Mike Vrabel

dtait93

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I didnt think the sort of deflated, pathetic, already-gave-up before time ran out attitude the team had yesterday wouldn't have happened under Vrabel. That was more embarrassing than the 59-0 beatdown by the Pats. At least those guys were good.

Sorry. Nothing beats the 59-0 whooping in my mind. That was the most embarrassing game ever. Most hurtful was the CJ Ravens game. 

But I think 9 wins can legit win this division. 

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I have to wonder if JRob has anything to do with this.  We were sold on Adoree's draft in large part because he could be a weapon on D and on STs.  So far he's been JAG on D... and worse on STs.  He may be trying to force that move, selling the idea that it wasn't a wasted pick.

Someone mentioned this earlier... but the more time passes, the worse off his picks start to look.  It's no lie:

• Conklin - Looked like a huge find as an all pro his rookie season... and he's completely fallen off... 5th year option not picked up, and has been bad the past couple of weeks, after a promising preseason.  May not be brought back
    • Dodd - Bust of epic proportions
    • A Johnson - Had hopes for him, but looking like another huge bust
    • Henry and especially Byard save him from a complete bust of a draft.
    • Sharpe - Good pick for the round. Nothing special though... JAG... and sadly he's become our deep threat.
    • Sims flashed a bit, and is a good 4th CB, but I don't expect much else from him
    • Rest of draft is zero
    • Corey Davis - shows potential, but hasn't produced to his #5 overall status
    • Adoree - JAG on D... bust on STs. Option shouldn't be picked up
    • T Taylor - Bust
    • J Smith has shown potential, but hasn't really put too much on the field
    • Brown looks like he may be one of the nicer players on our D.  Has been a bit down this year after an outstanding year last year.
    • Rest of the draft is zero
    • Too early to tell... Evans and Landry have flashed potential... but haven't hit their stride yet
    • Cruikshank may be a STs player and nothing else
    • Nothing else to show in this draft

Byard, Henry, Davis and Brown... that's 4 out of his first 19 picks (16/17) that right now look at must bring backs (and even Henry is questionable, as he seems to be limited by what he can do in the passing game.  Everyone else is JAG or won't be brought back for a 2nd contract

Smith was a project and I actually like him a lot. I would bring him back. His blocking has improved a lot and we all know he has wheels.

Corey Davis is a good player with a below average QB who is playing even worse because of a bad OL and scheme. Would resign him, but I wouldn't blame him if he chose not to come back. 

Once you get past the 3rd round you're very lucky of players are anything more than backups/STs so I don't really give negatives for those unless they're just so bad they don't belong in the NFL.

The 2016 draft looks pretty bad outside of Byard and Henry, but besides that I think he's  been pretty good outside of the Adoree Jackson pick. Taylor was a bad pick, but the success of 3rd RD WRs isn't very high either. 

He definitely hasn't been perfect, but they don't call the draft a lottery because people can master it and never miss. 

Kevin Dodd and Adoree Jackson are the picks that make me want to dislike Robinson. I hated both picks with a passion.

I also really didn't like the Derrick Henry pick, so he had me there. I liked Austin Johnson and was wrong. I liked Taylor and was way wrong. I said Conklin was a 2nd rounder and a reach but was so shocked by all the trades I didn't really have a negative reaction.

I really wanted to take Tunsil 1st overall, so it's a shame we didn't take him when that video came out, but I completely understood at the time. Now it looks dumb to pass on him.

But in the 2 years that aren't too early he got Henry, Byard, Davis, Smith, and Brown. I think there are 5 good players there and Henry would be the only one I don't bring back, and I would if the price was right.

However, even if we include all 4 drafts there are no potential OL to out in there. That's not what you want to see. I left Conklin off the list because I thought he looked good in games 1 and 2, however, it sounds like he was awful after I shot off last night's game.

12 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Smith was a project and I actually like him a lot. I would bring him back. His blocking has improved a lot and we all know he has wheels.

Corey Davis is a good player with a below average QB who is playing even worse because of a bad OL and scheme. Would resign him, but I wouldn't blame him if he chose not to come back. 

Once you get past the 3rd round you're very lucky of players are anything more than backups/STs so I don't really give negatives for those unless they're just so bad they don't belong in the NFL.

The 2016 draft looks pretty bad outside of Byard and Henry, but besides that I think he's  been pretty good outside of the Adoree Jackson pick. Taylor was a bad pick, but the success of 3rd RD WRs isn't very high either. 

He definitely hasn't been perfect, but they don't call the draft a lottery because people can master it and never miss. 

Kevin Dodd and Adoree Jackson are the picks that make me want to dislike Robinson. I hated both picks with a passion.

I also really didn't like the Derrick Henry pick, so he had me there. I liked Austin Johnson and was wrong. I liked Taylor and was way wrong. I said Conklin was a 2nd rounder and a reach but was so shocked by all the trades I didn't really have a negative reaction.

I really wanted to take Tunsil 1st overall, so it's a shame we didn't take him when that video came out, but I completely understood at the time. Now it looks dumb to pass on him.

But in the 2 years that aren't too early he got Henry, Byard, Davis, Smith, and Brown. I think there are 5 good players there and Henry would be the only one I don't bring back, and I would if the price was right.

However, even if we include all 4 drafts there are no potential OL to out in there. That's not what you want to see. I left Conklin off the list because I thought he looked good in games 1 and 2, however, it sounds like he was awful after I shot off last night's game.

Calling Smith a hit at this point is debatable. He's in year 3, and hasn't even hit 50 recepyions or 500 yards for his career. He's shown some improvement, but hasn't put it together yet.

But anyway, hitting on 4 or 5 picks over 2 years isn't horrible... But when those 2 drafts yield 19 total picks, instead of 14, it looks much worse (20% hit rate?). Let's also not forget that he inhereted the 1st overall pick, which he turned into those 19 picks (for the most part). 

Breaking it down even further, he's hit on 1 of 3 1st round picks (2 of those picks being top 10 selections)... And 1 of 3 2nd round picks. That's just not good. 

https://overthecap.com/looking-at-nfl-draft-success-since-2015/

That was written last year... And includes a year prior to JRob... But another year doesn't paint a prettier picture. 

Out of those 6 1st and 2nd round picks (all top 45 picks), he has yet to produce a bonafide star player. Davis is the only one that shows flashes of being one (whether he's being held back by qb or system is very much in play)... Henry has been outstanding the last 10 games or so (but may be playing his last year in TN). But still shows bad misses right now on 4 of those other picks. 

He deserves credit for the Byard and Brown picks, but thats still 2 of 13 picks he's hit on after the 2nd. 

Hitting 50 receptions in this offense is going to be difficult. We had, what, one WR do that last year? Let alone a 2nd year TE. When we get an OC, OL, and a QB we can base a passing attack around it will be easier to judge guys like Davis, Brown, and Smith, but who knows when that will happen.

And yeah, his 2016 year was really bad assuming Conklin ends up not being resigned. 2017 is going to depend on Davis and Smith, but Jackson should have never been the pick there. I was furious when we made the pick and I know you wanted White easily over him too.

On 20.09.2019 at 11:55 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

I have to wonder if JRob has anything to do with this.  We were sold on Adoree's draft in large part because he could be a weapon on D and on STs.  So far he's been JAG on D... and worse on STs.  He may be trying to force that move, selling the idea that it wasn't a wasted pick.

Someone mentioned this earlier... but the more time passes, the worse off his picks start to look.  It's no lie:

• Conklin - Looked like a huge find as an all pro his rookie season... and he's completely fallen off... 5th year option not picked up, and has been bad the past couple of weeks, after a promising preseason.  May not be brought back
    • Dodd - Bust of epic proportions
    • A Johnson - Had hopes for him, but looking like another huge bust
    • Henry and especially Byard save him from a complete bust of a draft.
    • Sharpe - Good pick for the round. Nothing special though... JAG... and sadly he's become our deep threat.
    • Sims flashed a bit, and is a good 4th CB, but I don't expect much else from him
    • Rest of draft is zero
    • Corey Davis - shows potential, but hasn't produced to his #5 overall status
    • Adoree - JAG on D... bust on STs. Option shouldn't be picked up
    • T Taylor - Bust
    • J Smith has shown potential, but hasn't really put too much on the field
    • Brown looks like he may be one of the nicer players on our D.  Has been a bit down this year after an outstanding year last year.
    • Rest of the draft is zero
    • Too early to tell... Evans and Landry have flashed potential... but haven't hit their stride yet
    • Cruikshank may be a STs player and nothing else
    • Nothing else to show in this draft

Byard, Henry, Davis and Brown... that's 4 out of his first 19 picks (16/17) that right now look at must bring backs (and even Henry is questionable, as he seems to be limited by what he can do in the passing game.  Everyone else is JAG or won't be brought back for a 2nd contract

That's honestly a very dumb thing to wonder. This goes against everything that we've seen from him so far, which is that even when he screws up, he's not afraid at all to man up to it and find ways to move on from it immediately, not letting it affect the team for long.

3 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

That's honestly a very dumb thing to wonder. This goes against everything that we've seen from him so far, which is that even when he screws up, he's not afraid at all to man up to it and find ways to move on from it immediately, not letting it affect the team for long.

Is it? Credit on Taylor... But who else? Dodd? Please. Mularkey wasn't his hire, it was AAS'. Where exactly has he "manned up"? 

I'm just so beyond tired of having timid offenses that have zero killer instinct. I've become so numb to it though, because I can't honestly remember the last time we actually had an aggressive offense in our Franchise history. We've always been about running the football and protecting the football. Which are great fundamental principles to winning football games obviously, but time and time again when a team inevitably shuts our run game down our offense is completely done, because we've never had a passing attack that scared anybody. I'm just tired of it. Tired of this smash mouth football BS that every coach since Jeff Fisher has preached to us. Tired of having QBs that were nothing more than "game managers" tired of having a team philosophy that if God forbid one thing goes wrong like a fumbled punt or our defense gives up a big TD play our entire gameplan is wrecked. 

I'm tired of every single Titans offense playing scared. Scared to make mistakes, scared to take chances in the pass game and actually open up the playbook. I like Vrabel, but for the love of God all I'm asking for is a 21st Century offense that can make adjustments when something goes wrong for a change, but I've been asking for that for over a decade now, so apparently for us that's just a little too much to ask for. We will be a "smashmouth" football team until the end of time.

Edited by SerenityNow
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Is it? Credit on Taylor... But who else? Dodd? Please. Mularkey wasn't his hire, it was AAS'. Where exactly has he "manned up"? 

Murray, when he got worse. Not picking up Conklin's 5th year or extending him, when it was clear he wasn't the player he was his rookie year anymore. Where else has he screwed up that he didn't intervene to correct? To assume that he's behind keeping Adoree returning punts to save face for that pick is just insane.

Murray? That's business... Older RB on a big contract who got hurt and had a bad season. That guy's are cut so the time. Not picking up a 5th year option... Again normal business. 

Cutting a 3rd round pick after 2 seasons... That's not normal. He even kept Dodd around 2 seasons when he probably should have cut him after year 1.

He runs behind a year on our major weaknesses... Then scrambles to fill it the following year. 

He gave Matthews and extension last year right before he asked for his release. The staff obviously had issues with him... Yet he turns around and guarantees more money? 

Adoree continues to make bone headed decisions back there. He's not a wash back there, he's a negative. Vrabel knows this yet he keeps giving chances? Why... He's not his draft pick. 

6 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Murray? That's business... Older RB on a big contract who got hurt and had a bad season. That guy's are cut so the time. Not picking up a 5th year option... Again normal business. 

Cutting a 3rd round pick after 2 seasons... That's not normal. He even kept Dodd around 2 seasons when he probably should have cut him after year 1.

He runs behind a year on our major weaknesses... Then scrambles to fill it the following year. 

He gave Matthews and extension last year right before he asked for his release. The staff obviously had issues with him... Yet he turns around and guarantees more money? 

Adoree continues to make bone headed decisions back there. He's not a wash back there, he's a negative. Vrabel knows this yet he keeps giving chances? Why... He's not his draft pick. 

It is business, indeed. Good business. He moved on from a RB he got us for nothing that was really great for us year 1, right after he started declining. Moved on from a bad pick in Dodd when it was clear he wasn't developing into anything worth keeping. I know us, as fans, have this natural ability to tell whether a player sucks or is an All-Pro in the making that the league executives clearly don't share, though they try their best. For a high investment pick they tried for a couple of years, one of which, IIRC, was injury plagued. Moved on from it at the exact time, in my book.

Same with Taywan. I remember a time in here when people for calling for heads because Taywan didn't see enough time on the field as a rookie. Now apparently they're to blame for moving on from him too late.

He gave a one year extension mostly structured on bonuses to a player that was at the time our best receiver. Crazy, I know. If there issues the staff had with him before the stunt he pulled I don't remember them. What I remember was that on the field he was the most reliable WR we had.

He doesn't run behind on anything. He inherited a roster with major holes to fill. First the OL, which he fixed right away. Drafted what seemed like the next best thing at T for us before injuries and regression, found two guards that were serviceable and signed a C relatively for cheap that was just good enough. Then the depleted secondary and WR corps, that he then starts to rebuild basically from scratch. We now have a borderline All-Pro safety, another very reliable S he picked off the street, and three CBs that can start. Granted, Butler may have been overpayed and Adoree overdrafted, but Ryan continues to be a stud for us and the other two are just good enough to complete a good/sometimes great secondary. He was in a position where he had to maybe overextend to fill the holes we had. He didn't get us there, he got us out of it. Same thing with the receiving corps. We now have two promising young receivers on roster. The third one he basically replaced in the offseason when signing Humphries and moved on from him while acquiring a future pick, just at the right time. Then, same thing with the LB corps.

Sure, he messed up a few things along the way, it's the nature of being an NFL executive. But to think he's not the whole reason we have the talent we currently on our roster, is simply insane. And to think that although nothing he has done so far would suggest it, as a matter of fact it suggests the contrary, that he would double down so hard on a failed experiment, is again, just plain dumb.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

It is business, indeed. Good business. He moved on from a RB he got us for nothing that was really great for us year 1, right after he started declining. Moved on from a bad pick in Dodd when it was clear he wasn't developing into anything worth keeping. I know us, as fans, have this natural ability to tell whether a player sucks or is an All-Pro in the making that the league executives clearly don't share, though they try their best. For a high investment pick they tried for a couple of years, one of which, IIRC, was injury plagued. Moved on from it at the exact time, in my book.

Same with Taywan. I remember a time in here when people for calling for heads because Taywan didn't see enough time on the field as a rookie. Now apparently they're to blame for moving on from him too late.

He gave a one year extension mostly structured on bonuses to a player that was at the time our best receiver. Crazy, I know. If there issues the staff had with him before the stunt he pulled I don't remember them. What I remember was that on the field he was the most reliable WR we had.

He doesn't run behind on anything. He inherited a roster with major holes to fill. First the OL, which he fixed right away. Drafted what seemed like the next best thing at T for us before injuries and regression, found two guards that were serviceable and signed a C relatively for cheap that was just good enough. Then the depleted secondary and WR corps, that he then starts to rebuild basically from scratch. We now have a borderline All-Pro safety, another very reliable S he picked off the street, and three CBs that can start. Granted, Butler may have been overpayed and Adoree overdrafted, but Ryan continues to be a stud for us and the other two are just good enough to complete a good/sometimes great secondary. He was in a position where he had to maybe overextend to fill the holes we had. He didn't get us there, he got us out of it. Same thing with the receiving corps. We now have two promising young receivers on roster. The third one he basically replaced in the offseason when signing Humphries and moved on from him while acquiring a future pick, just at the right time. Then, same thing with the LB corps.

Sure, he messed up a few things along the way, it's the nature of being an NFL executive. But to think he's not the whole reason we have the talent we currently on our roster, is simply insane. And to think that although nothing he has done so far would suggest it, as a matter of fact it suggests the contrary, that he would double down so hard on a failed experiment, is again, just plain dumb.

This is a good post!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

This is them good goods that keep me coming back for more.

37 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

This is a good post!

JRob walked into a situation where this team had the first pick and a qb so he didn’t have to draft one . J Rob made a splash with the Murray signing which made all of us giddy , he made a trade two weeks before the draft that was viewed as a highway robbery at the time as well. We as fans were new to this , we never had a gm who made these kind of moves so JRob jumped up a few notches right out of the gate . However looking back he squandered those picks and now all we can do is watch the “superstars “ he passed on whoop up on us twice a year in Ramsey and tunsil while we’re stuck with trash Conklin etc. 

I said it a year ago and was trashed on but now there’s no hiding it . JRob is garbage , yea we have talent on this team but not as much as us fans think. We can’t even beat backup QBs , if our team was soooo awesome we wouldn’t lose to a luckless and foleless football team. We have one superstar that was drafted bY Robinson on this  team “one” and people don’t even really know byard. 

Edited by FutureIsWhite