Aaron Donald holdout expected to miss Week 1

RuskieTitan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20619172/holdout-aaron-donald-expected-miss-opener-los-angeles-rams

Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is expected to miss Sunday's season opener against the Indianapolis Colts as he continues his prolonged holdout, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Donald has not shown up throughout the Rams' training camp and preseason, racking up approximately $1.4 million in fines. If he doesn't report before Sunday's 1:05 p.m. PT kickoff at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, he will lose one game check from a contract that will pay him a base salary of $1.8 million.

Not sure what Donald hopes to gain, at this point he should show up, ask the fines to be wiped away, and play out this year to earn his contract next season.

17 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Not sure what Donald hopes to gain, at this point he should show up, ask the fines to be wiped away, and play out this year to earn his contract next season.

He hopes to gain a contract in line with what he does on the field. Why shouldn't he hold out? 

Both he and OBJ are from the same draft class and similar caliber players.  For all the crap OBJ gets for being a diva, at least he's out there working hard and doing his job despite being severely underpaid as well.  I don't mind if players miss training camp and preseason with a holdout.  But when the games start to matter, get out there and continue to prove your worth.

Just now, Gmen said:

Both he and OBJ are from the same draft class and similar caliber players.  For all the crap OBJ gets for being a diva, at least he's out there working hard and doing his job despite being severely underpaid as well.  I don't mind if players miss training camp and preseason with a holdout.  But when the games start to matter, get out there and continue to prove your worth.

Serious question....why? 

Good for him.  Teams need to feel the hurt when they are unwilling to pay their players what they are worth.  Teams routinely don't honor contracts when they feel the player is paid more than they are worth, why should a player whose contract is far below their actual value honor them?

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

He hopes to gain a contract in line with what he does on the field. Why shouldn't he hold out? 

I don't recall any players who got new contracts with 2+ year's remaining on their rookie deals, if I'm not mistaken. At least none of the first round players that teams can keep for an additional year for cheap.

23 minutes ago, beezee said:

Good for him.  Teams need to feel the hurt when they are unwilling to pay their players what they are worth.  Teams routinely don't honor contracts when they feel the player is paid more than they are worth, why should a player whose contract is far below their actual value honor them?

Donald will get paid one way or another eventually.  He should wait just like the rest of the players from his draft class.  There is insurance if you're worried about injury.  Once you start costing your team games by being unavailable, your value should go down.

Not sure what he plans to accomplish. His mega deal is incoming whether he holds out or not. Maybe it'll come a little bit sooner, but after the fines, time missed, and potentially-missed games, is it worth it? He's not adding tens of millions onto his contract by holding out. 

And yes, I get it becomes more relevant when factoring in risk of injury, but I'm still not sure the risk-reward is worth it.

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Donald will get paid one way or another eventually.  He should wait just like the rest of the players from his draft class.  There is insurance if you're worried about injury.  Once you start costing your team games by being unavailable, your value should go down.

Value going down is certainly a risk he is taking.  But the logic shouldn't follow "everyone else sticks with their contract he should too".  If we all jumped off a bridge, would you do it despite you believing that it's in your best interest to not do so?

31 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I get why Donald is doing what he's doing, but he doesn't have much leverage.  This works better when you are on the last year of your contract, not when you still have two seasons left.

He does have leverage.  He is the best player on the team and he could just not play - which severely will hurt the team.

Archived