Patriots release WR Antonio Brown

RaidersAreOne

This was also well before the Burfict hit...

Take the easy TD down the sideline (like #20 expected and was confused why it didn't happen) or cut back to the center of the field and kick a punter in the face. I know at the time Steeler fans said it was a clean play and Lanning was at fault for ducking but that was just hometown fans seeing what they wanted. That wasn't normal and that was 5 years ago when he was "clean". He was always a me player worried about stats and it has become exaggerated but it seems to have more to do with buying into his own self worth than a hit that occurred. I'm sure he will be diagnosed with CTE if ever tested but I'm also pretty sure I will and most that have played contact sports or was a daredevil at some point in their life.

I'm not giving CTE to him as an excuse for his actions because if he thinks he has an out he will likely test the boundaries even more than he has.

• Like 1

So yahoo is reporting that the Pats are likely going to have to pay AB his signing bonus. I cannot, for the life of me, understand what they're talking about.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patriots-failed-in-their-contract-with-antonio-brown-and-bob-kraft-will-end-up-paying-him-9-m-more-010018469.html

Didn't the Pats have language in the contract that specifically gave them room to cut AB for basically anything? This is just dumb clickbait garbo, right? It seems like the author just read a paragraph or two of the CBA and made up some fake sources. I almost don't even feel like this was really worth mentioning, but I also could just be incredibly mistaken.

6 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

So yahoo is reporting that the Pats are likely going to have to pay AB his signing bonus. I cannot, for the life of me, understand what they're talking about.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patriots-failed-in-their-contract-with-antonio-brown-and-bob-kraft-will-end-up-paying-him-9-m-more-010018469.html

Didn't the Pats have language in the contract that specifically gave them room to cut AB for basically anything? This is just dumb clickbait garbo, right? It seems like the author just read a paragraph or two of the CBA and made up some fake sources. I almost don't even feel like this was really worth mentioning, but I also could just be incredibly mistaken.

I think it is more likely that a signing bonus is 100% guaranteed than otherwise. Its a signing bonus that is guaranteed at signing. Otherwise it would be a 'roster bonus' which would be paid for being on the roster, which also exist (its how the niners gave Garoppolo like 30 million when he signed his deal, so that it would count 100% against the cap in year one rather than having it be prorated in future years). 

The fact remains that we don't know what the language says, and Kraft may be doing this purely out of spite and to waste Brown's time and energy. 

Another layer to this I haven't heard anything about - guaranteed money in the NFL is supposed to go into an escrow account the day the contract is signed. This means that there is 9 million sitting somewhere. Its not a matter of Kraft writing a check, its signing escrow instructions to release the funds. He also cannot pull the money out of the escrow account without Brown giving it the OK. So its not like Kraft gets to keep the money. 

At some point, it will have to be resolved in some manner. In the meantime Kraft feels nothing while that's a lot of money to AB. 

Everyone remember this picture?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Fd1QpuyURwHpE86e7 

Pepperidge farm remembers

I don’t have the link but I believe the Patriots are seeking to void the contract given they were unaware of the pending sexual assault charges. Not sure how that is treated under the CBA. If not disclosing possible litigation that would influence your availability is considered bad faith. All that being said, this is one of the times I’m rooting for the Patriots. He shouldn’t collect 9m for a couple practices and one game, that’s like Ryan Leaf type of overpaid. 

46 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I don’t have the link but I believe the Patriots are seeking to void the contract given they were unaware of the pending sexual assault charges. Not sure how that is treated under the CBA. If not disclosing possible litigation that would influence your availability is considered bad faith. All that being said, this is one of the times I’m rooting for the Patriots. He shouldn’t collect 9m for a couple practices and one game, that’s like Ryan Leaf type of overpaid. 

The problem apparently is that the Pats played AB and kept him on the roster after news of the lawsuit was public knowledge.   Had they cut him before the MIA game they’d have a case but by playing him vs. MIA it voids the argument.   Pretty compelling.  

I guess we can truly say going to FLA hasn’t really worked out well for Kraft.  One way or the other lol.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

My understanding is that they were willing to work with him through his legal troubles. He was cut over the texts he sent as a Patriot. The Pats had some pretty decent language that shields them I think, but again I'm not sure. I'm no expert.

I don't think that really covers the reason they cut him. That is moreso if he criticizes the club or employees than embarrasses them because he is a Patriot and he does stupid things outside of football. The Patriots for the most part brought that embarrassment on themselves when they signed him I don't think people look at the potential sexual assaulter more harshly because of the texts than the actual accused act.

22 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

This was also well before the Burfict hit...

Take the easy TD down the sideline (like #20 expected and was confused why it didn't happen) or cut back to the center of the field and kick a punter in the face. I know at the time Steeler fans said it was a clean play and Lanning was at fault for ducking but that was just hometown fans seeing what they wanted. That wasn't normal and that was 5 years ago when he was "clean". He was always a me player worried about stats and it has become exaggerated but it seems to have more to do with buying into his own self worth than a hit that occurred. I'm sure he will be diagnosed with CTE if ever tested but I'm also pretty sure I will and most that have played contact sports or was a daredevil at some point in their life.

I'm not giving CTE to him as an excuse for his actions because if he thinks he has an out he will likely test the boundaries even more than he has.

I cant stand Antonio anymore, and I still see it as an accident.     He went to hurdle a player who he thought was going to go for a leg tackle but didnt.

AB always had an ego and attitude problem, but it was kept under wraps....but I dont see this his punt return as a dirty play.   Obviously, we dont have any idea what was going on in his head, so I cant say anything with any certainty, though.    

27 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I cant stand Antonio anymore, and I still see it as an accident.     He went to hurdle a player who he thought was going to go for a leg tackle but didnt.

AB always had an ego and attitude problem, but it was kept under wraps....but I dont see this his punt return as a dirty play.   Obviously, we dont have any idea what was going on in his head, so I cant say anything with any certainty, though.    

Ha! You see it how you see it nothing I can really do to change that. We've went down this road before so no sense doing it again. I do disagree that he thought the best play was head towards the only player in his vision but it helped the Browns on the play and hurt the Steelers so I support it even if is was a small battle win in a long losing war you gotta take what you can get.

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

Ha! You see it how you see it nothing I can really do to change that. We've went down this road before so no sense doing it again. I do disagree that he thought the best play was head towards the only player in his vision but it helped the Browns on the play and hurt the Steelers so I support it even if is was a small battle win in a long losing war you gotta take what you can get.

Well, I was giving you the perspective of a Steeler fan who was a HUGE AB fan AT THE TIME compared to the same Steeler fan who despises AB NOW.     

Even though my opinion of AB has changed DRASTICALLY, my opinion the play has not.

But like I said, I have no idea what was going through his head at the time.    Cannot be proven one way or the other.

You can look at ABs rap sheet and the only negative thing on there is that kick to the punter. Everything else is after the Burfict hit. His interviews are also completely different/he talks completely different. 

AB pre Burfict hit is one of my favorite NFL players of all time. But IMO he does have the worse case of CTE ever and we’ll find out before we die. 

Once again, not excusing him, the old AB is dead. This new one is an abomination.