and played significant snaps in 2 others, but now he should be on the hot seat and we should be looking elsewhere?

Get the hell outta here with that.

I'm done with firing someone 20 games into their job. We've tried that already. A new coach every 2 years just for the sake of giving fans "hope" because it's the unknown isn't solving anything.

I agree that a new coach every two years isn't solving anything, but sticking with a guy that's in over his head for another year just for the sake of having some continuity isn't solving anything either if he's not the right guy for the job. I'm not saying Vrabel is necessarily in over his head as a head coach. I feel like that's yet to be determined, but if we keep putting out performances like we did yesterday and the season falls apart and we miss the playoffs and finish 6-10 or something like that I definitely don't think he should get some kind of free pass just because it's only his second year when you consider the team that he inherited.  He didn't take a rebuilding job. He took a team that was seemingly on the cusp of becoming a consistent threat in the AFC and up to this point we've declined. If we miss the playoffs again I don't think it'd be a knee jerk reaction to evaluate Vrabel's job performance at that point.

Just now, SerenityNow said:

I agree that a new coach every two years isn't solving anything, but sticking with a guy that's in over his head for another year just for the sake of having some continuity isn't solving anything either if he's not the right guy for the job. I'm not saying Vrabel is necessarily in over his head as a head coach. I feel like that's yet to be determined, but if we keep putting out performances like we did yesterday and the season falls apart and we miss the playoffs and finish 6-10 or something like that I definitely don't think he should get some kind of free pass just because it's only his second year when you consider the team that he inherited.  He didn't take a rebuilding job. He took a team that was seemingly on the cusp of becoming a consistent threat in the AFC and up to this point we've declined. If we miss the playoffs again I don't think it'd be a knee jerk reaction to evaluate Vrabel's job performance at that point.

We disagree on the bold, but we know he's not in over his head after last year. 

If you wanna know why we didn't make the playoffs last year go look at how many starts Blaine Gabbert had. This is a QB driven league, and teams playing many meaningful snaps with Blaine Gabbert don't make the playoffs.

Also, teams that make the playoffs each year are generally teams with an elite QB. We've got this convo going in a different thread.

I think my biggest concern long term is that we're going to end up in the same situation we did with Marcus where Vrabel will get a year to pick his QB. He'll get a guy. That QB will show promise, but the OLine and team around him will still struggle, and we'll ultimately fire Vrabel in year 3 and back on the merry go round we'll go of changing coaches for our young QB early in his career. I guess in an ideal world I'd just like the coach and QB that he picks to be on the same time table, but if Vrabel has us in a top position to draft a QB this next offseason he's going to be on the hot seat regardless. That's just the nature of the league. 

How I'll feel about Vrabel's job security is dependent on how we finish this year. Yeah the first month has sucked for the most part, but we're 2-3 and can still turn this thing around. The biggest thing for me is that I absolutely love the defensive staff Vrabel has built, and I'd probably be willing to give Vrabs extra time just to keep all those guys in the fold. Our biggest problems are the OLine coach and Arthur right now. Though I feel like Arthur is improving with his playcalling week to week and starting to learn that Marcus needs to get in a rhythm early and needs more spread out shotgun type of formations. We just need to figure out our protections, and I feel like that would change everything for us. We seemed to handle things well in Atlanta and then lost it yesterday against a better defense. The OLine coach is on the hot seat more than anyone right now, and we need to figure the OLine out ASAP otherwise our season is dead in the water.

• Like 1

Not to harp, but the idea that concepts like establishing a winning culture and a commitment to excellence are just media buzzwords totally disregards the mental and personal aspect of being a football team and a football player. It’s not just X’s and O’s and utilizing the talent the best way possible 

it’s locker room and player management. It’s getting them to believe they’re better than they are. It’s managing internal conflict. It’s the type of players you do/don’t bring in. Etc

You can see the pipes getting close to bursting in our locker room. Delanie Walker is pisssssed and venting. Saffold has a terrible post game quote yesterday about “this team” being inconsistent. This is a group know that knows it should be enjoying more success than they should. Mularkey got them believing in themselves and coached a resilient team. Vrabel was here to take an overachieving team and take it to the next level with more talent. Call it a buzzword all you want, but the HC entering that situation needs to establish a commitment to excellence from the team, because being committed to excellence is what wins you Super Bowls. Vrabel knows better than anyone that that’s not just some media buzzword

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Not to harp, but the idea that concepts like establishing a winning culture and a commitment to excellence are just media buzzwords totally disregards the mental and personal aspect of being a football team and a football player. It’s not just X’s and O’s and utilizing the talent the best way possible 

it’s locker room and player management. It’s getting them to believe they’re better than they are. It’s managing internal conflict. It’s the type of players you do/don’t bring in. Etc

You can see the pipes getting close to bursting in our locker room. Delanie Walker is pisssssed and venting. Saffold has a terrible post game quote yesterday about “this team” being inconsistent. This is a group know that knows it should be enjoying more success than they should. Mularkey got them believing in themselves and coached a resilient team. Vrabel was here to take an overachieving team and take it to the next level with more talent. Call it a buzzword all you want, but the HC entering that situation needs to establish a commitment to excellence from the team, because being committed to excellence is what wins you Super Bowls. Vrabel knows better than anyone that that’s not just some media buzzword

Sure. There is such a thing as culture in a locker room. The things you were saying earlier were literally catch phrases the media uses when talking about a team. 

If the players catch their balls and make their kicks yesterday we win that game. The gameplan worked and they didn't execute. The pipes close to bursting? Why because players were upset after losing a game they should have won? I would hope they were upset. 

Guess what? Only one team has won a Super Bowl since he became our head coach. So, yeah, maybe you're jumping the gun on this one. Maybe you're right, but there is absolutely no way you could tell that at this point. 3 games ago literally no one thought he was anywhere close to being on the hot seat after going 9-7 with Blaine Gabbert as his starter in 3 games the year before.

Edited by TitanSS

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I cited them as an example of a team that acquired talented players for their young QB, which is what OBJ, Landry, etc are

Sure, but you were using it in a sense of how things should be done and how it's laughable what we've done for Mariota in the same day that they got curb stomped and scored 3 points.

Adding players with name recognition is only guaranteed to win you the off-season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Wasn't Odell brought up at some point in here, as well as Brown, and everyone pretty much unanimously decided that they wouldn't want them on our team?

I believe defense wins championships. I don’t care for all pro WR & franchise Elite QB’s I believe you can win with an above average QB with elite defense & a balanced offense

14 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I believe defense wins championships. I don’t care for all pro WR & franchise Elite QB’s I believe you can win with an above average QB with elite defense & a balanced offense

Welp we got 1 of the 3

I was one of the first people to jump on Vrabel after the week 2 game. But I agree we need to be patient. We knew he was going to go through some... Challenges. 

His job hasn't been made easier with his OC choices. We were all excited about Lafleur... But the reality was that he was a 1st year play caller and the first time he was being asked to build his offense. We went the same route with Smith... And even a step back with his lack of experience.

Vrabel's forte is defense... Yet he went with an experienced DC and new OC... When the experience was needed more on offense. 

Like Serenity said... As bad as it feels, we're 2-3 right now, 1 loss out of 1st place. Lewan will only get better and hopefully he stabilizes the left side of the line a little. Saffold can't possibly continue being as bad as he's been, and now time alongside Lewan should help their rapport. Pamphile also practiced last week, so maybe he comes in and improves the RG play (even below average would be an improvement there). I think once the OL stabilizes, we'll see what this offense can do.